BRYCE FORD-WHEATON, WR, WVU

Any thoughts on him?  Big, fast, excellent wing-span.  Supposedly runs good routes and expected to go in the 6th or 7th?  Seems like a guy that will be able to play from jump and won't be physically outclassed in the NFL.  Seemed like a body catcher from what I saw, but still I am surprised that I have not heard anything about him here.  Maybe I missed it.  Maybe he is just a duplicate of what we are getting from Mims?  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Any thoughts on him?  Big, fast, excellent wing-span.  Supposedly runs good routes and expected to go in the 6th or 7th?  Seems like a guy that will be able to play from jump and won't be physically outclassed in the NFL.  Seemed like a body catcher from what I saw, but still I am surprised that I have not heard anything about him here.  Maybe I missed it.  Maybe he is just a duplicate of what we are getting from Mims?  

I haven't really scouted him, but I did check out some YouTube videos on him.  I wasn't that impressed.  A ton of back shoulder throws where he just didn't get any separation.  I just don't see the good routes, I see a guy that got his level of production because he was bigger and faster.  I didn't see much route variety, quick hitters, back shoulder passes (basically impossible to defend in college because they CBs in man just can't keep up), and a few good routes.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, win4ever said:

I haven't really scouted him, but I did check out some YouTube videos on him.  I wasn't that impressed.  A ton of back shoulder throws where he just didn't get any separation.  I just don't see the good routes, I see a guy that got his level of production because he was bigger and faster.  I didn't see much route variety, quick hitters, back shoulder passes (basically impossible to defend in college because they CBs in man just can't keep up), and a few good routes.  

Pretty much what I expected to hear.  From what I saw in his highlights he is big and has a great wingspan but lets the ball come into his body.  Mostly I saw him running up the field with DBs 5 yards behind in trail and him coming back to woeful underthrows.  I guess maybe one man's woeful underthrow is another man's back shoulder throw.  He runs easy and there are a few clips of him running away from teams when he looks like he is cruising and for his size his agility numbers are good.  I think his RAS is 10.

The concerning thing to me is that they say he is not a good run blocker and at his size if he has a good work ethic he should be slaughtering people.  Also he is a 5th year senior so presumably another older prospect.  Things I like are a late round prospect with NFL traits that improved every year.  If he is willing to play specials I would be strongly considering him if he is around in the 7th.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty much what I expected to hear.  From what I saw in his highlights he is big and has a great wingspan but lets the ball come into his body.  Mostly I saw him running up the field with DBs 5 yards behind in trail and him coming back to woeful underthrows.  I guess maybe one man's woeful underthrow is another man's back shoulder throw.  He runs easy and there are a few clips of him running away from teams when he looks like he is cruising and for his size his agility numbers are good.  I think his RAS is 10.

The concerning thing to me is that they say he is not a good run blocker and at his size if he has a good work ethic he should be slaughtering people.  Also he is a 5th year senior so presumably another older prospect.  Things I like are a late round prospect with NFL traits that improved every year.  If he is willing to play specials I would be strongly considering him if he is around in the 7th.

I just don't see the consistent separation for a guy that should have the speed to separate from these corners consistently.  As a late round pick, I like him, but it's almost purely just the physical profile.  But I haven't really dug deep in this class, so idk.  Just scouting him based on highlight films because I don't have WV film, so I don't have a good idea on his skills.  

I kinda like Marvin Mims, but I'm not sure how much he falls as a late round guy.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, manuvsteal said:

He ran well at the combine, but West Virginia typically doesn't produce good receivers.  Remember Tayvon Austin in the 1st round to the Rams a few years ago? Neither do most people.  Having said that this dude is worth a late round pick to try to develop. 

Austin was overdrafted, but he has been in the league a decade.  Stedman Bailey didn't do much either, but I think Kevin White is the comp you're looking for.   I have to see how many other physical freaks there are that are going to go that late.  Sometimes you get MVS, or Darren Waller, other times it's DeAndre Smelter or Robert Davis. 

On 3/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I like him & I also like Dontayvion Wicks... I would be fine with either one... 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetsons said:

I like him & I also like Dontayvion Wicks... I would be fine with either one... 

Wasn't Wicks a slug at the combine?  Seems like the bulk of h is catches were contested, which I think win4ever would equate with lack of separation.  He looks slow and he timed slow.  Bad combo for me, but I am a traits whore.  If I were looking for size I would be more likely to lean on Landers from Arkansas or the kid from Maryland. Dontay Demus, who could be a beast if he is just slow coming around from the ACL. I am not rolling the dice on that in the 3rd or 4th like some project, but if he falls, I would consider.  He also timed fairly poorly.  Demus has serious wingspan, but he didn't exactly catch a huge number of TDs.  Landers did, but he also seems like a guy who lets the ball get to his body a bit too much.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't Wicks a slug at the combine?  Seems like the bulk of h is catches were contested, which I think win4ever would equate with lack of separation.  He looks slow and he timed slow.  Bad combo for me, but I am a traits whore.  If I were looking for size I would be more likely to lean on Landers from Arkansas or the kid from Maryland. Dontay Demus, who could be a beast if he is just slow coming around from the ACL. I am not rolling the dice on that in the 3rd or 4th like some project, but if he falls, I would consider.  He also timed fairly poorly.  Demus has serious wingspan, but he didn't exactly catch a huge number of TDs.  Landers did, but he also seems like a guy who lets the ball get to his body a bit too much.

I was very much on Demus last year, I think I had him as my sleeper last year before he got injured.  I was hoping he'd run a little faster because his catch radius is massive with his arms.  Not fully sold on his routes, but he's certainly someone I have my eye on as well.  The long speed is fine, I just want to see him have his old lateral mobility with his cuts.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not as high on him as say a guy like Jayden Reed out of Michigan State. I know Reed is expected to go a bit sooner than round 6-7 (probably Rd. 4-5). But he's a much better fit to immediately contribute to this offense as it currently stands and serve as a potential 'replacement' for Berrios. He is a terrific punt/kick returner. So you can plug him in on specials. He is versatile and can play outside or in the slot (better fit as a shifty slot receiver). Was productive in college. Tested well at the combine. Just a solid, safe pick and a guy who should contribute as good depth on a talented roster. And of course, he's used to wearing green and white. 

Liked him from what I saw in college.  Good but not great prospect but flashes with some big plays from time to time.  Ran much faster at the combine than I expected.

This play, while not a TD in the NFL, was pretty incredible.

• Upvote 1