Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time?

Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest Jets draft bust

• Johnny “Lam” Jones
    • Blair Thomas
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Vernon Gholston
    • Dee Milliner
    • Russell Carter
    • Kyle Brady
    • Dave Cadigan
    • Ron Faurot
    • Jeff Lagemen
    • Zach Wilson
    • Sam Darnold

Wilson considering that he is a QB and was picked # 2 overall.  Honorable mention to Blair Thomas based on the position he was drafted and what the expectations were.  Gholston might be # 3, but many of us and many of the pundits knew he was a bust before he was drafted.  Mangini who's regime had a hot hand drafting got knocked off balance with the Gholston pick.  They were afraid of him going to NE and becoming a menace for the Jets in the years to come. That pick was a foolish defensive tactic motivated by fear and not sound reasoning.

Safe to say that Wilson is the biggest bust in NY Jets draft history. 

• Sympathy 2

Right now, my top 3 would be Gholston, Darnold, and Wilson, in no particular order. Wilson is trending towards being number 1, but he's only entering year 3, so there is still a small (but nonzero) chance he rebounds. Gholston legit couldn't play and never recorded a single career sack - which is hard to fathom. Darnold was heralded as the best QB prospect in that draft, and remember, we traded 3 second round picks to move up and take him and passed on both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, in the process. 

Right now, I'd vote: 

1) Darnold, 2) Wilson, Gholston. 

I suspect that after next year, it will be:

1) Wilson, 2) Darnold, 3) Gholston. 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

lol 

Zach sucks but putting him 1st is complete recency bias 

Gholston didn't record a Sack as a pass rusher and could barely even get on the field...

No draft pick put the Jets behind as badly as the Wilson pick did.  He single handedly destroyed two seasons and unless JD stops being stubborn trying to get his draft pick to work out, he will wreck the 2023 season as well. 

The Blair Thomas and Gholston picks did not bare fruit of any kind, but they were not season wreckers like Wilson.

Many of us saw it coming.  Wilson is a college sprint out QB that can play schoolyard ball, but he has ZERO NFL chops.  

Wilson is the clear # 1 bust in NY Jets history based on the position he was picked, the position he plays QB and the damage that the pick did and is still doing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Zach Wilson in a landslide due to the opportunity cost of taking him instead of the 49ers trade package.

OPPORTUNITY COST

Dolphins trade 2021 1st round pick, 3rd overall (Trey Lance) to the 49ers for the following:

• 49ers 2021 1st round pick (12th overall, subsequently traded, Micah Parsons)
  • 49ers 2022 1st round pick (29th overall, subsequently traded, Cole Strange)
  • 49ers 2023 1st round pick
  • 49ers 2022 2nd round pick (102nd overall, Channing Tindall)

This guy gets it.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quite easily gholston.

I would have added hackenburg to the list even if he was a 2nd rounder.

Dee Milliner and DRob should not be on the list.  Becton should be on the list.

Becton had a great rookie year and is still on the team. Unlike Zach Mekhi actually showed he could play in the league so there is hope. 

3 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I think it’s safe to put Zach on the list. My guess is top 3 will be Zach, Thomas, and Gholston. 

I would argue Darnold was more damaging to the franchise than Zach given the fact they gave up 3 second round picks to move up to get him. 

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

This is true. At least Zach did some good things. Gholston didn’t contribute to the team at all. 

• Upvote 2