Any watch aficionados?

I have always been intrigued by timepieces, but have never really worn a watch.  I haven’t even had one since I was a little kid.  

I have been looking at some chronograph type watches lately and have been drawn to this citizen, due to the solar power capability, and perpetual clock, and its just so damn sexy in green.  

My wife surprised me with it today!  By no means is it some ultra luxury watch, but its  way nicer than anything I have ever had.  I feel another money sucking hobby!  

I am interested in knowing what everyone else is wearing, and what brands I should be looking into.  

B7A5E1DD-D976-4D89-886E-41BC84CD6BF3.jpeg

0ED857C9-9BB1-4626-8C6D-7E89B772C87F.jpeg

49EB9420-7774-4967-BF6C-F6EBBD1B2D43.jpeg

• Upvote 2

That is a really nice Citizen.  Dial has a ton going on but it is very nice.  I have an eco-drive of my Dad's and you can leave it in the dark for 6 months, pull it out and it will still be keeping time.  5 minutes in the sun and it is good for another 6 months.  Mine is a dated 90's era gold and silver dress watch.  Mine isn't radio-controlled.  That thing with synch to the atomic clock and be dead right until dinosaurs are roaming the earth again.  It is a little on the larger side, no?  I don't like going over 40 mm if I can help it. 

I got sucked into it because it lets me try something mechanical without taking up as much room as the cars and motorcycles.  I have gone more into the modification/repair angle.  I have zero super high dollar watches, but several nice mid/lower tier quartz and some nicer older mechanicals.  I have repaired a couple of my vintage Timex and pieced together some of my Dad's older ones.  Swapping dials, hands, to try and make what I like or for gifts. 

Lately most of the time I have been wearing mecha-quartz chronographs (I don't like the 1 tick per second of most quartz) a Chinese Pagani Design Daytona knock-off that I threw a cheap ali-express leather rally strap with oblong perforations and a really nice gold Seiko anniversary edition. 

I could probably post a picture a day for a year of ones I have that interest me, but they won't interest anybody else that doesn't already know what a WIS is and that they are one. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Im into watches as well but curb it because i can only be into so much.

i have a 1980 rolex datejust i love

My buddy just gave me an 80s gold day date knock off to fix.  It's damn near impossible to open the case.  They copied to Rolex back so you need the tool, but the quality is so crappy.  It also probably had some water in it and I don't think 1980's counterfeit technology was up to the challenge.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I have always been intrigued by timepieces, but have never really worn a watch.  I haven’t even had one since I was a little kid.  

I have been looking at some chronograph type watches lately and have been drawn to this citizen, due to the solar power capability, and perpetual clock, and its just so damn sexy in green.  

My wife surprised me with it today!  By no means is it some ultra luxury watch, but its  way nicer than anything I have ever had.  I feel another money sucking hobby!  

I am interested in knowing what everyone else is wearing, and what brands I should be looking into.  

B7A5E1DD-D976-4D89-886E-41BC84CD6BF3.jpeg

0ED857C9-9BB1-4626-8C6D-7E89B772C87F.jpeg

49EB9420-7774-4967-BF6C-F6EBBD1B2D43.jpeg

You'll get real far on the subway with that . 

• Haha 1

B7A5E1DD-D976-4D89-886E-41BC84CD6BF3.thumb.jpeg.f3fa1685517f16c304bda72137ee5572.jpeg
0ED857C9-9BB1-4626-8C6D-7E89B772C87F.thumb.jpeg.fc0d03aa1771fc115288b0b5cbea18e3.jpeg
49EB9420-7774-4967-BF6C-F6EBBD1B2D43.thumb.jpeg.30e60fecedc8a576a819ecb16d2cc975.jpeg
I have the Skyhawk, which is aviators watch. I have it to my dad and I got it back when he passed. It's a big watch with a lot going on. It's radio controlled like yours and it takes a while to pick up the time when it's been in a drawer for a while. I mostly wear it out of sentiment. I like the looks of yours much better.

I own a out 16 watches. The most valuable is a Patek Philippe circa 1950 that was my grandfather's. My favorite is a Longines diver I bought about 10 years ago.
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I have the Skyhawk, which is aviators watch. I have it to my dad and I got it back when he passed. It's a big watch with a lot going on. It's radio controlled like yours and it takes a while to pick up the time when it's been in a drawer for a while. I mostly wear it out of sentiment. I like the looks of yours much better.

I own a out 16 watches. The most valuable is a Patel Philippe circa 1950 that was my grandfather's. My favorite is a Longines diver I bought about 10 years ago.

Post pictures!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is a really nice Citizen.  Dial has a ton going on but it is very nice.  I have an eco-drive of my Dad's and you can leave it in the dark for 6 months, pull it out and it will still be keeping time.  5 minutes in the sun and it is good for another 6 months.  Mine is a dated 90's era gold and silver dress watch.  Mine isn't radio-controlled.  That thing with synch to the atomic clock and be dead right until dinosaurs are roaming the earth again.  It is a little on the larger side, no?  I don't like going over 40 mm if I can help it. 

I got sucked into it because it lets me try something mechanical without taking up as much room as the cars and motorcycles.  I have gone more into the modification/repair angle.  I have zero super high dollar watches, but several nice mid/lower tier quartz and some nicer older mechanicals.  I have repaired a couple of my vintage Timex and pieced together some of my Dad's older ones.  Swapping dials, hands, to try and make what I like or for gifts. 

Lately most of the time I have been wearing mecha-quartz chronographs (I don't like the 1 tick per second of most quartz) a Chinese Pagani Design Daytona knock-off that I threw a cheap ali-express leather rally strap with oblong perforations and a really nice gold Seiko anniversary edition. 

I could probably post a picture a day for a year of ones I have that interest me, but they won't interest anybody else that doesn't already know what a WIS is and that they are one. 

Thanks!  Its a little on the fancy side for me, but Ill probably only use it on certain occasions.  It is kind of big for my taste too (43) but I really wanted all the features of this one and couldn’t find anything smaller.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

This is my Longines diver and the Patel Philippe. My dad had the gold Rolex style band made for it but it's coming off and it's going back on brown leather like it was intended. I have no idea what he was thinking.cced92d91a2f7016d4dd73e85677ba0f.jpg9813ba045e8bb913172e81da4c484360.jpg

Sweet!  Isn't it Patek Philippe?  I thought it was just a typo, but then you wrote it again.

Last one for now. This is the Seiko "Cocktail Time." I bought it about 13 years ago from a retailer in Japan. At the time it was a JDM only model. This is one of my favorite watches. It is so sharp looking and you can really wear it anytime except in a true formal setting.475dd8db96d2f67232d56ac8a5d0fdba.jpg

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Two that I wear a lot. The white dial is an Orient. They are a couple of hundred bucks but they are great watches for the money. The other is the Seiko "Orange Monster." Love that one.

f676df1c9df92521bf16d9357cb4631a.jpg2648fac77e97e507cc4d6faea5111502.jpg

I really like that Orient.  I have a Pagani Design Explorer knock-off that I bought a white birch dial for.  It is a Seiko NH35, so pretty standard.  I am hoping the look ends up something like that, but I haven't started on it for one reason or another.

• Sympathy 1

I really like that Orient.  I have a Pagani Design Explorer knock-off that I bought a white birch dial for.  It is a Seiko NH35, so pretty standard.  I am hoping the look ends up something like that, but I haven't started on it for one reason or another.
Thank you. I have it on a leather strap now and it's pretty sharp. The one really amazing thing about this watch is how long it can go without being worn before it stops. The wind dial tops at 40 hours but I tested it and it went 44 hours and 45 minutes.4f1a3e73d42e18529c817e5017488289.jpg
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:

This is my Longines diver and the Patek Philippe. My dad had the gold Rolex style band made for it but it's coming off and it's going back on brown leather like it was intended. I have no idea what he was thinking.cced92d91a2f7016d4dd73e85677ba0f.jpg9813ba045e8bb913172e81da4c484360.jpg

I assume that's a Calatrava? Leather strap for sure but props for putting that much wear on it. I feel like too many people with Pateks nowadays just let the damn thing sit on their dresser which is such a shame.

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have zero super high dollar watches, but several nice mid/lower tier quartz and some nicer older mechanicals.  I have repaired a couple of my vintage Timex and pieced together some of my Dad's older ones. 

Post pics. Which mechanicals? Any of the old marlins?

On 4/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, Butterfield said:

...and what brands I should be looking into.  

Just my 2 c's on this: You can't let anyone answer this for you. It's really whatever brand and whatever model speaks to you. A Nautilus is only worth buying if a Nautilus is worth it in your eyes. What I will tell you is that if you think you're getting the bug with respect to buying a bunch of low to mid-level pieces but you have a long-term dream of getting a luxury brand, take all the money that you'd spend on the low to mid-level stuff and just buy that IWC or Rolex that you really want if you want one. Over time it's almost the same amount of money, you get the timepiece you really want, and it also holds its value in case you ever need to flip it. But again, it's only if you give a sh*t. I have friends that have tons of Orients and Seikos and yet they complain that a Seamaster is simply too expensive for them.

Also worth mentioning, I'm an Omega junkie, but as much as I love the expensive stuff, tbh I think a Weekender is as good looking a watch as anything else out there and it's damn reliable.

• Upvote 1

While I have a pair of Hamiltons that I love, one being the Interstellar watch, I rarely take this baby off my wrist. Work, casual, relaxing, it never gets old. Finest watch ever built.

ScreenShot2023-04-03at10_05_42PM.thumb.png.69915507c6b81747c08646f78afd8e7a.png
Beautiful watch. I really want a Seamaster Planet Ocean. I've been eyeing one for about 8 years now.

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:
13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:
While I have a pair of Hamiltons that I love, one being the Interstellar watch, I rarely take this baby off my wrist. Work, casual, relaxing, it never gets old. Finest watch ever built.

ScreenShot2023-04-03at10_05_42PM.thumb.png.69915507c6b81747c08646f78afd8e7a.png

Beautiful watch. I really want a Seamaster Planet Ocean. I've been eyeing one for about 8 years now.

I purchased one right before the pandemic and wound up selling it almost immediately. Thing was just sitting there because I love my Speedy too much. The big benefit of landing your dream piece is it essentially kills the hobby for you. Seamaster is a real stunner though, you can’t go wrong with any almost any Omega from any era. 

I purchased one right before the pandemic and wound up selling it almost immediately. Thing was just sitting there because I love my Speedy too much. The big benefit of landing your dream piece is it essentially kills the hobby for you. Seamaster is a real stunner though, you can’t go wrong with any almost any Omega from any era. 

Is there a reason the Seamaster is almost twice the price of the Speedmaster?

36 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Is there a reason the Seamaster is almost twice the price of the Speedmaster?

Cost. Speedmaster is actually even overpriced already because it's still using the same materials and (similar movements) from its birth during the moon missions. Seamaster is an actual true luxury watch while the Moonwatch is more of a workhorse posing now as a luxury piece. But everyone knows that, so they can't jack the prices too high, which is why the Speedy has about 80 billion variants with much more expensive materials. Seamaster is way closer to a Rolex than a Speedy is.

Cost. Speedmaster is actually even overpriced already because it's still using the same materials and (similar movements) from its birth during the moon missions. Seamaster is an actual true luxury watch while the Moonwatch is more of a workhorse posing now as a luxury piece. But everyone knows that, so they can't jack the prices too high, which is why the Speedy has about 80 billion variants with much more expensive materials. Seamaster is way closer to a Rolex than a Speedy is.
That's very interesting. I don't know much about Omegas other than I love the way they look and that they are considered a very good watch brand. I do not own a high end watch. The most I've ever paid for a watch was around $1,000. The two on my radar are the Planet Ocean I already mentioned and this Grand Seiko. 0faf8200cf619006a9d724cc5de8d193.jpg

25 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

That's very interesting. I don't know much about Omegas other than I love the way they look and that they are considered a very good watch brand. I do not own a high end watch. The most I've ever paid for a watch was around $1,000. The two on my radar are the Planet Ocean I already mentioned and this Grand Seiko. 0faf8200cf619006a9d724cc5de8d193.jpg

I'm still not clear on what the difference is between some of Seiko's higher end stuff and the Grand Seiko line, but I can't deny the fact that they have some beuts. One of their blue ones has become a huge collector's item, to my understanding. The face is really gorgeous on it.

image.thumb.png.c23e0c6a838effe6dacd00a3bbc311a6.png

• Upvote 1

I'm still not clear on what the difference is between some of Seiko's higher end stuff and the Grand Seiko line, but I can't deny the fact that they have some beuts. One of their blue ones has become a huge collector's item, to my understanding. The face is really gorgeous on it.
image.thumb.png.c23e0c6a838effe6dacd00a3bbc311a6.png
The movement in the Grand Seiko is the most accurate mechanical movement there is (Spring Drive.) The Grand Seikoa also uses much higher end materials. It's really an underrated watch because Seiko makes it. But it is one of the best watches you can buy. If you want a watch that is a statement of your perceived success, this is the watch. But if you want one of the best watches there is, you get the Grand Seiko

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had the gold Rolex style band removed from the watch and had it polished and cleaned. The band was soldered on in a few spots so not an easy job. The lugs had also been slightly modified to accept the gold band. I had the lugs restored as well. Now I'm trying to source a brown Patek Philippe strap and gold buckle. The jeweler did a great job and the pictures really don't do it justice.15397e06e4187c7885111bca260271e8.jpg68c648940377b8799c5e07de102412b0.jpg0a712491d6ea1c83d8f92ac7caadc791.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Well I had the gold Rolex style band removed from the watch and had it polished and cleaned. The band was soldered on in a few spots so not an easy job. The lugs had also been slightly modified to accept the gold band. I had the lugs restored as well. Now I'm trying to source a brown Patek Philippe strap and gold buckle. The jeweler did a great job and the pictures really don't do it justice.15397e06e4187c7885111bca260271e8.jpg68c648940377b8799c5e07de102412b0.jpg0a712491d6ea1c83d8f92ac7caadc791.jpg

Those are really amazing watches.  I saw one recently in person and it just felt really good.  

• Sympathy 1