Polar Opposites in Organization philosophy

Ron Rico

4 hours ago, Coquito said:

Ran into a friend of mine who's a Steelers fan and talked a little football. Key points:

"Tanking the season". He said that this is a losers mentality. In fact, the Steelers priority is have a winning season. Tomlinson has never had a losing season as the Steelers HC. Seriously, that is where the organization, top to bottom, is at. They are not talking about firing the coach, the GM, replacing the QB, or intentionally losing games for a draft pick. Then we talked about Pickett, and he told me Pickett has had two concussions this year. I did not know that. I know about Tua, but I didn't know about Pickett.

This has to stop. All of these young QB's already compromised by concussions. The NFL cannot continue like this. Get rid of 4 and 5 WR sets. Spread offenses work with unique (rare) QB's. It's getting other QB's killed coming out of college. Bring back the Fullback position. Return to two back formations. Keep a bodyguard back there to pick up the blitz. 

Anyway it was just amazing how different two 7-8 teams thinks, and this is a team the Jets actually beat. I was actually pretty embarrassed to think about it.

They have ownership who has made wise choices, all the difference in the world. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JonMcgraw38 said:

Let me also say that I am in no way advocating keeping bad coaches in place. 

When you hire boobs like Saleh you see promising players like Becton and Mims have their careers derailed because they can’t adapt their scheme at all to highlight players strengths. 

It's not Saleh's fault that Becton has had season ending injuries 2 seasons in a row.  

Mims stinks.  That's also not Saleh's fault.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coquito said:

Ran into a friend of mine who's a Steelers fan and talked a little football. Key points:

"Tanking the season". He said that this is a losers mentality. In fact, the Steelers priority is have a winning season. Tomlinson has never had a losing season as the Steelers HC. Seriously, that is where the organization, top to bottom, is at. They are not talking about firing the coach, the GM, replacing the QB, or intentionally losing games for a draft pick. Then we talked about Pickett, and he told me Pickett has had two concussions this year. I did not know that. I know about Tua, but I didn't know about Pickett.

This has to stop. All of these young QB's already compromised by concussions. The NFL cannot continue like this. Get rid of 4 and 5 WR sets. Spread offenses work with unique (rare) QB's. It's getting other QB's killed coming out of college. Bring back the Fullback position. Return to two back formations. Keep a bodyguard back there to pick up the blitz. 

Anyway it was just amazing how different two 7-8 teams thinks, and this is a team the Jets actually beat. I was actually pretty embarrassed to think about it.

7-8 for the Steelers is a bad season

7-8 for the Jets is good

The last decade of Jets football has been painful

The Steelers are one of the best franchises in the sport. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets don't tank, .....tanking is beneficial.

The National media just KILLED Doug Peterson for pulling Jalen Hurts in a meaningless final game of the season a few years back vs Washington in a lost season.  The Eagles lost the game and thus were picking 6th, if they win that game they pick 10th.

They end up trading down with Miami to 12 and getting and extra 1st rounder the next year and then were able to pick Devonta Smith AND get a 1st rounder.  This first rounder ended up becoming jordan davis.

If the jets tanked they would have had matt ryan, or nic bosa or trevor lawrence.

The jets have never tanked.

The media is all local NY Giants fans who had a hissy fit about Peterson tanking because it possibly cost them a shot at the playoffs 

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t even understand the point of this thread. Tanking and concussions? 

For me, it was, we accept mediocrity and they do NOT. 

Has been my contention for 30 years. 

Success is a choice.  Steelers would never have brought in Favre, Tebow etc. Their moves are in general more long term. Us??  NOT.  

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

Gase was a professional?

Good point. But no shot anyone on that team was willing to lose games to go down in history of being an 0-16 team. 

TL was a pipe dream. Dream should’ve been over in Oakland but cover 0. That jet team wasn’t bad enough to go Ofer even with gase pulling the strings 

3 hours ago, Coquito said:

Look, every action is preceded by a thought. Our thoughts really do create reality. Running hypothetical situations in our past and imagining a different outcome leads to madness. That's my final statement on the matter. Peace.

Some actions aren’t preceded by thoughts. Thoughts create a perception of reality. Without considering what how outcomes would change based on different decisions it’s substantially harder to learn because you leave yourself a lot less data. Peace to you as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

We had to go 0fer to get Lawerence. 

1 that’s a terrible blemish on an organization 

2 no one on any team every wants go winless 

3. No one would care today if it led to Lawrence

4. Players and coaches don't tank, Front offices do.....Example: do you really think the call to bench Minshew for Glennon in 2020 was a coaching decision? 

19 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Good point. But no shot anyone on that team was willing to lose games to go down in history of being an 0-16 team. 

TL was a pipe dream. Dream should’ve been over in Oakland but cover 0. That jet team wasn’t bad enough to go Ofer even with gase pulling the strings 

Yes, I feel so much better that the Jets won a couple of games.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

3. No one would care today if it led to Lawrence

4. Players and coaches don't tank, Front offices do.....Example: do you really think the call to bench Minshew for Glennon in 2020 was a coaching decision? 

Rachel Phelps: Any ideas?
Charlie Donovan: On how we can get worse?
Rachel Phelps: Mmmmm...
Charlie Donovan: How about a series of fines for good play? Maybe a $30,000 bonus to the guy voted Least Valuable Player.
Rachel Phelps: Maybe the problem is... we're coddling these guys too much. Yeah!

• WTF? 1