Roster Update April 30 - After Draft and UDFAs

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I will also just add that Ogbuehi is an example of it not always being a tragedy to miss out on a 1st round tackle.

you're saying that Ogbuehi, as a former first round tackle, is an example of how those guys get overrated pre-draft? If so I agree. 

I actually did an hour long podcast once about Ogbuehi with Matt Waldman pre draft long story short he's got all the physical skills needed but no idea about technique. He's gotten better over the years but he's still not good 

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2023 at 10:47 AM, Lith said:

I would add Uzomah to the list.  Maybe trade for a 2024 6 or 7.  Cap implications make him hard to cut, but he was used primarily as a blocker last year.  Ruckert can probably step into that role this year.  Other than that, we would probably need to carry 4 TEs.

Also Carter Warren makes Ogbuehi expendable.  And Schweitzer or Colon could be on the roster bubble after signing McGovern and drafting Tippman.

I wouldn't release or trade any OL at this time.

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you're saying that Ogbuehi, as a former first round tackle, is an example of how those guys get overrated pre-draft? If so I agree. 

I actually did an hour long podcast once about Ogbuehi with Matt Waldman pre draft long story short he's got all the physical skills needed but no idea about technique. He's gotten better over the years but he's still not good 

Yeah and Tomlinson came out of that same draft & he wasn't exactly an early bloomer himself, seeing how SF was able to pick him up for a 5th rounder. 

Also of note, a year after trading for him SF declined his 5th year option as well (then $9MM). Granted he wasn't a LT, but SF ended up re-signing him for $5.5MM/year like a month after declining that option year. That was a below-market starting guard contract back then, too.

They all should get better with experience, as long as they haven't been permanently damaged. For some that improvement is more obvious than for the few who started out more or less awesome right away.

• Upvote 1