*** College Game Day 01-09 National Championship Game!***

Beerfish

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Going from 4 teams to 12 is idiocy.

8 I can see, 12?

How are they going to do that?  Top 4 teams get a bye from the first round of he playoff?

Meh. After the SEC title game, everything else is just noise anyway.

After that it’s always just a question of an upset happening to knock their top team off.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Going from 4 teams to 12 is idiocy.

8 I can see, 12?

How are they going to do that?  Top 4 teams get a bye from the first round of he playoff?

I think there are two advantages of the expanded playoffs.  Since the playoff system began, there have been a handful of schools dominating the playoff: Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU and now we have joined the party.  That has given this small handful of elite programs a huge recruiting edge.  With an expanded playoff system, it gives more teams a shot at the playoffs, which could level the playing field for recruiting. 

I also think it may help filter out the weaker teams becuase they have to play 2 to 3 games to get to the Natty.  TCU was up for the challenge agaisnt Michigan, but did not look like the same team against us.  By the time you get to the final 4, you should truly have the 4 best, battle tested teams squaring off.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Lith said:

I get it.  Undefeated.  SEC Title.  National Title.  I think last year's team was more talented.  This year's accomplished more.  But still the first one in 41 years is more special as a fan.

Congrats , just proves how dominant SEC football has been . 

• Upvote 1

This might sound like a silly question, but in my entire life I’ve never had a team I root in any sport for go back to back.
Is it anywhere near as good the second time?
I can use the Yankees as an example... from 78 until 96 was just crazy to not win... then after 96 it was such a huge win.. but 98 the Yankees had the most wins in so many years but they had to win at that point...99 and 2000 were just gravy

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

This might sound like a silly question, but in my entire life I’ve never had a team I root in any sport for go back to back.

Is it anywhere near as good the second time?

Depends. 

The 1st one is almost a relief, you're team finally wins.

2 in a row, they'll be talking about your team 20-30 years from now.   

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Depends. 

The 1st one is almost a relief, you're team finally wins.

2 in a row, they'll be talking about your team 20-30 years from now.   

Great point.  Last year was a sense of relief.  We had been close a few times, but Bama always got in our way.  Was great to finally beat them, and I expected that I would be less of a basket case this season, knowing I finally got to see my team win one (I was not yet a UGA student or grad back in 1980 for the last one).  But that was not the case, I was still as crazy nervous every time we took the field this season.  But when it looked like we were going to lose to OSU last week, I was not as devastated as I would have been had we not won it last year.

As I have said elsewhere, to me, this season, the bigger one was the SEC.  We had not won that in about 15 years.  I wanted the SEC Title more than the Natty this year.  Thrilled to have them both.

Now, maybe I won't be a basket case watching the Dawgs next season.

Nah Jake Gyllenhaal GIF - Nah Jake Gyllenhaal - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Congrats , just proves how dominant SEC football has been . 

Yup.  And it is a problem for college football.  The fight for the Championship is becoming way too regional.

I think the only Champ in the last 15 years not to come from the South is Ohio State.  Other than that its been the SEC and Clemson, with FSU sneaking in for one with Jameis several years back.