Baker out in Cleveland because ...

Dunnie

I wonder how different things would have been had Baker ended up here in 2018.

He is the guy we traded up to 3 to get - everyone thought that the Browns were taking Darnold.

Would Mayfield have been good here? Would the Jets be a better team? Would Bowles and Macc still be in place? We'll never know.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He is the guy we traded up to 3 to get - everyone thought that the Browns were taking Darnold.

Would Mayfield have been good here? Would the Jets be a better team? Would Bowles and Macc still be in place? We'll never know.

We'll never know. All we can do is theorize. 

Without getting into specifics, I do think we'd have been meaningfully better at QB under Baker Mayfield than we were under Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson.  In point of fact, had we been in position to draft Mayfield, I do not believe Zach Wilson is a NY Jet today (for two reasons, we'd have been better so it wouldn't have been the same need, and we wouldn't have had the #2 pick that draft due to a better record).

But as you say, there is no way to know.  We can only opine.  We drafted Sam, and he busted badly, that's the fact.  We not have Wilson, and he was the lowest rated QB in the NFL his rookie year, that's the fact. 

We'll just have to wait and hope and see if he improves, or, like Sam, he busts too.

• Upvote 2

Honestly I think Baker would have epically imploded if he was here. A terrible team + a very weak roster paired with a barely avg QB when he has talent around him… who by the way is also known to get testy with people and reporters. It would’ve been more fun to watch than what we’re going through but it definitely would not have resulted in much more than we’ve already accomplishedz

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray where both fools gold.   It's really hard to have chunk plays in the passing game if your QB needs to create insane angles to deliver the ball.  

Yes there are exceptions like Wilson who is built like a truck from the waist down but even Wilson has taken a pounding to deliver those chunk plays over the years.  Having some height gives you a lot more angles from a lot of different positions in the pocket to deliver the ball down the field.   You don't have to be insanely pinpoint accurate on every throw.  

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He has more interceptions then Sam Darnold.  He turns it over, on a team that had a good oline, rbs, and receiving weapons and a good defense.

As I've said before he is Mark Sanchez, a guy that went to a mostly built team and had a bit of success but when they have to relay on him more he flounders.  

Yeah, the idea that Baker changed the culture for the Browns is ridiculous. That team was rife with talent. He's utterly mediocre - the Browns would be wise not to lock themselves into a huge contract with him. They'd have been a better team last year had they simply played Case Keenum who was sitting on the bench

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, static14 said:

Mayfield straight up saying he wants to be traded now. I suppose this is what happens when you tell your QB you're exploring other options and then those options blow up in your face. 

That's about as stupid as it gets. WTF were they thinking?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Yeah, the idea that Baker changed the culture for the Browns is ridiculous. That team was rife with talent. He's utterly mediocre - the Browns would be wise not to lock themselves into a huge contract with him. They'd have been a better team last year had they simply played Case Keenum who was sitting on the bench

The browns have the league’s best OL, pass rusher and also had OBJ and Landry 

Why is baker still considered good again?

12 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Mayfield would have been as big of a bust as darnold

16 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I think Baker stinks and would've stunk here.

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

As usual, he's a QB getting too much credit or too much blame. He's had three different OC's, and played hurt when he probably shouldn't have, as that often translates into poor performance.

I will judge him when he goes somewhere and gets a half decent opportunity. He'll probably end up better than Darnold and Rosen, and as a capable 2nd stringer, low end starter. He should call Josh McCown for longevity tips.

His mechanics regressed a lot over the last two seasons, and I think that is a major factor.  You can't go backwards in the NFL, especially at the qb position.  Injuries aside, its just the kiss of death.

I also do think he's a starting NFL qb, but on the lower end of the spectrum.  He's better than the Goffs/Tuas and Daniel Jones of the world, but he's not quite in the top 20. 

I still think he has enough promise that he should start somewhere this year and be given a long term contract.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

He's not really a bust, he just hasn't been a pro bowler either.  Almost a 2-1 TD to INT ratio, completes 60% of his passes, he's only 26. 

Not what they were hoping for drafting him #1 overall.

Baker.PNG

First overall pick who isnt getting a 2nd contract from the team who drafted him is pretty much the definition of a bust.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Mayfield threw for 27 TDs (14 INTs) as a rookie in 13 starts, completing 64% of his passes. Zach Wilson looked like if you started one of those promotional T-shirt cannons at QB. 

Put mayfield on the jets his 1st year and he would have been worse than darnold.

Mark Sanchez was also an excellent qb because he went to the an already built jets team with a great D, running game and great oline.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mayfield threw for 27 TDs (14 INTs) as a rookie in 13 starts, completing 64% of his passes. Zach Wilson looked like if you started one of those promotional T-shirt cannons at QB. 

And that rookie QB, playing with a shltty roster compared to Bakers loaded roster plays behind and somehow Baker has more INTS than Wilson.   Whos the one looking like the girl spraying tee shirts into the stands?

No one trades Zach for Mayfield now.  Your boy is unwanted and may wind up as someones backup this season.  

• Upvote 1

And that rookie QB, with a shltty roster, vs the loaded team Baker plays behind has great INTs thanks Baker.   So what
No one trades Zach for Mayfield now.  Your boy is unwanted
I just never bought into Mayfied's conviction with regard to becoming the best QB he could be ... seemed like the spotlight was always more important.

He'll get another shot ... Seattle, Miami, Phili, Chicago, Pittsburg, Carolina

But its 50/50 if he become Manziel, Trubisky, Darnold or elevates his game ... I still think he can be servicable .. its up to him.

• Upvote 2

Browns gave up a king's ransom for Watson:  Three 1sts, a 3rd and a 4th, get back a 5th.

They are following the Rams model.  High risk, high reward.  They are one serious injury (or sexual assault charge) away from not winning for the rest of the decade.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I just never bought into Mayfied's conviction with regard to becoming the best QB he could be ... seemed like the spotlight was always more important.

He'll get another shot ... Seattle, Miami, Phili, Chicago, Pittsburg, Carolina

But its 50/50 if he become Manziel, Trubisky, Darnold or elevates his game ... I still think he can be servicable .. its up to him.

Not sure who'll trade for him.   Miami has Tua and Bridgewater, how many backups can they sign, Teddy wasnt all that cheap.  Chicago as a backup to Fields?  Seems like theyre committed.  Pittsburg is going with Trubiski.  Is Baker any better than Darnold?  Philly isnt going to another QB now, think theyre set.  Maybe Seattle?  

I agree hes set himself as one of those start college QBs who turn into lifetime backup/starters like Trubiski.  

One of the talking heads ex personnel guys even attacked his leadership and his relationships with players on the Browns.  Then he threw him under the bus saying he knew he was a phony when faced with the threat of arrest he ran from the police.  Leaving his girlfriend behind to deal with them

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not sure who'll trade for him.   Miami has Tua and Bridgewater, how many backups can they sign, Teddy wasnt all that cheap.  Chicago as a backup to Fields?  Seems like theyre committed.  Pittsburg is going with Trubiski.  Is Baker any better than Darnold?  Philly isnt going to another QB now, think theyre set.  Maybe Seattle?  

I agree hes set himself as one of those start college QBs who turn into lifetime backup/starters like Trubiski.  

One of the talking heads ex personnel guys even attacked his leadership and his relationships with players on the Browns.  Then he threw him under the bus saying he knew he was a phony when faced with the threat of arrest he ran from the police.  Leaving his girlfriend behind to deal with them

If you’re going to troll, you at least need to put a little effort into making it seem credible. 
Here’s how you do it…

“If Mayfield is the Jets starter next year, we’re a 10 win team.” That’s credible trolling. It riles people up, even though they know it’s true.

oh, btw it’s Pittsburgh. ?

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

If you’re going to troll, you at least need to put a little effort into making it seem credible. 
Here’s how you do it…

“If Mayfield is the Jets starter next year, we’re a 10 win team.” That’s credible trolling. It riles people up, even though they know it’s true.

oh, btw it’s Pittsburgh. ?

You are my idol when it comes to trolling! ?

• Sympathy 1