Baker out in Cleveland because ...

Dunnie

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Put mayfield on the jets his 1st year and he would have been worse than darnold.

Mark Sanchez was also an excellent qb because he went to the an already built jets team with a great D, running game and great oline.

And if Geno hadn't gotten punched, he would have been better than Fitz was that year too, right? :-k

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And if Geno hadn't gotten punched, he would have been better than Fitz was that year too, right? :-k

A few of you gents seemed to miss the meaning of my earlier post.   Sanchez stunk and was a bad QB, he looked passable on a totally built team.  Just like Baker did, and like Baker the moment he had to take the reigns and do more he fell on his ass.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A few of you gents seemed to miss the meaning of my earlier post.   Sanchez stunk and was a bad QB, he looked passable on a totally built team.  Just like Baker did, and like Baker the moment he had to take the reigns and do more he fell on his ass.

I don't agree with your evaluation of Baker Mayfield.  

But ultimately, we'll see when he lands elsewhere if he is up to this challenge.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree with your evaluation of Baker Mayfield.  

But ultimately, we'll see when he lands elsewhere if he is up to this challenge.

We will agree to disagree, I'd have loved to see Mayfield on the roster Darnold had to contend with  his first year or so.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You’re usually a really good poster, but you lose all credibility in this Baker convo when you stressed him having thrown more ints than Darnold in his career,  as if that made the two even remotely comparable.
Mayfield dwarfs him in career QBR, passing yards, completions, TDs, wins, and just about any metrics you can name. The int thing is a lame a** thing to throw out on it’s own and you’re smart enough to know it.
Baker was terrific in his rookie year, average in his second, terrific again in his third and although he struggled last year it was due to him playing hurt when he shouldn’t have been allowed to. You’re smart enough to know that.

As for how Baker would’ve done on the Jets? Any reasonable person would acknowledge that Baker is a much better QB than Darnold so he’d have performed much better. The Jets sucking with Darnold wasn’t mainly because of who was around Darnold, it was because Darnold was sucking. You’re smart enough to know that.

You hate Mayfield? Fine…  but to say he isn’t at the very least an above average QB when healthy is just nonsensical. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He didn't look too good last season but he was banged up pretty much all year as well. Not saying he's great (or even good) but you do have to take that into account. 

On 3/20/2022 at 12:25 AM, Green Ghost said:

You’re usually a really good poster, but you lose all credibility in this Baker convo when you stressed him having thrown more ints than Darnold in his career,  as if that made the two even remotely comparable.
Mayfield dwarfs him in career QBR, passing yards, completions, TDs, wins, and just about any metrics you can name. The int thing is a lame a** thing to throw out on it’s own and you’re smart enough to know it.
Baker was terrific in his rookie year, average in his second, terrific again in his third and although he struggled last year it was due to him playing hurt when he shouldn’t have been allowed to. You’re smart enough to know that.

As for how Baker would’ve done on the Jets? Any reasonable person would acknowledge that Baker is a much better QB than Darnold so he’d have performed much better. The Jets sucking with Darnold wasn’t mainly because of who was around Darnold, it was because Darnold was sucking. You’re smart enough to know that.

You hate Mayfield? Fine…  but to say he isn’t at the very least an above average QB when healthy is just nonsensical. 

On 3/19/2022 at 11:17 PM, Beerfish said:

Not a fan of Mayfield.   He was miles better than Sanchez ever was.  He's an average NFL QB when he's healthy.   Sanchez was never an average NFL QB.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, mrcoops said:

I wonder how different things would have been had Baker ended up here in 2018.

He is the guy we traded up to 3 to get - everyone thought that the Browns were taking Darnold.

Would Mayfield have been good here? Would the Jets be a better team? Would Bowles and Macc still be in place? We'll never know.

Mayfield would have been an even bigger train wreck than Sam Darnold here.