So this is what our Offense could look like...

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Humphrey @ 23 and one of Jenkins/Mayfield/Eichenberg @ 34.  

Move McGovern to a Guard and let Clark battle it out for the other Guard spot with Van Rotten and Lewis.

Fant is the back up swing Tackle.  

Take a running back and Tommy Tremble with our third round picks.  

I think you got this flipped. Jenkins won't be there and 34. Decent chance Humphrey will be there at 34.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Where does Cam Clark fit?  LG? 

I would think he can fit at either LG or RG, but if we're executing the scheme exactly how the 49ers did, he'd be a LG. He played LT in college, but his game wasn't finesse; he was a mauler who made a name for himself by redirecting his opponent vertically. 

The 49ers scheme (and wide zone in general) is all about stretching the defense wide right (C/RG/RT) and cutting off the backside defenders (usually LT/LG) on runs to the right, and runs to the left usually results in the entire offensive line stretching horizontally left in order to set up play-action/boot-action rollouts. Thus, the LG tends make more vertical blocks and/or works upfield in this running scheme, whereas the RG is consistently making lateral blocks. The RG technique is similar to what a tackle's would be. They mix in other gap schemes so you'll notice there's a higher emphasis placed on strength/toughness for the 49ers OL then you would've seen in the Mike Shanahan days, where fleetness and agility were the priorities.

Not sure whether Cam Clark has what it takes to be a starter, but my guess he'd be prefered at LG. GVR is better suited on the left for the same reasons. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shanahan utilizes much lengthier, versatile guys/former tackles at RG throughout his 49ers tenure either... 

• Justin Skule (6'6", 315 lb., 33.88" arm) 
  • Tom Compton (6'5", 314 lb., 34" arm) 
  • Mike Person (6'5", 299 lb., 32.75" arm)  
  • Daniel Brunskill (6'5", 273 lb., 33.88" arm) 
  • Ben Garland (6'5", 288 lb., ? arm) 
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I would think he can fit at either LG or RG, but if we're executing the scheme exactly how the 49ers did, he'd be a LG. He played LT in college, but his game wasn't finesse; he was a mauler who made a name for himself by redirecting his opponent vertically. 

The 49ers scheme (and wide zone in general) is all about stretching the defense wide right (C/RG/RT) and cutting off the backside defenders (usually LT/LG) on runs to the right, and runs to the left usually results in the entire offensive line stretching horizontally left in order to set up play-action/boot-action rollouts. Thus, the LG tends make more vertical blocks and/or works upfield in this running scheme, whereas the RG is consistently making lateral blocks. The RG technique is similar to what a tackle's would be. They mix in other gap schemes so you'll notice there's a higher emphasis placed on strength/toughness for the 49ers OL then you would've seen in the Mike Shanahan days, where fleetness and agility were the priorities.

Not sure whether Cam Clark has what it takes to be a starter, but my guess he'd be prefered at LG. GVR is better suited on the left for the same reasons. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shanahan utilizes much lengthier, versatile guys/former tackles at RG throughout his 49ers tenure either... 

• Justin Skule (6'6", 315 lb., 33.88" arm) 
  • Tom Compton (6'5", 314 lb., 34" arm) 
  • Mike Person (6'5", 299 lb., 32.75" arm)  
  • Daniel Brunskill (6'5", 273 lb., 33.88" arm) 
  • Ben Garland (6'5", 288 lb., ? arm) 

This is really interesting and might tip off why they seem so high on Jenkins to plug in at RG.

• Upvote 1