Aaron Rodgers Still Wants To Come Back And Play This Season

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Going to admit that the negatives are #PilingUp

The level of belief required here to even entertain the thought things will Be better next season here is well beyond any sort of reason. It’s ok if you’re a grown  person that tells your kids Santa is real and will bring presents and eat the cookies and drink the  milk. This is more like living alone and setting your house on fire handcuffing yourself to the bannister Christmas Eve because you believe Santa and his reindeer will land on your roof and save you. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The level of belief required here to even entertain the thought things will Be better next season here is well beyond any sort of reason. It’s ok if you’re a grown  person that tells your kids Santa is real and will bring presents and eat the cookies and drink the  milk. This is more like living alone and setting your house on fire handcuffing yourself to the bannister Christmas Eve because you believe Santa and his reindeer will land on your roof and save you. 

They’ll be better by virtue of Zach Wilson not being on the team, serving as a living, breathing example of merit and accountability not existing inside Florham Park, and the corrections that Douglas has to make are pretty self-evident and achievable. However, it’s going to come down whether or not Douglas has the spine to hold off Woody and Saleh has the spine to hold off Rodgers this offseason so they can get the necessary work done.

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Hard to believe, but it sure seems like all the stuff about coming back was just a bunch of attention-seeking garbage from a notorious narcissist

I am truly shocked yet this has turned out to be the most likely outcome. Truly shocked.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What does it say about us that like half the board is going to fall into the handcuffing to the bannister category?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Hard to believe, but it sure seems like all the stuff about coming back was just a bunch of attention-seeking garbage from a notorious narcissist

I think this is a case where it makes sense to listen to the whole interview. He was talking about all the steps he had gone through and that he hadn't done 11 on 11's yet. If they had beat the Fins his plan was to push hard this week to do 11 on 11's and to try and get cleared and play even if he's not 100%.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’ll be better by virtue of Zach Wilson not being on the team, serving as a living, breathing example of merit and accountability not existing inside Florham Park, and the corrections that Douglas has to make are pretty self-evident and achievable. However, it’s going to come down whether or not Douglas has the spine to hold off Woody and Saleh has the spine to hold off Rodgers this offseason so they can get the necessary work done.

It took Douglas four offseasons to build an OL with one capable player (who has ended the last two years on IR) so naturally he’ll be able to patch up the other three to four spots in one offseason with limited assets.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let me know if Woody is firing Saleh and Douglas.  If that doesn't happen is Hackett getting fired by Saleh?  Is Lazzard getting cut for mailing it in this year?  

Trading Zach because he wants out of a clown show isn't accountability.  It's not even virtue signalling to the fans who hate Zach.  It's very similiar to Lefluer leaving last year.  It's scapegoating so that Woody can still collect tickets, parking and consessions and give the fans a receipt.  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

the corrections that Douglas has to make are pretty self-evident and achievable. 

Based on what? The needs on offensive line alone have been self-evident four offseasons and haven't come close to getting achieved, to say nothing of receiver, safety, linebacker, and QB2. To top it off, we're walking into an offseason with limited cap space and down a second round pick.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

it’s going to come down whether or not Douglas has the spine to hold off Woody and Saleh has the spine to hold off Rodgers this offseason so they can get the necessary work done.

This question has already been answered, definitively and disastrously.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is a case where it makes sense to listen to the whole interview. He was talking about all the steps he had gone through and that he hadn't done 11 on 11's yet. If they had beat the Fins his plan was to push hard this week to do 11 on 11's and to try and get cleared and play even if he's not 100%.

Pure dedication from a selfless warrior in the bushido tradition

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

it’s going to come down whether or not Douglas has the spine to hold off Woody and Saleh has the spine to hold off Rodgers this offseason so they can get the necessary work done.

This is already starting, btw:

Just as "I don't want 2024 to be my last year" is code for "you better not draft a QB in the 1st," this is code for "I'll make it known to the media if you don't sign the guys I want, and you don't have the cachet to survive that." There's zero chance that Woody, Douglas, Saleh, or anyone else in the organization has either the brains to outmaneuver this or the balls to outright shut it down. This is a 7-10 operation next year.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, derp said:

It took Douglas four offseasons to build an OL with one capable player (who has ended the last two years on IR) so naturally he’ll be able to patch up the other three to four spots in one offseason with limited assets.

Get Alt/Fasanu, Tippman, AVT, plug the other two holes and hope having a functional QB makes the difference. Imagine how easy it is to draw up a defensive game plan against a QB as bad as Zach Wilson. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s ok Santa is coming .HoHoHo 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Let me know if Woody is firing Saleh and Douglas.  If that doesn't happen is Hackett getting fired by Saleh?  Is Lazzard getting cut for mailing it in this year?  

Trading Zach because he wants out of a clown show isn't accountability.  It's not even virtue signalling to the fans who hate Zach.  It's very similiar to Lefluer leaving last year.  It's scapegoating so that Woody can still collect tickets, parking and consessions and give the fans a receipt.  

Zach Wilson is the nepotism hire in your company who walks into a middle management job, is an immediate and unqualified disaster, but no one can touch him because he’s protected from on high. His mere presence erodes trust in leadership and makes it virtually impossible to hold anyone else accountable without looking like massive hypocrites. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson is the nepotism hire in your company who walks into a middle management job, is an immediate and unqualified disaster, but no one can touch him because he’s protected from on high. His mere presence erodes trust in leadership and makes it virtually impossible to hold anyone else accountable without looking like massive hypocrites. 

Haha, GFY T0m! No way!!!

78DE13E6-14AC-4B68-8CDE-38EDC7917025.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You're talking about Woody.  Zach is a backup QB who JD and Saleh could have designated as the third QB.  From the POV of the Jets as a company Zach is equivelent to the guy sweeping the floor.  He's completely irrelevant to the teams success or failure.  

The Jets are likely to sell for 20X what Woody bought them for and a multiple of earnings that would make most private equity companies who got their tax advice from Jeffrey Epstein scream with envy.  From a company POV Zach is irrelevant.  Bad analogy although the fact that Winning and lossing is irrelevant to income and value is at play here.  The neopotism is the money Woody inherited to become an NFL owner and a guy who was able to buy an Ambasodorship in spite of the fact that he was cought cheating on his taxes by the IRS and found guilty. 

46 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why do that when you can carve out what you perceive to be a damning quote and complain about it? 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Get Alt/Fasanu, Tippman, AVT, plug the other two holes and hope having a functional QB makes the difference. Imagine how easy it is to draw up a defensive game plan against a QB as bad as Zach Wilson. 

That plan requires a) losing enough of the remaining games that Alt/Fashanu is available b) Alt/Fashanu being capable of making a day one impact c) Tippmann progressing in year two d) AVT staying healthy for the first time in three years e) the architect of the group that needs all of this help to find a way to successfully plug the other two holes when he’s shown and inability to do that for four years and f) that the quarterback who lasted 3 snaps behind an OL assembled by aforementioned GM can elevate the group for a whole season.

Consider me skeptical that all of that happens.

Let’s also note that even if all of that goes well OL continuity is a huge predictor of success and that seems to be out the window - for good reason.

I know the thing is that Wilson is terrible, and you know I’m not a Wilson guy, but the idea is that the team around him being competent really drives how bad he is home. I think his awfulness can stand alone. Him being terrible and the team being a disaster aren’t mutually exclusive. Next year is going to be spectacularly bad.

I’m pretty convinced the only reason everybody isn’t getting fired is that Douglas getting the last year of his deal coincides with giving the Rodgers experiment a shot. Woody doesn’t have to pay any extra money and gets to say that he didn’t rush to fire Douglas and let the whole thing play out but it’s evident he’s not the guy. And he can hope Rodgers sideshow sells some tickets before everybody skips town.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is already starting, btw:

Just as "I don't want 2024 to be my last year" is code for "you better not draft a QB in the 1st," this is code for "I'll make it known to the media if you don't sign the guys I want, and you don't have the cachet to survive that." There's zero chance that Woody, Douglas, Saleh, or anyone else in the organization has either the brains to outmaneuver this or the balls to outright shut it down. This is a 7-10 operation next year.

1. They were never drafting a QB in the first, and that was true whether Rodgers was here or not. Neither Douglas nor Saleh have the time to start over. 

2. The canary in this coal mine will be Bakhtiari. Washed up malcontent Friend Of Rodgers who doesn’t want to play on turf. If the Jets even sniff this signing, may as well start digging the graves. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is AVT going to stay healthy? 

One of the worst aspects about JD’s tenure here is that the best OL he has drafted hasn’t finished a season in his first three years in the league. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Is AVT going to stay healthy? 

One of the worst aspects about JD’s tenure here is that the best OL he has drafted hasn’t finished a season in his first three years in the league. 

That has been his teams biggest downfall. Is the GM at fault for guys who didn't have a previous injury history getting injured? Or is it just bad luck?

I believe it's just bad luck but I don't think everyone agrees.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn't we trade for Aaron Rodgers to replace him after his 2nd year?  And didn't our owner, GM and HC all say that all we needed was a QB?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, derp said:

That plan requires a) losing enough of the remaining games that Alt/Fashanu is available b) Alt/Fashanu being capable of making a day one impact c) Tippmann progressing in year two d) AVT staying healthy for the first time in three years e) the architect of the group that needs all of this help to find a way to successfully plug the other two holes when he’s shown and inability to do that for four years and f) that the quarterback who lasted 3 snaps behind an OL assembled by aforementioned GM can elevate the group for a whole season.

Consider me skeptical that all of that happens.

Let’s also note that even if all of that goes well OL continuity is a huge predictor of success and that seems to be out the window - for good reason.

I know the thing is that Wilson is terrible, and you know I’m not a Wilson guy, but the idea is that the team around him being competent really drives how bad he is home. I think his awfulness can stand alone. Him being terrible and the team being a disaster aren’t mutually exclusive. Next year is going to be spectacularly bad.

I’m pretty convinced the only reason everybody isn’t getting fired is that Douglas getting the last year of his deal coincides with giving the Rodgers experiment a shot. Woody doesn’t have to pay any extra money and gets to say that he didn’t rush to fire Douglas and let the whole thing play out but it’s evident he’s not the guy. And he can hope Rodgers sideshow sells some tickets before everybody skips town.

I think next year is *likely* to be underwhelming and there will likely be a house-cleaning because they drafted Wilson, which led to cascading problems that resulted in selling their soul for Rodgers, and now every chip they have left is in Rodgers’ hands. I think if you fired Douglas tomorrow and brought in the Best GM Alive, his plan for this offseason would be the same, however, unless Rodgers retires, which opens up a new set of challenges for the new GM. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That has been his teams biggest downfall. Is the GM at fault for guys who didn't have a previous injury history getting injured? Or is it just bad luck?

I believe it's just bad luck but I don't think everyone agrees.

Oh, I definitely don’t blame JD for that - how could you ? It’s just typical bad jets luck.

but my point is - can we really rely on AVT going forward? My fear is that once guys become injury prone, they are injury prone. Plus, an Achilles tear is a pretty serious injury for a 300 pound guy to recover from. 

I’m just saying that having to rely on penciling in AVT as a one of our 5 OL is a tough spot to be in. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think next year is *likely* to be underwhelming and there will likely be a house-cleaning because they drafted Wilson, which led to cascading problems that resulted in selling their soul for Rodgers, and now every chip they have left is in Rodgers’ hands. I think if you fired Douglas tomorrow and brought in the Best GM Alive, his plan for this offseason would be the same, however, unless Rodgers retires, which opens up a new set of challenges for the new GM. 

With the caveas that either 1) they draft a qb somehow in 2024 as a hedge so that when rodgers is out for the year they have something to play for to save their jobs, or 2) the plan actually worked, they fix the OL and make the playoffs and run it back in 2025 and then draft the qb successor.  

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think best GM alive burns most of this to the ground and starts fresh instead of trying to ensure a 40 going on 41 year old QB can survive and chase success he won’t find. 

Best case people get fired, he gets mad, requests a trade, and some team lets the Jets recoup a little of the capital they gave up (obviously they won’t get it all). Won’t happen though.

Would just add a lot more has gone wrong than just the Wilson pick. Multiple high draft picks and expensive free agents. Most of each, even.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I think best GM alive burns most of this to the ground and starts fresh instead of trying to ensure a 40 going on 41 year old QB can survive and chase success he won’t find. 

Best case people get fired, he gets mad, requests a trade, and some team lets the Jets recoup a little of the capital they gave up (obviously they won’t get it all). Won’t happen though.

Would just add a lot more has gone wrong than just the Wilson pick. Multiple high draft picks and expensive free agents. Most of each, even.

I disagree.  I think an objective gm comes in and reallocates resources to fix the OL and start developing qbs to put into a system with a good defense.  The problem is this gm can’t draft qbs or OL

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I disagree.  I think an objective gm comes in and reallocates resources to fix the OL and start developing qbs to put into a system with a good defense.  The problem is this gm can’t draft qbs or OL

I’d argue one person’s reallocation of resources and trying to develop a young quarterback might be another person’s taking the team mostly down to the studs and starting fresh.

Especially when the team doesn’t have a lot of resources who aren’t existing players on the roster to reallocate and will be paying for the 2023 roster with cap space from the next few years.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson was probably on the roster (and QB2) because of this contract, not because of anything akin to "nepotism"