Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time?

Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest Jets draft bust

• Johnny “Lam” Jones
    • Blair Thomas
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Vernon Gholston
    • Dee Milliner
    • Russell Carter
    • Kyle Brady
    • Dave Cadigan
    • Ron Faurot
    • Jeff Lagemen
    • Zach Wilson
    • Sam Darnold

28 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

People don't want to hear this....but who cares......the book isn't fully written on Zach yet.....so its not fair to call him the #1 bust yet. Same with putting Becton on the list. These are young kids that could have a miraculous turnaround....

Do I  personally believe Zach will turn it around? No

Do I believe Zach will turn out to be one of the biggest busts of all time? Yes

But we gotta let it play out before rushing to such statements.....anything else is recency bias 

Couldn’t agree more.  Chances are..it won’t work out for ZW long term..and JD knows that and will secure a vet QB to lead the team.  While I would‘t term a possible turnaround “miraculous”..it’s still a rather long shot..but worth taking a chance on.  

• Upvote 1

Seen plenty of draft busts, but not all on that list do I classify as a bust. When talking biggest I look at how they impacted the future. Off your list I would include Millner because of free agent money spent for a replacement, Darnold having to draft Zach and finally Zach due the uncertainty.

The only argument that Zach isn't the biggest bust is that he was more "overdrafted" than a "bust" meaning he had zero business going that high vs. everyone thought he should go high and he just sucked.

But I mean, 2nd overall pick in a loaded first round and the guy is a god awful player who everyone on his team apparently hates.

Mormon Ryan Leaf is right.

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The only argument that Zach isn't the biggest bust is that he was more "overdrafted" than a "bust" meaning he had zero business going that high vs. everyone thought he should go high and he just sucked.

But I mean, 2nd overall pick in a loaded first round and the guy is a god awful player who everyone on his team apparently hates.

Mormon Ryan Leaf is right.

you look at those top 10-12 selections and it stings. Sewell, Parsons, the SF deal.. not exactly lacking for other options. 

It's the reason that Douglas is a dead man walking imo.

• Upvote 3

All busts clearly. Big ones. Reason I can’t put a QB at the top of the list is that it’s a lot more understandable to reach and whiff on QB. It’s the hardest position to scout and at some point a GM just has to accept the risk and pull the lever.

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Geno has had a remarkable turnaround. I hope Wilson can do the same, JetNut. 

Oh I hear you, not saying he will but the opportunity is there for him to amount to something a lot more worthwhile than a Gholston like career

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I hear you... Gholsten busted amongst one of the best Jets rosters of all time.  We went to 2 AFC Champ games.  We had a below average offense, not D, so his bust didn't kill us.  As someone else pointed out, the picks all around him busted as well. 

In 2020,  We had zero O-Line and JD drafts Becton  when Wirfs was available and we still haven't had an O-line that is at least average and not patchwork.  If we had Wirfs, this team is in a much better position.

That's why I added him. 

This becton vs wirfs argument seems like 100% hindsight. The team was not looking to draft a RT in that spot. I believe Fant was the only other starting type tackle on the team and at that point he was still a huge question mark. Joe swung for the fences with a guy who had potential to be an all pro LT which the team desperately needed. Many of the guys on the list shouldn’t even be considered busts yet because it’s too early. Zach, Sam, and Becton. They are all under 25 and have plenty of time to turn it around 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This becton vs wirfs argument seems like 100% hindsight. The team was not looking to draft a RT in that spot. I believe Fant was the only other starting type tackle on the team and at that point he was still a huge question mark. Joe swung for the fences with a guy who had potential to be an all pro LT which the team desperately needed. Many of the guys on the list shouldn’t even be considered busts yet because it’s too early. Zach, Sam, and Becton. They are all under 25 and have plenty of time to turn it around 

I've argued it ad nauseum.   Go back and look at ALL the experts almost 80 to 90 percent were in favor of Wertz.  Add to that the Zach pick.

I don't see Becton every completing a season healthy.  Just an opinion.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I've argued it ad nauseum.   Go back and look at ALL the experts almost 80 to 90 percent were in favor of Wertz.  Add to that the Zach pick.

I don't see Becton every completing a season healthy.  Just an opinion.

As a prospect at rt in general yes wirfs was a safer pick. However the team was not looking to draft a rt that high (most teams shouldn’t) Becton still has potential to be an all pro LT. I studied that draft a ton that year. My #1 was Wills and had becton like 4 because he scared me with how raw he looked. 

All I’m saying is that Becton can not be considered a bust because he’s still young and hasn’t played bad when he was on the field. 

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

As a prospect at rt in general yes wirfs was a safer pick. However the team was not looking to draft a rt that high (most teams shouldn’t) Becton still has potential to be an all pro LT. I studied that draft a ton that year. My #1 was Wills and had becton like 4 because he scared me with how raw he looked. 

All I’m saying is that Becton can not be considered a bust because he’s still young and hasn’t played bad when he was on the field. 

Yes... go back to my original post, I said 1 year from today, Becton will be a bust.  I believe that. Your points are well taken.  But a  Top 5 bust in one year just my opinion.  Dont think I will be wrong.

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes... go back to my original post, I said 1 year from today, Becton will be a bust.  I believe that. Your points are well taken.  But a  Top 5 bust in one year just my opinion.  Dont think I will be wrong.

Why do you think he’ll bust? on the field he’s played well and he has extra motivation this year because huge $$$ is on the line. In these scenarios guys usually ball out. I can see him being the type to slack off after getting paid though  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DireJet said:

Vern & Zach are neck & neck right now. Slight edge to Zach bc I don’t think Vern opened his mouth 1X to say something dumb. 

With Gholston the damage was contained to us not having an edge rusher 

Next season is going a third straight wasted year because Zach sucks

38 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why do you think he’ll bust? on the field he’s played well and he has extra motivation this year because huge $$$ is on the line. In these scenarios guys usually ball out. I can see him being the type to slack off after getting paid though  

Jets fans giving up on Becton who was the best rookie OT 2 years ago but we still need another 10 years and 7 OCs plus Deandre Hopkins to see what we have in Zach Wilson

16 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Jets fans giving up on Becton who was the best rookie OT 2 years ago but we still need another 10 years and 7 OCs plus Deandre Hopkins to see what we have in Zach Wilson

Did Zach screw your mom or something? You bring him up endlessly 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:11 PM, Beerfish said:

Yes.

A pass rusher 6th overall that got 0 career sacks and lasted 3 years.

A qb who got picked 2nd overall and might be competing with JaMarcus russel for  2nd worst qb ever picked in top 5 of the 1st round. Qbs misses are much more damaging to a franchise than pass rusher misses

18 hours ago, BurntDice said:

He has already busted. It's not a matter of if he will bust. 

I'm too late to the party, but I voted Gholston.  ZW has a chance to move to #1 after next year.

However, I think it is unfair to bring up the "we could've gotten this package for trading that Zach pick back" b/c the Jets could have traded back with any of those guys' picks, but we don't know what all those would look like.  So, throw out the hypothetical and just judge on what did happen.

Thus, I'm surprised Darnold didn't get more attention here.  IIRC, he was the #3 pick and it cost three 2nd round picks to move up to take him.  That's 4 premium picks for one guy.

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

He has already busted. It's not a matter of if he will bust. 

He’s only been in the league 3 years. Injuries have derailed him the last 2. His play hasn’t been the problem. By this logic Maye would have been a massive bust because he was hurt a lot his first couple years 

On 1/21/2023 at 4:00 PM, BurntDice said:

Wills was also a RT at Alabama and Ceveland moved him to LT at the NFL level. Jets could have done the same with Wirfs or just kept Wirfs at RT so Fant (who was signed during that FA period) could play left tackle. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Wills was also a RT at Alabama and Ceveland moved him to LT at the NFL level. Jets could have done the same with Wirfs or just kept Wirfs at RT so Fant (who was signed during that FA period) could play left tackle. 

Wills was the RT because Tua is a lefty and he was protecting the blindside. 

Fant was a spot starter in SEA and should not have been locked in as the LT day 1. Drafting a guy (becton) who has played LT in college was the better bet. Go look at wirfs scouting reports. All say they he’s a RT. 

On 1/20/2023 at 7:34 PM, Alka said:

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

He also started 3 games for the #1 overall defense in points and yardage allowed.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, y2k8 said:

I never really understood the Gholston hate.

He was a bust, and it's a shame, but picks 4 thru 9 were all busts as well.

The opportunity cost of VG does not warrant the "biggest bust of all time" label. Not even close...

Consider Blair Thomas. He was picked at 2. Cortez Kennedy at 3. Junior Seau at 5. Emmit Smith at SEVENTEEN.

The opportunity cost of a Blair Thomas is far more devastating than that of Vernon Gholston.

Same with Kyle Brady. Serviceable pro but we passed on Warren friggin Sapp. These are franchise changing mistakes.

Oh actually picked Thomas. But it is debatable w so much to chose from