Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time?

Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest Jets draft bust

• Johnny “Lam” Jones
    • Blair Thomas
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Vernon Gholston
    • Dee Milliner
    • Russell Carter
    • Kyle Brady
    • Dave Cadigan
    • Ron Faurot
    • Jeff Lagemen
    • Zach Wilson
    • Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It's Johnny Lam Jones. It's not even close. The Jets traded 2 first round picks to move up to the 2nd overall and selected Jones who wasn't even a football player, he was an Olympic sprinter. They also paid him the first million dollar  contract ever. 

You know I totally forgot we traded 2 first round picks to go get this guy. 

It’s scary how bad our draft history is 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

And who should the Jets have picked instead of Gholston. The next halfway decent player drafted was Mayo..  and NOBODY would have picked him at #6. Not one team.

If that's the thought, then I would hope that the Jets would try to trade the pick for a lower pick and pick up maybe a 2nd rounder as well.  I'm sure you would have gotten someone to bite.  

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Given that: He was widely considered the top QB in that draft, and we traded 3 2nd round picks to get him at 3 overall, and we passed on Lamar Jackson and josh Allen to take him, and we were in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes three years later, I’d say yes. 

also, not sure how the last 4 games of his rookie year would help him not being a bust. 

We passed on Lamar?!  Lamar was taken #32 overall. 

And Baker was taken ahead of Sam so it's not like Josh Allen was some kind of obvious choice.  He had plenty of question marks at that time.  That's pure hindsight.

As far as the final 4 games of Sam's rookie year, he showed that he could actually become something.  The Jets did everything they could to screw him up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Does anyone on this board have any doubt that Danny Dimes would have busted here? He showed very little early on.   

The Giants developed him, put a scheme on understanding that QB's are rare.  Daniel Jones would be Zach Wilson had he played here.

The Jets simply don't understand football.

Showed nothing early on? where does this narrative come from? 

Daniel Jones had 24 TD passes and 12 INTS in his rookie year - wouldn’t that be like top 5 in our entire history? Lol 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We passed on Lamar?!  Lamar was taken #32 overall. 

And Baker was taken ahead of Sam so it's not like Josh Allen was some kind of obvious choice.  He had plenty of question marks at that time.  That's pure hindsight.

As far as the final 4 games of Sam's rookie year, he showed that he could actually become something.  The Jets did everything they could to screw him up.

Yes, by definition, we passed on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, two franchise QB. Your argument should be “so did a lot of other teams” instead of denying reality. 

Eh, I’m not going down the Sam rabbit hole again. I think the “ruining” narrative is overblown. Sam was throwing the same dumb picks in his 3rd and 4th NFL seasons that he was throwing in year 2 at USC. The Jets didn’t teach him how to make big mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, by definition, we passed on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, two franchise QB. Your argument should be “so did a lot of other teams” instead of denying reality. 

Eh, I’m not going down the Sam rabbit hole again. I think the “ruining” narrative is overblown. Sam was throwing the same dumb picks in his 3rd and 4th NFL seasons that he was throwing in year 2 at USC. The Jets didn’t teach him how to make big mistakes. 

Sam was a bottom 3 starting QB here and that is still somehow markedly better than ZW. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Showed nothing early on? where does this narrative come from? 

Daniel Jones had 24 TD passes and 12 INTS in his rookie year - wouldn’t that be like top 5 in our entire history? Lol 

And he had 15 TDs this year and now is going to be paid $45MM next year 

Just now, JetsAddict said:

Sam was a bottom 3 starting QB here and that is still somehow markedly better than ZW. 

Definitely. 

the only reason I have Sam ahead of Zach right now is that Sam completely busted here over 3 years and we saw the wheels totally come off in year 3, culminating in Sam’s trade. 

Zach is only at the end of year 2 and will most likely be on the roster next year, so he still could (in theory) show something next year.

I suspect Zach will be the biggest draft bust in jets history when all is said and done. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would have added hackenburg to the list even if he was a 2nd rounder.

I would definitely put Hackenburg up there.  At least with Gholston and Zac, you look at the physical talent, put your hands over your eyes and forget about the lack of NFL skills and you understand the need for the position and why the pick was made. 

Hack never made sense to anyone.  People described it as a surreal experience watching an NFL qb not being able to hit high school level passes.

It was so, so obviously a terrible pick, only the worlds worst GM could ever have made it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Who is denying reality?  Lamar was the last pick of the 1st round.  So he was passed up by every team (or most every team) in the NFL.

Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round.  Are you going to criticize every team for passing on him for that long?  He wasn't in the conversation in the 1st round.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who is denying reality?  Lamar was the last pick of the 1st round.  So he was passed up by every team (or most every team) in the NFL.

Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round.  Are you going to criticize every team for passing on him for that long?  He wasn't in the conversation.

You acted flabbergasted by the statement that we passed on josh Allen and Lamar Jackson - it seemed like you were in denial. 

now you are comparing a 6th rounder to someone taken at the end of the first round?  Mmmk. 

Good talk!

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You acted flabbergasted by the statement that we passed on josh Allen and Lamar Jackson - it seemed like you were in denial. 

now you are comparing a 6th rounder to someone taken at the end of the first round?  Mmmk. 

Good talk!

You can argue that we passed on Josh Allen.  Lamar Jackson wasn't in the conversation.

23 minutes ago, Hael said:

I would definitely put Hackenburg up there.  At least with Gholston and Zac, you look at the physical talent, put your hands over your eyes and forget about the lack of NFL skills and you understand the need for the position and why the pick was made. 

Hack never made sense to anyone.  People described it as a surreal experience watching an NFL qb not being able to hit high school level passes.

It was so, so obviously a terrible pick, only the worlds worst GM could ever have made it.

Yep. Just terrible. 

you could make a legit argument for hack being as bad as any of them - especially since it helped prevent us from taking a hard look at Watson/Mahomes the following year 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I know some may not agree, but Wilson will only be #1 bust if he doesn't rebound, and he does still have some time left even if that looks grim. So the correct answer is Gholston currently at #1 until Wilson's stint with the JETS is over.

Exactly

Years ago, the standard for QB readiness to start was 5 years.  Old timers will remember that.  It’s an outdated standard..and obviously didn’t hold up over time with so many QBs breaking through and being very good..even as early as year 2.  Mahomes comes to mind right off the bat, but there are others. Granted there are a few QBs who are outliers ..hitting the ground running in year 1…but it’s the exception, not the rule.

What is worrisome about Zach is HOW BAD he’s been in his 1st injury plagued 2 years - 22 NFL games that equate to about 1.3 seasons.  He has troublesome mechanical issues, but mostly it seems that “mentally” he’s very much out of sync.  We’ve seen baseball players suffer from the “yips” and having a very difficult time overcoming the condition, so I agree it’s a concern with no guarantee he’ll get appreciably better to warrant his draft position.

So, while we need a new veteran QB to lead our “win now” Jets team, I’m all for keeping him as our #2 and developing him to potentially be our future #1.
Chances are he’ll end up getting some playing time next season and I’m all for giving him a 2nd shot.  It’s too early to give up on him and call him a “bust.” He has the physical talent (arm and mobility) to be a good NFL QB.  His issues are all “between the ears” and while challenging to overcome..it’s not a permanent disabling condition.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You can argue that we passed on Josh Allen.  Lamar Jackson wasn't in the conversation.

Why? Because you say so? 

I believe Chris Simms had Jackson as his QB1 that year, FYI. There were people who LOVED Jackson.

Btw, I had him third on my list behind Sam and Baker. 

by definition, the jets passed on Lamar Jackson. Your point makes no sense and seems to be based on some arbitrary cutoff that only you can “explain”

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why? Because you say so? 

I believe Chris Simms had Jackson as his QB1 that year, FYI. There were people who LOVED Jackson.

Btw, I had him third on my list behind Sam and Baker. 

by definition, the jets passed on Lamar Jackson. Your point makes no sense and seems to be based on some arbitrary cutoff that only you can “explain”

Because he went #32 in the draft.

Was Brock Purdy in the convo for 1st QB taken last year?

People don't want to hear this....but who cares......the book isn't fully written on Zach yet.....so its not fair to call him the #1 bust yet. Same with putting Becton on the list. These are young kids that could have a miraculous turnaround....

Do I  personally believe Zach will turn it around? No

Do I believe Zach will turn out to be one of the biggest busts of all time? Yes

But we gotta let it play out before rushing to such statements.....anything else is recency bias 

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round.  Are you going to criticize every team for passing on him for that long?  He wasn't in the conversation in the 1st round.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Darnold being a bigger bust than Zach Wilson today. We passed up not one, not two, but three first round picks and a 2nd round pick from the 49ers. I'd argue to say the Jets get a slightly bigger and better offer from the 49ers because they were picking 2 overall, ahead of the Dolphins 3rd overall pick. Now juxtapose that with giving up three 2nd round picks to move up and draft Sam Darnold. To me missing out on what the 49ers would have given the Jets to move up to the 2 pick in the draft is much worse than giving up 3 second round picks for Darnold.

Next factor in the play of Zach Wilson compared to Sam Darnold. I don't ever remember Darnold being as bad as Zach Wilson. The Jets have invested in the offense much more for Zach Wilson by comparison to what they gave Sam Darnold while he was QB1 for the Jets. I'm not saying Sam Darnold is a great quarterback but compared to Zach Wilson he's Ben Roethlisberger. Zach Wilson could be out of the NFL in two years, and on the other hand I can still see Darnold on an NFL roster in two years. 

Let's just wait until 12 months from now, because you never know, there's a chance Zach Wilson turns into Aaron Rodgers. LOL

Definite recency bias as Johnny “Lam” Jones was the 2nd pick in the 1980 draft and a bigger bust than Gholston.

The Jets traded multiple first round picks to move up to the 2nd pick in the 1980 draft. The pick should have been Anthony Munoz, but the Jets foolishly listened to their medical staff and took Jones instead. Jones did virtually nothing and was a huge bust while Munoz is a HOFer.

Zach Wilson may eventually be the biggest bust but I voted for Jones because we know how his career with the Jets played out. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alka said:

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

That and Wilson is only 23 years old, has physical tools and just finished 2 seasons of ball while Gholston and others listed careers are over

• Upvote 1

And has been mentioned - Hack - should have been included as a ‘bust’ even as a 2nd round pick. As a Penn State grad, I saw almost all of his college snaps at QB. He was really bad.  I was shocked the Jets selected him so early in the draft.

Not a bust in my mind because I never expected him to be any good.  I guess it was more a “bust” by the GM who picked him.

Almost all of these picks bothered me less  than Dorian Boose and James Farrior.  Boose "replaced" Hugh Douglas.  I think they both had the same number of sacks for the Jets after Douglas was dealt to the Eagles.  Farrior was a fine player, but we traded down from two HOF LTs for "our LT!"   We ended up with nothing much, then one good year at ILB before he went on to a fine career in Pittsburgh.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you think Sam Darnold's career is over in the NFL?

No, just as Geno Smiths isn’t close to being over.  Zach has the tools, if the light ever goes off, if he fixes mechanics who to say what he will be capable of today?  It’s a guess fueled by a lot of hatred at this point.   I get it but he hasn’t played 2 seasons as a QB yet