Murder at Midnight Mafia Game Thread (Day 4) [Game Over; Town Wins!]

********OFFICIAL VOTECOUNT********

Stark -- JC, Drums, 80, Barry, Greenseed (5)

Ape -- CTM (1)

JC -- JiF, JETS (2)

JETS -- Crusher (1)

Drums -- Stark (1)

Crusher -- Ape (1)

Greenseed -- jvill (1)

With 12 people alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Just now, CTM said:

no edit rule sucks, i thought we dispensed with that pedantic crap when the lawyer stopped playing

I have been questioning whether or not it's too strict of a rule. I've always made it a point never to do it myself, but perhaps I shouldn't be forcing that on other people. I made the rule to avoid situations where someone edits a post to alter a vote, fix a slip-up, or otherwise retroactively alter their gameplay in a way that's out of the spirit of the game. Admittedly, as far as I remember, someone has only edited a post to alter a vote twice (Greenseed now, which appears wholly innocent, and Pac to add his unvote in post deadline, so his vote counted because he thinks unvoting is dumb.) In my time here I can't recall anyone editing for any of those other reasons I mentioned.

Perhaps the rule is unnecessary, and, should anyone start to abuse the edit function in a dishonest way, we can adjust then and start enforcing the rule.

If enough people want me to, I can abolish the rule. My only intention is to protect the integrity of the game, but maybe I'm not giving people enough credit here.

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I have been questioning whether or not it's too strict of a rule. I've always made it a point never to do it myself, but perhaps I shouldn't be forcing that on other people. I made the rule to avoid situations where someone edits a post to alter a vote, fix a slip-up, or otherwise retroactively alter their gameplay in a way that's out of the spirit of the game. Admittedly, as far as I remember, someone has only edited a post to alter a vote twice (Greenseed now, which appears wholly innocent, and Pac to add his unvote in post deadline, so his vote counted because he thinks unvoting is dumb.) In my time here I can't recall anyone editing for any of those other reasons I mentioned.

Perhaps the rule is unnecessary, and, should anyone start to abuse the edit function in a dishonest way, we can adjust then and start enforcing the rule.

If enough people want me to, I can abolish the rule. My only intention is to protect the integrity of the game, but maybe I'm not giving people enough credit here.

My position is the rule is heavy handed, does little to acheive its stated goal, and not really enforceable systematically. Without mod powers it still requires someone to catch the edit in real time. Theres no way that I know of to see which post was edited after the fact.. Then if caught the edit couldve been innocuous or suspicious, without mod powers you cant tell.  A blanket rule would modkill either which to me is game breaking.

Better if an edit is caught to let the players chew on it.. imo

Btw I wasnt expecting anything more than rule 14 as a response, and while I appreciate your lengthy explanation you should probably respond to this with rule 14 and do what you want. It's not really a big deal 

• Upvote 2

Let the people edit.

If you’re editing posts as a means of manipulating game play, the gfy.

Somebod us use it just to fix fat fingering. I also sometime hit submit and then realize I have more to say - I will sometime add insults to a previous post. Only if it’s like right then. If time had passed, then no.

Its not hard to self-police and play ethically.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

True story: once after he randomly downvoted a funny post of yours, I made a joke about him and tagged him. He then sent me an expletive-laced PM calling me a "f*cking d*ckhead".

Suffiice to say, I think he'd be perfect for Mafia.

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He’s pm’d me too but to just ask how am I doing and wishing me the best. 

14 hours ago, Drums said:

He pm’d me too to ask if I had Herman Munster in my avatar when I was rocking a Boris Karloff avatar. 

We have an ongoing PM, it fun.  Each message is new picture of one of us dressing our penis in funny costumes.  . 

• Haha 3