Thinking back to the draft

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well, considering we had 3 picks in the top 34 picks, that isn’t too far of a reach…. Right? I think it’s more about we got the type of players that we needed at premium positions and they were the top rated players at their respective positions. 

Carter was an ABSOLUTE gift from heaven. Exactly the 1 cut elusive back we needed. 

Lol that is true but often with picks 15 and on they are not always matching the consensus. But yes, shocking Carter was there. He seemed to almost be a lock 2nd rounder.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Thought this was interesting. Found a "consensus" draft board that averaged 24 Draft Pick rankings, and we picked 3 of the Top 31 players (Wilson at 6, AVT at 15 and Elijah Moore at 31. Michael Carter was #71 and Nasirrildeen was 92. So @ of first 15, 3 of first 31 and 5 of the Top 92.

Now media and "draft expert" opinions don't mean a lot but it easy see the amazing value we got in this draft. The exception to the media rankings might be Simms on QBs and we know what he thinks of Zach

What is the inference to Simms thoughts on Zach? I’m not following 

• Upvote 1

Did you quote the wrong post? What’s the connection?
My only point was if we were drafting need there is a huge possibilty we'd end up with Trubisky if he was still there.... then where would we be?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

My only point was if we were drafting need there is a huge possibilty we'd end up with Trubisky if he was still there.... then where would we be?

But he wasn’t there and Mahomes/Watson were. Nevertheless, he still would’ve been a better pick than Adams. If you need a QB and you are picking them high, you either draft one or trade down.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dunnie said:

BAP is not dead .. it's on hiatus until we have a competative roster across all positions.

Incidentally... I thought a lot of us called the draft exactly as it fell in terms of positions taken when.

This is exactly right. Joe Douglas tore the roster apart, traded players away for picks, and the result was a 2-14 team with needs absolutely everywhere. Outside of the DL (where he did wind up spending a pick), there wasn’t a BAP that he could take that wouldn’t’ve also filled a need. Little doubt that AVT was his BAP, and the way he stuck and picked Moore and Carter I, the same probably applies. In fact, I could definitely argue that RB was not a need - TE, CB, OLB remain significantly larger question marks. 

The goal, though, is to put together a roster that lets you comfortably take your BAP right down the line. That’s how you build the deepest and strongest depth chart, not by passing over superior players for lesser ones who fill a current hole. That method will result in a deteriorating roster over time. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, slats said:
40 minutes ago, slats said:

“The goal, though, is to put together a roster that lets you”…

“The goal, though, is to put together a roster that lets you”… give your young franchise QB solid protection and opportunities to make plays, move the ball and build confidence  something Sam never had an opportunity to do  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

What is the inference to Simms thoughts on Zach? I’m not following 

Chris Simms had Zach as the #1 QB in draft and not by a small margin. For the last 4 or 5 years he has been incredibly good at ranking the QBs in the draft so unless it is just serendipity it bodes well for Zach.

Chris Simms Rankings of the 2018 QB Draft Class: 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Josh Allen, 3.) Baker Mayfield, 4.) Sam Darnold, 5.) Josh Rosen 

He's not 100% but his relative hierarchy of the QBs is very solid.

Also, Zach had a great QBASE score which does not predict success all that great but is extremely strong at predicting busts.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

“The goal, though, is to put together a roster that lets you”… give your young franchise QB solid protection and opportunities to make plays, move the ball and build confidence  something Sam never had an opportunity to do  

You spelled "ability" wrong.  

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, k-met57 said:

for smart teams its always the combination of the two.

I agree with you in the later rounds. Early rounds you need to hit on players that fit and help your team. In later rounds, the margin of error expands almost exponentially, so yeah take the highest guys on your board, project guys with elite athletic traits.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Chris Simms had Zach as the #1 QB in draft and not by a small margin. For the last 4 or 5 years he has been incredibly good at ranking the QBs in the draft so unless it is just serendipity it bodes well for Zach.

Chris Simms Rankings of the 2018 QB Draft Class: 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Josh Allen, 3.) Baker Mayfield, 4.) Sam Darnold, 5.) Josh Rosen 

Also, Zach had a great QBASE score which does not predict success all that great but is extremely strong at predicting busts.

Ah, thanks. I just didn't understand the point thanks for explaining. I do think Simms went a little safe in his rankings. Had Zack as the best QB in the draft and only put him #24 overall. He's basically implying that this will be a bad draft class -- which it will be if at least one of the QBs doesn't finish near top-10. 

22 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sam is the poster child for unearned opportunity. He has shown nothing yet was handed another starting role and a $20M payday. I cannot think of another QB who was close to as bad as him that didn't have to sit a bit before getting another chance. Consider (from 2017):

Darnold 78.6. That's right folks, since 2013, the Jets are #1 and #2 in allowing terrible QBs to suck for so many games. Sanchez was exactly even with Geno at 71.7. The problem is not that the Jets fail to give bad QBs opportunity, it's that we give them too much. If Darnold went to any other team, he would've been benched, dumped, and forgotten long ago ala Deshonne Kizer. Only the laughingstock Jets allow QBs this rancid start this many games. We have got to learn to give up faster on obvious bust QBs.

There is no logical reason in this world for Sam to be handed another starting role and $20M when Tannehill (87.0 in Miami), Trubisky (87.2), and Minshew (93.1) had to endure time on the bench before getting another chance.  Darnold is lucky to have been drafted and "ruined" by the Jets. He will never play more games for another team as he did here. No other team will tolerate it. Trading for him was bad enough but picking up his fully-guaranteed 5th year option is an unbelievable unforced error and will cost jobs in Charlotte.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sam is the poster child for unearned opportunity. He has shown nothing yet was handed another starting role and a $20M payday. I cannot think of another QB who was close to as bad as him that didn't have to sit a bit before getting another chance. In fact, there are plenty better than him who had to do this: Tannehill, Trubisky, Minshew to name just three recent examples. Sometimes life just ain't fair.

It’s the JD “Spit & Shine” magic that pulled the wool over Carolina’s eyes. Talk Sam up, say we as an organization didn’t surround him with the talent to win and trade him out of town.

JD somehow has received a haul for a megalomaniacal/narcissist Safety and a JAG QB.

what are you doing up so early. Do you live on the other side of the pond?
My wife snores ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s the JD “Spit & Shine” magic that pulled the wool over Carolina’s eyes. Talk Sam up, say we as an organization didn’t surround him with the talent to win and trade him out of town.

JD somehow has received a haul for a megalomaniacal/narcissist Safety and a JAG QB.

what are you doing up so early. Do you live on the other side of the pond?
My wife snores ?

JD is an absolute trade master. I read that CAR was the only team in serious discussions to trade for Sam. If that's true, the trade is even more impressive. Some GMs have "it," some don't. JD has it.

Yep, live in Europe. Or as Geno Smith would call it, "the other side of the flat disc called Earth."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD is an absolute trade master. I read that CAR was the only team in serious discussions to trade for Sam. If that's true, the trade is even more impressive. Some GMs have "it," some don't. JD has it.

Yep, live in Europe. Or as Geno Smith would call it, "the other side of the flat disc called Earth."

JD is a networking master. Mac never really ever picked up the phone to touch base with other GM’s. JD has Philly, Balt, Chicago connections and probably a whole lot more. Saleh has SF, Atlanta, Seattle, Jaguar connections. He’s proactive 

Am hoping I can get to London for the Jets game. Ticket prices are crazy $600 plus, but I hope they come down closer to game time.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

hope he nailed last year as well so I dont have to worry about who he picks for a long time.  If he keeps up this trend he should leave the show and just hire himself out to a QB needy team each year.  he has been that accurate.

• Upvote 2