How will Saleh's defensive approach change with the loss of Lawson/Curry?

jgb

My instinct is to believe he's going to have to go more exotic and create pressure with disguised blitzes.

But people on here much more knowledgeable than I say that isn't really his scheme.

Assuming we don't land an 8+ sack guy from somewhere -- how will he adjust?

• Upvote 1

Suppose it remains to be seen who gets play time but just probably more opportunities to have multiple smaller, athletic guys on the edge. It's going to boil down to interior pressure largely - maybe Franklin-Myers kicks in more in sub packages while they try to keep Williams and Rankins fresh instead of playing on the edge a lot.

Think defensively this year is going to be a mixed bag with lots of young guys learning the scheme. If Nasirildeen and Sherwood can settle in for two of the linebacker slots long term that would be huge. See which of the young DB's can play - particularly the outside guys. Anything from edge players would be gravy. And continue to build from there as they head into next offseason

• Upvote 2

I was thinking about this yesterday.

Unless we bring in another 4-3 DE, I would think we would see more 3 man fronts given our remaining d-line personnel.

The issue with this, however, is the depth of our LB corps right now.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 2

The question should be how awesome is our Defense under Saleh going to look with 4x Pro Bowler and 4x All-Pro leading the way @ MLB (linebacking behind Quinnen Williams @ 4-3 DT) in C.J. Mosley? 

Because when C.J. Mosley feasted for 3 Quarters strong against Buffalo and Josh Allen? I don't remember us having an edge rusher.

• WTF? 1

I don't think Saleh makes any changes to the defensive scheme because that would entail changing how the other 10 players play and what he has been teaching them all summer. He is gonna stick to what he's been preaching all summer and hopefully someone steps up in Lawsons spot and is halfway effective.