Giants don’t have cap space for full roster Sunday

Larz

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes obviously we need to have Zach develop. I think after the unholy trinity of Sanchez/Geno/Darnold people are just PTSD cripples at the QB position.

I was a HUGE Darnold fan for a long time. I dismissed/excused every weakness he had because my glass half full plus a few ounces wanted to will it that way. But Darnold was a bust.

In the offseason I campaigned hard for Wilson starting in late November of last year. I stated Zach was the best college QB I had ever seen and stand by that.

BUT I have been very objective with Zach since he has been a Jet and because of my green tinted blindness because of Sam.

To my objective clinical eye, the path that Darnold and Sam are on are completely different. 

Sam had a better first year, but week 16 Sam was largely the same guy as Week 1 Sam and sadly Year 1 Sam is actually better than year 4 Sam.

Wilson started brutally (after a brilliant TC and preseason campaign people forget) and while I won't say "he was not ready" it is certainly true that the speed and complexity of the NFL game was a bigger jump than maybe anticipated. He was bad in all areas, inconsistent drops, bad footwork, inaccurate, terrible at short passes, bad decisions, jumpy in the pocket and quite honestly looked literally overwhelmed.

But unlike Sam, Zach has improved a little each game, especially after the injury. Now he started from such a bad spot that even with improvement he was having poor games, and had he levelled off he would have been a prime candidate for the next bus to bustville.

But he didn't. His footwork improved dramatically, his accuracy improved, his reads improved, his dropbacks improved, his touch improved his decisions improved.

Still it was sometimes hard to see because of injuries and the fact that Zach has played the toughest set of pass defenses of any QB in the NFL.

Last week he had a good to very good game. But he was doing it against one of the best defenses in the NFL with significant absences at OL and WR and of course no TEs because we don't have anyone other than a super raw Yeboah.

But hidden in that good game was a couple amazing things. Almost all of his terrible weaknesses have improved to the point that some are excellent (like his footwork) He looks calm, and there is no question he elevated the entire offense.

If you look at the trajectory of Zach, there is every reason to think that there is a strong possibility (not certainty) of him being the Elite Top 5 franchise guy we envisioned when we drafted him.

It's funny that you were a long-time Darnold supporter.  I was as well (and I still haven't totally given up on him, tbh).  Like you, though, after Sam didn't work out here I was lot more critical of Zach.  I'd say I was unfair toward the guy but he was truly awful at points this season.  I wasn't saying that we should give up on him.  I just felt like he'd have to show major improvement next year (and, if he didn't, I'd consider moving on).

Luckily, last week he played very well against Tampa, showing the kind of potential you'd want to see from a #2OA pick.  But that doesn't mean I'm completely sold on the guy yet.  He still has a lot left to prove.  

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not saying you can't mock them.  I'm saying it's embarrassing to mock them when, for all their problems, they have the same number of wins that we do.  Plus the point you made that "unlike the Gints, the Jets had to play in a division with the most winning franchise in the last 2 decades" doesn't hold water either.  The Giants beat them twice on the biggest stage (including preventing a perfect season).

You're not making the point you think you are. The Giants spent considerably more for the players on the field than the Jets in a fairly similar division and landed the same record. The Jets lost considerably more cap space this season to IR and dead money. The Giants walk into 2022 with $45MM less in cap space than the Jets. The Giants should have a much better record for what they spent and the position they put themselves in next season. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

You're not making the point you think you are. The Giants spent considerably more for the players on the field than the Jets in a fairly similar division and landed the same record. The Jets lost considerably more cap space this season to IR and dead money. The Giants walk into 2022 with $45MM less in cap space than the Jets. The Giants should have a much better record for what they spent and the position they put themselves in next season. 

Ultimately both teams stunk this year.  And great teams aren't built in free agency.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ultimately both teams stunk this year.  And great teams aren't built in free agency.

Agreed, but when you spend in FA it is normally to mount a big season and you only have a few holes to fill; the Jets didn't spend big, knowing it was a rebuilding year - Jets met expectations and have a ton of cap for next year; the Giants fell short of expectations and do not - they also need a certain amount of cap to sign draft picks (they have 2 firsts as well).

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Agreed, but when you spend in FA it is normally to mount a big season and you only have a few holes to fill; the Jets didn't spend big, knowing it was a rebuilding year - Jets met expectations and have a ton of cap for next year; the Giants fell short of expectations and do not - they also need a certain amount of cap to sign draft picks (they have 2 firsts as well).

Pretty sure the cap is going up next year so the Giants will probably have some room to sign their picks.  And I assume they'll have guys coming off the cap as well.

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure the cap is going up next year so the Giants will probably have some room to sign their picks.  And I assume they'll have guys coming off the cap as well.

So, they will have a small amount of cap, so what? You are missing the point, the team spent big on expectations that didn't happen. Had it happen, they would have been screwed if they ran out of cap by the end of the year. Spend big and loose = funny; spend so much you can't have 53 player = funny. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

So, they will have a small amount of cap, so what? You are missing the point, the team spent big on expectations that didn't happen. Had it happen, they would have been screwed if they ran out of cap by the end of the year. Spend big and loose = funny; spend so much you can't have 53 player = funny. 

In the end, you are what your record says you are.  How much are we really counting on cap space helping us out next year?  

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In the end, you are what your record says you are.  How much are we really counting on cap space helping us out next year?  

This was a funny thread about the hapless Giants, not so sure how you don't get that and you appear to be all worked up. Does every thread have to be about the Jets sucking?

I expect 15 million to go to rookies unless we trade around; I would expect a chuck will be resigning vets. I would hope for a WR, Safety, LB, and. maybe an Edge. But again, this was about the Giants spending above the cap. Imagine if the Jets had done that - wow how the fans would be calling us a laughing stock. Unless you are a Giants fan, I can see how you don't find it funny.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

This was a funny thread about the hapless Giants, not so sure how you don't get that and you appear to be all worked up. Does every thread have to be about the Jets sucking?

I expect 15 million to go to rookies unless we trade around; I would expect a chuck will be resigning vets. I would hope for a WR, Safety, LB, and. maybe an Edge. But again, this was about the Giants spending above the cap. Imagine if the Jets had done that - wow how the fans would be calling us a laughing stock. Unless you are a Giants fan, I can see how you don't find it funny.

I'm saying it's embarrassing that we're calling out the "hapless Giants" over something like this.

Earlier they showed the Giants and Jets were tied for the worst record in the NFL over the past 5 years at 22-58 each.   The Giants lost today so they're now worse at 22-59 though we'll likely catch them in a couple of hours.  If we do manage to win today, though, I'm sure some people on here will brag that we're 23-28 while they're only 22-59.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm saying it's embarrassing that we're calling out the "hapless Giants" over something like this.

Earlier they showed the Giants and Jets were tied for the worst record in the NFL over the past 5 years at 22-58 each.   The Giants lost today so they're now worse at 22-59 though we'll likely catch them in a couple of hours.  If we do manage to win today, though, I'm sure some people on here will brag that we're 23-28 while they're only 22-59.  

Sorry it is still funny - this never happens; but if every time a team does something stupid, we can make fun of them because we suck - well that would truly suck for us. After all of the these years of sucking, Jet fans have someone else to laugh at. If it was us, not only would this board explode, but the media and the Giants would be crapping on us. I don't care about 5 years ago and another GM/Coach - I care about now. you can have the last word - this is no longer fun...