Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time?

Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest Jets draft bust

• Johnny “Lam” Jones
    • Blair Thomas
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Vernon Gholston
    • Dee Milliner
    • Russell Carter
    • Kyle Brady
    • Dave Cadigan
    • Ron Faurot
    • Jeff Lagemen
    • Zach Wilson
    • Sam Darnold

32 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Like a full roster of draft busts. Sad 

QB- Wilson, Darnold, Hackenberg, Nagle

RB- Blair Thomas, Roger Vick

WR- Lam Jones, Devin Smith, Denzel Mims, Stephen Hill

TE- Jace Amaro, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht

OL- Becton, Cadigan, Ducasse

im sure I’m missing some! And there’s more on defense.

• Ugh 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:34 AM, Alka said:

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

It’s pretty amazing the dude was ripped beyond belief and had elite measurables. Odd he couldn’t even carve out a career as a JAG on talent alone. What was it with him? Mental? Never heard of off the field problems (I think he got into a bar fight or something many years after his career was done). I read he never developed pass rushing moves and completely depended on bull rushing and overpowering lineman since that’s all he had to do in high school and in college but you need more than that in pros.

But again — to not even be a JAG — weird.

15 hours ago, HessStation said:

Like a full roster of draft busts. Sad 

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

QB- Wilson, Darnold, Hackenberg, Nagle

RB- Blair Thomas, Roger Vick

WR- Lam Jones, Devin Smith, Denzel Mims, Stephen Hill

TE- Jace Amaro, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht

OL- Becton, Cadigan, Ducasse

im sure I’m missing some! And there’s more on defense.

Additions to the above on offense:

RB - Marion Barber, Anthony Davis

FB - B.J. Askew

WR - Alex Van Dyke, Ryan Yarborough, Reggie Rembert, Ralph Clayton

Also at WR - I'd also add Chad Hansen and Ardarius Stewart.  They weren't players taken in the top 75 picks but given how loaded that draft class was in the year both were taken they were right up there with some of the worst picks in franchise history.  

TE - Johnny Mitchell, Glenn Dennison

Defense

DE - Gholston, Quinton Coples, Ron Faurot, Coleman Rudolph, Dorian Boose, Jabari Zuniga

DT - Dewayne Robertson, Rick Terry, Kenrick Ellis, Tank Marshall

LB - Darron Lee, Jachai Polite, Victor Hobson, Anthony "Boar Hunter" Schlegel, Lorenzo Mauldin, Kurt Barber

CB - Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle  ( @The Crusher )

S/DB - Calvin Pryor, Jon McGraw, Ashtyn Davis, Terry Williams, Derrick Strait, Scott Frost

Special Teams

K - Mike Nugent

P - Greg Gantt, Braden Mann

KR/PR - Jalen Saunders

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, jgb said:

It’s pretty amazing the dude was ripped beyond belief and had elite measurables. Odd he couldn’t even carve out a career as a JAG on talent alone. What was it with him? Mental? Never heard of off the field problems (I think he got into a bar fight or something many years after his career was done). I read he never developed pass rushing moves and completely depended on bull rushing and overpowering lineman since that’s all he had to do in high school and in college but you need more than that in pros.

But again — to not even be a JAG — weird.

You know, it's hard to look inside a person's soul and try to figure out what motivates them.  It's my personal opinion that he was intimidated by the fact that every NFL player on the field around him had the same physical abilities that he had, and again, just my opinion, but I think he went into his shell, like a turtle.

While he could be overpowering in college, it wasn't in his DNA to rise up to the challenge of other great athletes surrounding him.  I do believe that he lacked the mental toughness to compete with the best, and preferred to take his money and go home.  I think the coaches recognized immediately that they made a mistake drafting him.  The scouts of the Jets really failed on this guy.  They were enamored with his physical presence, but didn't take the time to understand the person who was inside the body.  

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Alka said:

You know, it's hard to look inside a person's soul and try to figure out what motivates them.  It's my personal opinion that he was intimidated by the fact that every NFL player on the field around him had the same physical abilities that he had, and again, just my opinion, but I think he went into his shell, like a turtle.

While he could be overpowering in college, it wasn't in his DNA to rise up to the challenge of other great athletes surrounding him.  I do believe that he lacked the mental toughness to compete with the best, and preferred to take his money and go home.  I think the coaches recognized immediately that they made a mistake drafting him.  The scouts of the Jets really failed on this guy.  They were enamored with his physical presence, but didn't take the time to understand the person who was inside the body.  

I think you’re onto something. It has to be a bit jarring to go from being the best by far on every field you’ve ever stepped to instantly Just Another Guy.  That lights a fire in some folks, and causes others to pack it in and go home.

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

I imagine even the scouts/front office had concerns it’s just that that draft class sucked and we desperately needed a pass rusher (as we have since 2005).

Add all that up and they took a shot and hoped for the best.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think you’re onto something. It has to be a bit jarring to go from being the best by far on every field you’ve ever stepped to instantly Just Another Guy.  That lights a fire in some folks, and causes others to pack it in and go home.

I really do think that you need to a little arrogant, a little feisty, a little bit of thinking you're better than everyone else on the field when you put on that uniform.  I love it when a player who gets drafted in the 3rd round of the draft says publicly that he's the best player in the draft, and should have gone in the 1st round!

With this guy, I do believe that he was a really nice guy, who couldn't transition to the emotional temperament that is required when you step on the field.  The greatest players of all time are the ones who fear failure more than they love success.  This guy didn't fear failure at all; and success didn't interest him.  Such a head scratcher!!

• Upvote 1

Although the list is loooooong too long actually I had to go with Johnny Mitchell. He was the tight end Pitts ( can’t remember his first name keep thinking Elijah but he played on the Packers a long time ago) on Atlanta before Pitts was born He had so much talent he could have been one of the greats. but just couldn’t be bothered learning the playbook. Such a waste