Report: Jets Agree to Trade Zach Wilson This Offseason

JetNation

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I would say mothball him until the offseason, so that the most recent memory (for trade value purposes) is of him "dealing" vs the Texans' D.

They're probably not beating Miami, and even if they finish 9-8, their probability of making the playoffs is something like 14%.

I've said this a couple of times, but the possibility of making the playoffs is essentially less than 0% (@Joe W. Namath). Not only do they have to win out (that includes the Patriots), There are 5 teams that would have to lose at least 2 games each over the next 4 weeks just for the Jets to even have a shot at a tiebreaker. Even then, it's a low chance.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Fair points.  I stated my case poorly.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is:  If Zach plays great to the end of the season, then teams will be asking themselves which is the real Zach Wilson?

Is Zach the guy who played like sh*t for the first 2.5 years, or is he now the guy who is playing great the last 5 games of the season?

If he plays like garbage going forward, then I feel it will be easy to unload him, since the expectations will be low.  If he plays great, then it will be harder for JD and other teams to determine what the real value is for Zach.  That's when there will be more differences of opinions.  Other teams if they want Zach, will argue that Zach is more like the first 2.5 years, and fight to give up little, and JD will say that Zach has developed into the player that he is now portraying, and will hold back for more.

Before the Houston game, I think it is safe to say that there was universal agreement that Zach was not worth much.  Easy to unload, for a low draft pick.  Now, I'm not so sure, depending on how he finishes the year.

Jimmy G had 5 starts with the 49ers before they signed him to IIRC the biggest contract in the NFL.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00/gamelog/2017/image.thumb.png.ea04580155fe933a067caa87af3536bb.png

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

I've said this a couple of times, but the possibility of making the playoffs is essentially less than 0% (@Joe W. Namath). Not only do they have to win out (that includes the Patriots), There are 5 teams that would have to lose at least 2 games each over the next 4 weeks just for the Jets to even have a shot at a tiebreaker. Even then, it's a low chance.

Apparently there are scenarios where we can even be 5th seed but I futzed with the playoff simulator for quite a while and could not find a single way for the Jets to get in. The 7 and 6 teams play each other a lot. Us getting in is ultra obscure

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He was done after Jacksonville last year. Glazer said he was done as a Jet. Then the Jets brought him back. Anything is possible with this arrangement. Zach’s not accepting a trade to Buffalo or somewhere like that. 

EXACTLY.... huge mistake. Had the Jets manned the fck up and cut him loose and signed a proper back up -- we're competing for playoff seeding.

Thank you for making my point. 

• Upvote 1

• QB is the most in demand position in professional sports.  If Zach Wilson looks good at the end of the season, someone will trade for him.  At most, he will cost $5.4mm in assumed salary.  
  • If Zach continues to play well, someone will trade for him.  QBs are too valuable, as per above, and teams will assume that the Jets are inept and mismanaged him (which is true).  
  • I think it comes down to what the Jets can get for Zach Wilson.  I can see him sticking around unless they really promised to trade him.  
  • If the Jets are for real in 2024 they need a real backup QB.  This is what some of the better backup QBs are paid:  Brissett ($7.5mm), Heinicke ($6.32mm), Trubisky ($6.9mm), Tyrod Taylor ($8.2mm), Stidham ($5mm), Dalton $9mm).
  • So, assuming someone would trade for Zach, the trade essentially would be to get another team to assume his $5.4mm salary and get a draft pick, and basically take that savings and spend it on another QB.  
  • If the Jets traded Zach this season, two years of bonus would have been accelerated, so that move would have been cap negative in 2023 (even though they would have unloaded the obligation to pay him 2023 and 2024.
  • Zach Wilson has looked inept, but he has also won several games for the Jets this year, against some tough teams.  That is what a backup QB is supposed to do.  By trading Zach away, they end up probably behind from a cap perspective and get a player new to the system, but potentially get a draft pick they otherwise would not get.  I think that ultimately is what decides this-what kind of pick do they get?  That is only if they have a choice and did not make a binding deal.  
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • QB is the most in demand position in professional sports.  If Zach Wilson looks good at the end of the season, someone will trade for him.  At most, he will cost $5.4mm in assumed salary.  
  • If Zach continues to play well, someone will trade for him.  QBs are too valuable, as per above, and teams will assume that the Jets are inept and mismanaged him (which is true).  
  • I think it comes down to what the Jets can get for Zach Wilson.  I can see him sticking around unless they really promised to trade him.  
  • If the Jets are for real in 2024 they need a real backup QB.  This is what some of the better backup QBs are paid:  Brissett ($7.5mm), Heinicke ($6.32mm), Trubisky ($6.9mm), Tyrod Taylor ($8.2mm), Stidham ($5mm), Dalton $9mm).
  • So, assuming someone would trade for Zach, the trade essentially would be to get another team to assume his $5.4mm salary and get a draft pick, and basically take that savings and spend it on another QB.  
  • If the Jets traded Zach this season, two years of bonus would have been accelerated, so that move would have been cap negative in 2023 (even though they would have unloaded the obligation to pay him 2023 and 2024.
  • Zach Wilson has looked inept, but he has also won several games for the Jets this year, against some tough teams.  That is what a backup QB is supposed to do.  By trading Zach away, they end up probably behind from a cap perspective and get a player new to the system, but potentially get a draft pick they otherwise would not get.  I think that ultimately is what decides this-what kind of pick do they get?  That is only if they have a choice and did not make a binding deal.  

If Zach plays well for the rest of the year they won't be able to find a better back-up for the money.  5.4 Million for a back-up that knows the system is pretty good.  The problem for Zach is that the timing doesn't work for him.  Even if he plays fantastic the rest of the way this year he won't see the field next year unless Rodgers goes down again.  And there's no way they will pick up the 5th year option without seeing Zach play at all in 2024.  I like Zach but there's no way they will keep him, and besides, he'd rather be somewhere else if given the chance.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

And there's no way they will pick up the 5th year option without seeing Zach play at all in 2024. 

The Jets need to decide on the 5th year option for Zach this offseason.  And AVT. 

If he walks at the end of 2024 the Jets likely get an end of 3rd round draft pick in 2025.  That is the floor. A pick in 2024 will help more 

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Dude.... cmon

This the same guy who went for a 3 game stretch without scoring a TD - who RESET nfl records in offensive ineptitude. Even he plays well enough to win a few more games, there's too much bad tape do this all over again with him next year. That's just reckless management. We're not extending/resigning him. That's a fantasy, he either plays so bad that we're not interested, or he plays so well that he's going to want big money elsewhere

ZW is done in NY. 

I hate to agree with you here, but I think you are right!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hex said:

How could you not trust a H.C with the initials B.S.?

Saleh has finally come around to see the situation for what it is and hates Zach Wilson's guts.

When ZW is officially out the door, BS will salute him with the same sort of platitudes continually offered up verbatim, during his first days on the job, in defense of Samuel Darnold.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 4:13 PM, WestCoastMole said:

They also said that CJ Stroud would put on a QB Clinic as the Texans stomped the Jets.

We see how well that turned out.

I don't care what the so-called experts think.

I never voiced that sort of opinion / prediction about the Texans game.

The Texans had just lost Tank Dell for the season, lost WR1 Nico Collins in-game, and the Jet DL vs Texan OL was a complete mismatch.

I didn't foresee Zach Wilson looking competent, but still thought it was a winnable game for the Jets.