Jets targeting D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Mario Williams at 4

Jets | Team can look at other positions in the first-round of the NFL Draft

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:31:13 -0800

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the acquisition of QB Patrick Ramsey by the New York Jets Friday, March 17, means it's almost certain the Jets will not use their first-round pick (fourth overall) on a quarterback in the April NFL Draft. Now, they'll likely target Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson or North Carolina State DE Mario Williams.

If trading for Patrick Ramsey will stop the Jets from drafting Leinart/Cutler, then they arent as smart as I thought they were.

Hutchinson is wrong. Jets will draft Cutler or Leinart, and Pennington will be shown the door.

I dont think Mangini will draft a Qb Barton. He will either trade out of that pick or select DBrick or Mario. Mangini knows that it isnt very often a top 5 drafted qb wins you a super bowl. Look at the past several years and tell me the percentages, and you will know what i'm talking about.

I agree with Barton..... Ramsey is Bollinger's replacement, nothing more.

What worries me is that the Tiatans are falling in love with Cutler. Floyd Reese, the GM, Norm Chow and Jeff Fisher all love Cutler. He's going to the Titans at 3. Look for a draft day trade of Volek, once they draft Cutler.

Then... N.O. could screw us out of Leinart. They could draft him, since the deal they signed with Brees makes it easy to cut him next year, or they could trade that pick to a team that wants Leinart. I don't like the way this is shaping up... at all.

What worries me is that the Tiatans are falling in love with Cutler. Floyd Reese, the GM, Norm Chow and Jeff Fisher all love Cutler. He's going to the Titans at 3. Look for a draft day trade of Volek, once they draft Cutler.

Then... N.O. could screw us out of Leinart. They could draft him, since the deal they signed with Brees makes it easy to cut him next year, or they could trade that pick to a team that wants Leinart. I don't like the way this is shaping up... at all.

Yes, but do you think that it could also be a smokescreen? Teams usually don't just outright say "We LOVE this guy", unless they hold the first pick, in which case they are allowed to say anything they want. I don't know, but the whole thing seems fishy to me.

If that did happen then Mario Williams falls right in our lap.

Williams is Mangini's type of player.. Umm perhaps but i strongly believe that Hawks is Mangini's truly LB...

I love to make it interesting but i have no money... Damn.

I like our LB's the way they are and we're about to lose a pro bowl DE. Williams is the direction it makes the most sense to go in if you're taking a defensive player.

I dont think Mangini will draft a Qb Barton. He will either trade out of that pick or select DBrick or Mario. Mangini knows that it isnt very often a top 5 drafted qb wins you a super bowl. Look at the past several years and tell me the percentages, and you will know what i'm talking about.

Its possible, and I wont cry if we draft Brick or Mario. :)

Past failures of top 5 QBs means nothing to me.

Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer were top 5 picks, and they are top 5 QBs in the NFL. Its hit or miss, but if you hit the jackpot, you will always have a good team if you have a franchise QB. You will always be in the playoff hunt. That and Leinart the best QB prospect since Carson Palmer.

1984 - No QB taken in top 37!

1985 - No QB taken in top 36!

1986 - Jim Everett QB w/2nd overall pick

1987 - Testaverde #1 overall

1988 - No QB taken in the 1st 2 rds!

1989 - Troy Aikman #1 overall (won SB with team that drafted him)

1990 - Jeff George #1 overall

1991 - No QB taken in top 15

1992 - No QB taken in top 5

1993 - Drew Bledsoe #1 overall (went to SB with his team) Rick Mirer #2

1994 - Heath Shuler #4 overall

1995 - Steve McNair #3 overall(went to SB with his team) Kerry Collins #5

1996 - No QB taken in top 40

1997 - No QB taken in top 25

1998 - Peyton Manning #1. Leaf #2

1999 - Couch #1. McNabb (went to a SB). Smith #3

2000 - No QB in top 15

2001 - Vick #1 ( if you consider him an actual QB)

2002 - Carr #1. Harrington #2. You never know, Carr could do it.

2003 - Carson Palmer (a stud) #1 overall

2004 - Eli and Rivers in top 5.

2005 - Alex Smith

7 of the last 21 drafts no QB was taken in top 5+

Aikman, McNair, McNabb and Bledsoe all played in superbowls.

Peyton and Palmer have been great QBs.

The rest are all busts or havent played long enough to consider.

Well, I relly wanted a franchise QB in this draft, but since it doesn't look good anymore, Williams would be a great pick too. If the Titans take Cutler, Volek could be on the market too, but I'd still rather get Croyle later on.

A friend of mine from Tenessee told me how Norm Chow was "gushing" over Cutler on the local media down there. I don't see why the Titans need to be real secretive in this draft.....

The Jets have the best position in the draft other than the Saints at this point...They are guarenteed 1 of the QB's, Mario or D'Brick....and AJ Hawk...And if 1 of those players falls unexpectedly...a team would be willing to move up to get him and that means the Jets will stockpile picks...If there is no trade out of #1 the Texans are taking Bush...New Orleans are the wildcard at this point as they will either trade or take D'Brick...Tennesse will more than likely draft a QB...Leaving the Jets with the most options..

The Jets have the best position in the draft other than the Saints at this point...They are guarenteed 1 of the QB's, Mario or D'Brick....and AJ Hawk...And if 1 of those players falls unexpectedly...a team would be willing to move up to get him and that means the Jets will stockpile picks...If there is no trade out of #1 the Texans are taking Bush...New Orleans are the wildcard at this point as they will either trade or take D'Brick...Tennesse will more than likely draft a QB...Leaving the Jets with the most options..

I think the Texans, Saints and Titans all want to trade down. Which is why we need to trade down ASAP before all the teams that want to trade up are gone.

Williams is the PERFECT 3-4 end. Thats nothing to be upset about.

He is NOT the perfect 3-4 end. 3-4 ends are run stuffers that rarely get to the QB. Mario Williams is a pass rusher that takes some running plays off.

Mario Williams = John Abraham - the bottle.

He is NOT the perfect 3-4 end. 3-4 ends are run stuffers that rarely get to the QB. Mario Williams is a pass rusher that takes some running plays off.

Mario Williams = John Abraham - the bottle.

The only possible similarity between Williams and Abraham is that they can both rush the passer. Williams is 6'7, 295, takes on blockers and is stout against the run. Abraham is 6'4, 260, always tries to run around blockers, and is awful against the run. Once you look past their pass-rushing ability, the two couldn't be anymore different. Williams is not a typical 3-4 end, but he can be extremely effective there. I also don't expect to be strictly 3-4, as Mangini will employ multiple defensive fronts. With a player like Williams, he will make sure he is used to his full potential.

The only possible similarity between Williams and Abraham is that they can both rush the passer. Williams is 6'7, 295, takes on blockers and is stout against the run. Abraham is 6'4, 260, always tries to run around blockers, and is awful against the run. Once you look past their pass-rushing ability, the two couldn't be anymore different. Williams is not a typical 3-4 end, but he can be extremely effective there. I also don't expect to be strictly 3-4, as Mangini will employ multiple defensive fronts. With a player like Williams, he will make sure he is used to his full potential.

According to NFLDraftCountdown.com, Williams:

- Can be too inconsistent and needs to be properly motivated

- Has questionable motor and doesn't always give it his all on every play

- Is not very instinctive

- Often relied heavily on his pure talent to get by in college

Sounds a lot like Abe to me.

If the jets stay at 4 and we dont get Shaub we will be looking at either Cutler or Ferguson. If we get shaub we'll target Ferguson.

I dont think Williams will be there at #4.

You dont think Williams will be there at 4? Who do you think will take him? If someone does take him, then there will be some SERIOUS offers for our #4 spot since one of those so called "elite" players will be there for the taking.

There's very little doubt in my mind that Cutler will be there at 4 for us. The question is if we want him or not.

He's the best QB in the draft i would jump right on him if he's there now that a schaub trade dosn't look like it's gonna happen and we don't have a capeable QB other then chad.

According to NFLDraftCountdown.com, Williams:

- Can be too inconsistent and needs to be properly motivated

- Has questionable motor and doesn't always give it his all on every play

- Is not very instinctive

- Often relied heavily on his pure talent to get by in college

Sounds a lot like Abe to me.

John Elway and Jeff George both have strong arms. Are they similar?

Like I said, in the end, Abraham and Williams are different types. Williams is strong against the run, and can take on blockers when asked, in addition to his elite pass-rushing ability. Abraham can not play the run nor effectively take on blockers. Williams shows great recognition between run and pass. Abraham thinks pass every time, and tries to run around the blocker.

Williams and Abraham are both top notch pass-rushers. NFL Draft Countdown does a great job, but one thing I don't understand is the "not very instinctive" comment. Williams is a VERY instinctive player with a terrific reaction time. The only advantage that Abraham has is that Williams has been known to not give 100% all the time. While it's not really a big problem with him, it has happened. Abraham, when healthy, always gives everything he has. Yet, with that said, Williams' effort will never come into question once he is in the NFL, IMO.

Williams is a very complete DE. It's a shame that you really only hear about his athletic ability, and pass-rushing talent. He is such a complete player. Abraham is one-dimensional. A comparison between the two just isn't fair.

I would like a QB in the 1st round, but with the many problem jets have offensively I would rather go with D'Brick. Y? B/C we need to rebuild the O-line. W/O an good O-line to protect our QB we ain't going very far. Plus w/o an O-line the running lanes will disappear with our chances of making any progess this season.

With Leinart available at 3, chances are high that we will be looking at:

D'Brick

Mario

Cutler

In that case, I'd be happy with any one of those 3.

I would like a QB in the 1st round, but with the many problem jets have offensively I would rather go with D'Brick. Y? B/C we need to rebuild the O-line. W/O an good O-line to protect our QB we ain't going very far. Plus w/o an O-line the running lanes will disappear with our chances of making any progess this season.

There will be alot of good olinemen available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This is a VERY deep draft on the o line.

There will be alot of good olinemen available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This is a VERY deep draft on the o line.

Agreed. I can understand why so many Jets fans want Ferguson. They saw the O-line play last year and it was horrific. The first reaction is to go after whoever is the most highly touted Lineman in the draft. However, this draft is very deep at Ferguson's position of OT and all Offensive Line positions for that matter.

We should be able to get at least 2-3 good Offensive Linemen in Rounds 2-5.

If we stay at 4 I will not be surprised at all for us to take Williams to replace Abe- mangini wants to build his defense with his type of players

my only concern is that mario isnt exaclty known for bein a rocket scientist down here,,

what was his wonerlic?

is richard seymour a dunce or was Belly able to 'lern a dunce'?

Archived