A Decade of Pain

choon328

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Im 60….   Ive been through a ton.  Sounds like you have as well. Ron Rico??  How’s that name happen?

Ron Rico Rum. It's in honor of somebody I did alot of drinking with who died. We drank alot of Two Fingers tequila, too. Two Fingers has a sexual innuendo to it, so I went with Ron Rico. 

You ever heard of a shocker?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Ron Rico Rum. It's in honor of somebody I did alot of drinking with who died. We drank alot of Two Fingers tequila, too. Two Fingers has a sexual innuendo to it, so I went with Ron Rico. 

No but I’m almost fluent in Spanish so it has a latino ring to it, that’s why I asked.  Shocker/ No, I’m a scotch guy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

Doesn't that involve 3 fingers?

I see a lot of people saying Rodgers is maybe a two year hire and things will revert after he leaves. But I think it’s important to look at it from the standpoint that the jets ability to land a big fish like Rodgers is rare and the timing is right. If he gets two seasons the jets should have enough time to get the next qb identified to take over. And this coincides with needing to re- sign players like avt or sauce or hall or gWilson. Other QBs like Carr will want longer term deals so that will take away cap space after two seasons. And who knows if the jets really do want to keep zwilson around. Say what you will, zwilson won five this past season and failed only after the breece hall , avt wheels fell off and in spite of milfy.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:54 AM, kevinc855 said:

Yes yea roll the ****in dice for once over rolling the dice with a cheap fill in qb. Jesus Christ 

I am convinced Wilson is not an NFL QB and agree it's time to move on.  I don't think signing the Minshew, Mayfield journeyman back up type is the answer either.   I think the run SF went on with Purdy makes Garappolo look like a bad option (and worse with his injury history).  

I'm on board with signing Carr.

I just think trading for and paying Rodgers would be a massive mistake that sets the franchise back years.  That, IMO, is the worst option.  The Jets can recover from Wilson, but they won't recover from Rodgers if they trade top picks, pay him $100 million over two years, and he continues to decline. He was average to below average last season and I'm not sure it gets any better going forward. 

We could have had Mike McCarthy for 2019.  Properly developed Rodgers, super bowl W on his resume.  It was going to be a new era! Ambassador Woody and his brother we never knew about passed because "he wanted to bring in his own people" thereby taking over the whole operation which needed to be done anyways.  Ownership puckered up and we ended up with coach Sideline Popper and hilarious results.               I like Cuervo Gold, Jack No.7, Johnny Black and my medicine bottle is Glenlivet 12.  Yuengling's good enough but I'll take a Guinness draft if they have it.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I've been a diehard fan since the mid 60s.  I lived through a terrible decade in the 70s.  I lived through the 80s when the Jets had some very good teams and made the playoffs 4 times in 6 seasons and the losses to end those seasons were among the most painful in memory - the  wild card loss to Buffalo in 81, the mud bowl in 82, the loss to the Pats at home in 85, the soul crushing loss to Cleveland in 86.  Then another decade of bad seasons until the late 90s and early 2000s.  Playoffs in 98, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2010.  Those seasons also ended with difficult losses - Denver in the 98 title game, Oakland in 01 and 02,  Pittsburgh in 04, NE in 06 and then the back to back AFC title losses to Indy and Pittsburgh. Then we had the last 13 years of losing again. I'm leaving out the tough losses in the almost playoff seasons (72, 79, 92, 97, 00, 08, 11, 15).

Yes, those winning seasons had some fun and memorable games.  But I am as tired of the crushing season ending playoff defeats as I am the losing seasons.  Making the playoffs is fun, but it stops being fun when the Jets fall short.  The SB is the goal and its been 54 years. The goal is to win the SB, not make the playoffs.  And if taking a one year shot means another long rebuild, I'm not on board for that.  The Jets need to build a team that makes the playoffs regularly, not a team that has a 1-2 year window.  The way to win the SB is to build a sustainable winning team that has multiple shots at winning the SB.  It's too hard to win the SB and too much can go wrong to pin our hopes on one shot. In many ways, the losing seasons are easier to take than the heartbreak.  When you ask most fans what the worst memories are, it is those playoff losses, not the 2 or 4 win seasons. 

So when someone says playoffs are good enough and let's go all out for a one year run, I say BS. Been there done that for 50+ years and it is sometimes fun, but never satisfying.  In retrospect, making the playoff is settling and is just not good enough.

I largely agree with this. There is a huge difference between squeaking into the playoffs  with a young QB and a young team that you can build off of the next year, and sneaking in with a JAG or JAG+ QB who is unlikely to improve the following year.

The idea of sneaking into the playoffs with a Garrapolo, or Tannehill, or Minshew type guy does absolutely nothing for me.

Carr, maybe a little hope that the team around him can improve a little and give some hope for next year.

Rodgers, if you can even get into the playoffs he can do some damage, but its unlikely at this point in his career barring a really strong roster around him.

All these scenarios really do is put off the inevitable change of coaching which is required right now. Once a coaching staff proves they can't identify and/or develop a QB, its time to move on from them, but instead we will try to get a JAG QB who can sneak into the playoffs and save these incompetent coaches jobs. That does nothing for me and really just wastes years

2000 sticks with me.  Christmas eve. Ravens with nothing to play for but seeding.  Tuned in on the car ride to upstate.  Jets up 14-0 against a great defense.  And ours was pretty good too.  Ravens chipped back to 17-12 but Jets in red zone just before the half.  Feelin' good.  Vinny throws to end zone. Picked off and returned all the way.  Ruined my whole GD holiday.  There's some great pictures of me and my face that I can insanely laugh at now.    

5 hours ago, since1975 said:

We could have had Mike McCarthy for 2019.  Properly developed Rodgers, super bowl W on his resume.  It was going to be a new era! Ambassador Woody and his brother we never knew about passed because "he wanted to bring in his own people" thereby taking over the whole operation which needed to be done anyways.  Ownership puckered up and we ended up with coach Sideline Popper and hilarious results.               I like Cuervo Gold, Jack No.7, Johnny Black and my medicine bottle is Glenlivet 12.  Yuengling's good enough but I'll take a Guinness draft if they have it.  

Guinness draft is the go to in the bar.