Roster Update April 30 - After Draft and UDFAs

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Some players that better be locked in coming to camp. There are cheaper options coming to camp… all they have to do is to perform close to how you perform and you’re cut. You have 2-3 year head start on these young men. No reason you can’t ball out this year.

Players are coming for your paycheck. No one wants to work a 9-5 for $15/hr. Get Hungry!

S- Ashtyn Davis

CB- Justin Hardee, Bryce Hall

LB- Hamsah Nasirildeen, Jamie Sherwood, Chaz Suratt, 

Edge- Bradley Anae

OL- Chris Glaser, Adam Pankey, Greg Senat

WR- Mims, Charles, Spencer, Taylor

RB- Carter, Bam

QB- no need to mention as we all know this name.

I would add Uzomah to the list.  Maybe trade for a 2024 6 or 7.  Cap implications make him hard to cut, but he was used primarily as a blocker last year.  Ruckert can probably step into that role this year.  Other than that, we would probably need to carry 4 TEs.

Also Carter Warren makes Ogbuehi expendable.  And Schweitzer or Colon could be on the roster bubble after signing McGovern and drafting Tippman.

• Upvote 3

Some guys I'm really looking forward to coming in hungry this year to earn playing time:  Adams at S, Sherwood and Nasirildeen at LB, and Ruckert at TE.  Would love to see them all force Saleh's hand and fight their way onto the field.  Especially Adams who looked pretty damn good late in the season.  One of the LBs stepping up would be huge for the depth chart going forward as well.

Ruckert will have the hardest time, considering the depth chart and guys in front of him, but all it takes is clicking with AR in training camp, to the point where Rodgers feels comfortable throwing him the ball.  If that happens, you make room for him....simple as that.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

We’re a Nathan Shepherd replacement away from a complete roster. There are some areas you’d like to be better, but an argument can be made that they have 7 guys who are top 10 players at their respective positions, with the rotation at EDGE making up for the lack on one specific guy.

• QB Aaron Rodgers 
• RB Breece Hall
• WR Garrett Wilson 
• RG Alijah Vera-Tucker 
• DL Quinnen Williams 
• LB CJ Mosley 
• CB Sauce Gardner 

Tackle is the one hit-or-miss position. Mekhi has the talent to be special, but has never stayed healthy having missed 36-of-50 possible games. Brown is an unfair evaluation because he played through an injury that should’ve held him out for 4-6 months that he opted to play through. If by some miracle Mekhi stays healthy, this offensive line will be fine; there’s enough depth to make up for a few losses, and Aaron Rodgers will certainly make up for some deficiencies. I’m hoping Mekhi’s lifestyle changes will be enough to ensure that because without him, there are no tackles that can be dominant on our roster

I was hoping we might find at least a project DT in the UDFA market to take a flyer on.  Agreed that is the largest remaining hole, with FS and Will (Kwon) being the others that could be one injury away from real trouble.  But overall, when you look back at the roster 5 years ago, it's laughable how hard we worked to convince ourselves it was competitive then.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I was hoping we might find at least a project DT in the UDFA market to take a flyer on.  Agreed that is the largest remaining hole, with FS and Will (Kwon) being the others that could be one injury away from real trouble.  But overall, when you look back at the roster 5 years ago, it's laughable how hard we worked to convince ourselves it was competitive then.  

I think part of the reason why they won’t just invest in a developmental guy is because they only have so much room. Absent injury they’re very unlikely to carry a guy on the final roster, so why dish out money there as opposed to other positions where you very well could find someone to seize a role on the team (i.e. LB or WR)? 

They kind of have a hunch they’re going to sign someone, probably Al Woods. And if not him, there’s plenty of really solid DTs available who deserve to be on NFL rosters: Poona Ford, Matt Ioannidis, Chris Wormley just to name 3. 

As far as S and LB, they’re not super value positions for us because what the Jets ask out of them is fairly simple and specific; they basically want guys who can be where they want them when they want them and avoid mistakes, so I think they’re happy with Clark and Whitehead, with Parks, Adams, Davis, and JBC competing for the backup spots. I’m also getting the sense Kwon is not in the plan at LB. Sherwood is in year 3 and we know they really like him; it sounds like they are cautiously optimistic he’s going to seize the job while acknowledging they have some upside in Nasirildeen, Surratt, and now Barnes who can give him a run for his money. Not much different from the treatment Azeez Al-Shaair got with SF prior to his promotion 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Some players that better be locked in coming to camp. There are cheaper options coming to camp… all they have to do is to perform close to how you perform and you’re cut. You have 2-3 year head start on these young men. No reason you can’t ball out this year.

Players are coming for your paycheck. No one wants to work a 9-5 for $15/hr. Get Hungry!

S- Ashtyn Davis

Edge- Bradley Anae

RB- Carter, Bam

There is no way that Wilson is getting cut.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I would add Uzomah to the list.  Maybe trade for a 2024 6 or 7.  Cap implications make him hard to cut, but he was used primarily as a blocker last year.  Ruckert can probably step into that role this year.  Other than that, we would probably need to carry 4 TEs.

Also Carter Warren makes Ogbuehi expendable.  And Schweitzer or Colon could be on the roster bubble after signing McGovern and drafting Tippman.

I’m really expecting Ruckert to take a leap as our top TE.  I’d love to get a pick for uzomah.

if Tippmann is our starter, I don’t see McGovern making the team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

S- Ashtyn Davis

Edge- Bradley Anae

RB- Carter, Bam

Assuming we are not talking about PS here, but roster, I would say:

S- Ashtyn Daviis - likely, drafted CB is likely a lot better; there are plenty of newbies that can play ST as well.

CB- Justin Harden, Bryce Hall - not sure we are ready to replace 1 or 2 of these guys. Converse is likely going S, maybe play both positions, but not likely enough to replace one or both.

LB - Barnes may or may not stick; doubt he can push anyone but Suratt out the door.

OL - Yeah, we will probably loose 2 or even 3 of these guys. That will depend, of course, if Max and Becton can come back.

WR - Yep, with the FA signings, I would expect at least a couple of these to go. Mims was starting to play better towards the end of the season. He played hard and tough and was on specials. He might actually benefit from both Rodgers and Hackett as he fits into the gunslinger/big arm model way more than he did in the SF control offense. 

RB - there has already been a lot of talk about MC and Bam is likely safe as well. He played pretty well when given the chance, plays specials, and is cheap. We probably keep 4 or 5, so I think Bam is safe; can't wait to see 

QB - really; with a 20 million cap hit, they are not cutting him; they are not likely trading. him either... I know everyone here loves to hate on him, but here is here at least another year. Also, as bad as the OC and OL was last year, not sure how you can keep trashing a 2nd year QB who showed improvement in his first year with better coaching. Also, ZW fits much better into Hackett's system than LaPuke's system and he has similar skills to that of AR (similar - don't freak). We are paying him 4 million this year - which is about what you would pay for most backup QBs - and it is possible that ZW will learn an awful lot from AR. Look at Geno. So, no way they eat 20 million, signs a veteran QB and/or promote the other 2 to number 2. The new UDFA is training camp fodder at this point, nothing more..

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

The veteran DT makes sense. That role's going to be more plugging things up, presumably. A rookie isn't going to come in and have the strength/technique to do that better than a veteran would, and they're choosing to develop in other areas. Not an expensive position to fill. They're trying to win now. Seems pretty reasonable.

JFM is likely moving inside 'permanently' - They said that he was much more effective inside anyway. They may ending picking up another DT via FA or Trade (can probably trade Edge).

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

QB - really; with a 20 million cap hit, they are not cutting him; they are not likely trading. him either... I know everyone here loves to hate on him, but here is here at least another year. Also, as bad as the OC and OL was last year, not sure how you can keep trashing a 2nd year QB who showed improvement in his first year with better coaching. Also, ZW fits much better into Hackett's system than LaPuke's system and he has similar skills to that of AR (similar - don't freak). We are paying him 4 million this year - which is about what you would pay for most backup QBs - and it is possible that ZW will learn an awful lot from AR. Look at Geno. So, no way they eat 20 million, signs a veteran QB and/or promote the other 2 to number 2. The new UDFA is training camp fodder at this point, nothing more..

Dude… I was joking about ZW. I am a supporter of his. 
Dont Laugh Oops GIF by Rodney Dangerfield  TOUGH CROWD!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

JFM is likely moving inside 'permanently' - They said that he was much more effective inside anyway. They may ending picking up another DT via FA or Trade (can probably trade Edge).

Bad idea on 1st downs, he’ll get destroyed on running plays. He’s more effective inside on passing plays. 

12 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Bad idea on 1st downs, he’ll get destroyed on running plays. He’s more effective inside on passing plays. 

Or, they sign someone to play inside on obvious running plays, and keep JFM fresh for passing; again, if Jets are up with a big lead or they are just up in the 4th against a playoff team, you want Douglas on Edge and JFM inside - just pin ears back and attack the QB when the running game isn't an option anymore.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I believe you'll be seeing Randall Cobb part of the Jets receiver room in 2023.

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Or, they sign someone to play inside on obvious running plays, and keep JFM fresh for passing; again, if Jets are up with a big lead or they are just up in the 4th against a playoff team, you want Douglas on Edge and JFM inside - just pin ears back and attack the QB when the running game isn't an option anymore.

Whose Douglas?

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

This is one of the best Jets rosters in the past 50 years.

Rodgers puts it over 2010, 1998 and the mid 1980’s teams

Yeah, I don’t agree. The 2010 Jets roster was significantly better at offensive line, wide receiver and overall defense. Beat prime Brady and Peyton on the road, doubt it would lose to this team. 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

We’re a Nathan Shepherd replacement away from a complete roster. There are some areas you’d like to be better, but an argument can be made that they have 7 guys who are top 10 players at their respective positions, with the rotation at EDGE making up for the lack on one specific guy.

• QB Aaron Rodgers 
• RB Breece Hall
• WR Garrett Wilson 
• RG Alijah Vera-Tucker 
• DL Quinnen Williams 
• LB CJ Mosley 
• CB Sauce Gardner 

Tackle is the one hit-or-miss position. Mekhi has the talent to be special, but has never stayed healthy having missed 36-of-50 possible games. Brown is an unfair evaluation because he played through an injury that should’ve held him out for 4-6 months that he opted to play through. If by some miracle Mekhi stays healthy, this offensive line will be fine; there’s enough depth to make up for a few losses, and Aaron Rodgers will certainly make up for some deficiencies. I’m hoping Mekhi’s lifestyle changes will be enough to ensure that because without him, there are no tackles that can be dominant on our roster

Hall definitely has talent, but tough to dub a guy top-10 based entirely on 3 big games when yet to play even half a season.  There's most definitely upside there, but it's still an unfortunate question of whether he can maintain it.

Mosley these days is far more hype and money than on-field ability.  He's only still on the roster because of JD's sunk cost fallacy surrounding his own terrible contract decision last year, and the overall lack of effort at the position.

With that said, there's definitely some serious talent in those other guys and a lot of the questions can definitely come down to whether any of the other young depth can start having their own breakout years (to your point, Becton being ideal, if even possible).

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

The udfa DT that they signed from Pitt sounds like a player.   Slightly undersized like JFM but maybe he packs on some more weight to play the position.

I don’t know anything about Fordham Qb invited to camp even though I listened to parts of some of Rams games on radio last season. But John Skelton was a Fordham QB drafted in 5th round in 2010 by Cardinals and played a few seasons with them and other teams. 

16 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Yeah, I don’t agree. The 2010 Jets roster was significantly better at offensive line, wide receiver and overall defense. Beat prime Brady and Peyton on the road, doubt it would lose to this team. 

You re basing that assessment on last years team.   We have no idea how these uoung players grow from yrs 1 and 2 or how much the rookies will contribute.  

If Rodgers is back to playing at an MVP level then this years team is better than Sanchez or Vinnys teams regardless IMO.

• Upvote 2