JetNation Prospect Profile: Boston College OL Christian Mahogany

Christian-Mahogany.jpg

Continuing to profile potential New York Jets choices in the upcoming NFL draft, we take a look at Boston College offensive lineman Christian Mahogany.

Name: Christian Mahogany

Position: Guard, Boston College #73

Height: 6′ 3” 

Weight: 322

Hometown: Elmwood Park, NJ

High School: Paramus Catholic

Class/Age: Graduate, 23-years-old

Recruit: 3 stars (Rivals)

Film Study

Games Watched: Louisville (2023), Miami (2023), Clemson (2021)

Balance: Rarely caught off balance and those instances can be corrected with pro coaching.

Pass Protection: Does a nice job of mirroring rushers and shows excellent awareness in seamlessly picking up stunts/blitzes.  Allowed just four sacks on 1,225 pass pro reps at BC.

pic.twitter.com/uwew7qKD8E

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) February 29, 2024

Run Blocking: Shows off top end strength in being able to move the pile or open running lanes.

Lateral Mobility/Athleticism: Better than one might expect for a man of his size.

Point of Attack Power: Outstanding at the point.  Routinely stops defenders in their tracks and puts them where he wants them.

Hands: As one would expect from comments above, shows great hands/grip strength.

Anchor: Rarely loses ground and has little difficulty dropping his anchor when needed.

Strength: The strength immediately jumps out on film.  No issues here at all.

Teams looking for a powerful interior lineman should be watching @BCFootball RG Christian Mahogany. A mauler in the middle who should be opening running lanes for years to come.

Does a nice job of displacing the DL and getting a second level block with the RB right behind him. pic.twitter.com/4zldhoFAYg

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) February 29, 2024

Size: Big man with well proportioned frame and thick lower half.

Versatility: Will likely play RG as a pro but ability to move and power could get him a look at RT.

Notes:

Missed all of 2022 with torn ACL and bounced back to play 12 games last season.

Invited to East/West Shrine game where he onlookers had plenty of praise.

Boston College OG Christian Mahogany is one of the top prospects at the Shrine Bowl this year and it shows so far in practice.

Power for days. Consistently controlling and moving guys in drills.

— Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) January 27, 2024

Summary:

With as many needs as the Jets have on the OL, taking a look at another Jersey kid in the mid rounds could pay off.  Likely a round 3 or 4 player.

For more player profiles just click here.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Boston College OL Christian Mahogany appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Stopped reading when i saw he tore his acl

this would be like getting a good deal on a used car because it was in a flood hard pass

If you are passing on every guy that had an ACL tear in college you are unnecessarily limiting your draft pool.  Didn't this guy already put in a full season since then?

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you are passing on every guy that had an ACL tear in college you are unnecessarily limiting your draft pool.  Didn't this guy already put in a full season since then?

So be it

look 3 years ago i went house hunting. Found a great one priced right. In the back corner there was a metal piece in the block wall that went down into the ground. I said, uh-oh took a picture and sure enough it turned out to be minor sinkhole repair.. 

hard pass!

This is what I want in this draft, does not have to be this player in particular but i want a big stout true guard.   No I do not want to draft a center and move him to guard, no I do not want to draft a tackle and then ship him to guard when he cant cut it at tackle.

Draft a damn true guard!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yup.  He played all 12 games last year.  Based on that I'd use a mid-rounder on him.  If there was talk of him being a top 50 guy with an ACL history I'd probably say no.  But as you said, your board is going to be awfully thin if you take off every guy who had an injury.

And look at how great it worked out for the Jets drafting guys with no injury histories in AVT, Becton, Mitchell and Cam Clark.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is what I want in this draft, does not have to be this player in particular but i want a big stout true guard.   No I do not want to draft a center and move him to guard, no I do not want to draft a tackle and then ship him to guard when he cant cut it at tackle.

Draft a damn true guard!

I don't know if there is such a thing.  I think a ton of the top guards played T in college.  Where I agree with you is to draft a guy you see as a guard to play guard and a guy you see as a tackle to play tackle.  I think that is going to be more important if they start thinking Fuaga at 10.  If they are planning to play him at RT or LT they had better be ******* sure and not just thinking "Oh if he can't cut it we will just slide him inside to guard."  That is what I have been saying about having a plan on offensive line.  They either haven't had one or I have not understood it since Callahan left.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know if there is such a thing.  I think a ton of the top guards played T in college.  Where I agree with you is to draft a guy you see as a guard to play guard and a guy you see as a tackle to play tackle.  I think that is going to be more important if they start thinking Fuaga at 10.  If they are planning to play him at RT or LT they had better be ******* sure and not just thinking "Oh if he can't cut it we will just slide him inside to guard."  That is what I have been saying about having a plan on offensive line.  They either haven't had one or I have not understood it since Callahan left.

Look at a guy like Mitchell?  Tackle, totally unsuitable to be a guard.

A lot of tackles are taller and lighter than guards.  Some tackles can make the transition, alot are shoehorned into guard when they fail at tackle.

• Upvote 2

Draft is deep in decent oline prospects into round 6. 

Even guys like Trente Jones and Mathew Jones could end up being decent starters

I love karsen Barnhart from Michigan, he can play 4 positions on the oline all equally well. He is a potential later day 3 steal

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Stopped reading when i saw he tore his acl

this would be like getting a good deal on a used car because it was in a flood hard pass

Wow what a bad take.

Anyway, as somone who went to BC and watches most of their games, Mahogany would be a solid pick in the 3rd round and an absolute homerun in the 4th.  He is a day 1 starter with experience at both guard spots.  Size and strength is already at an NFL level, may need to work on his speed and flexibility a little esp in a zone system.  Also a team leader.

Personally I have the 180 degree opposite view of High Pitch.  Anytime. you can get a guy who was a consensus 2nd round pick in the 3rd or 4th due to a fixable injury its usually a great move.  On top of that, Mahogany already played a full season after the injury and was injured in the summer so he had a full season to recover and THEN played a full season.  

Steal in the 4th if we could get him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Wow what a bad take.

Anyway, as somone who went to BC and watches most of their games, Mahogany would be a solid pick in the 3rd round and an absolute homerun in the 4th.  He is a day 1 starter with experience at both guard spots.  Size and strength is already at an NFL level, may need to work on his speed and flexibility a little esp in a zone system.  Also a team leader.

Personally I have the 180 degree opposite view of High Pitch.  Anytime. you can get a guy who was a consensus 2nd round pick in the 3rd or 4th due to a fixable injury its usually a great move.  On top of that, Mahogany already played a full season after the injury and was injured in the summer so he had a full season to recover and THEN played a full season.  

Steal in the 4th if we could get him.

ok thats fair i just see it the other way around.

Hes weak. He is injury prone. If 20 others were in the same accident, maybe only 4 would have torn their acl while the other 16 would have limped away and felt better in a few days. The best ability is availability and this is the jets were talking about. There are others to consider that never had an acl tear so why adpot a dog with only 2 legs? so you can watch him hobble about the living room floor drooling desperately tryi ng to get through the doggy door to take a dump? Nahh Ill pass. Also, other must agree with me being that  he was supposed to be a 2nd rounder but surprise surprise he is now a 4th rounder. sorry it matters to me

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What is that crap in his nose ? PASS .

This guy gets it.

im looking for a jeep. A beater on the cheap just to ride around with no doors or top…. By no means a daily driver. Found a sweet deal on one. The guy starts telling the new stuff that was done. One thing he mentioned was new rod bearings. Rod bearings? Most of you board dummies have no clue but thats a very uncommon item and it requires an engine tear down

HARD PASS. Its the same thing! 

In a week or 3 ill find one for the same price with an engine that was never cracked open

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

ok thats fair i just see it the other way around.

Hes weak. He is injury prone. If 20 others were in the same accident, maybe only 4 would have torn their acl while the other 16 would have limped away and felt better in a few days. The best ability is availability and this is the jets were talking about. There are others to consider that never had an acl tear so why adpot a dog with only 2 legs? so you can watch him hobble about the living room floor drooling desperately tryi ng to get through the doggy door to take a dump? Nahh Ill pass. Also, other must agree with me being that  he was supposed to be a 2nd rounder but surprise surprise he is now a 4th rounder. sorry it matters to me

Geez, the internet is not great.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Remember when we passed on Anthony Munoz because of concerns about his knee?

Munoz was supposed to be the #1 pick. He went third because of his injury.

Were talking about a guy that might have gone 55 that might fall to 100.

Is this your idea of a reasonable rebuttal?

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Munoz was supposed to be the #1 pick. He went third because of his injury.

Were talking about a guy that might have gone 55 that might fall to 100.

Is this your idea of a reasonable rebuttal?

Yes.

You are making silly comments about buying cars and finding dates and acting like they are reasonable.  Do you see the disconnect?  Knee surgery has come a long way.  The fact that HOF players with long durable careers had knee issues (Munoz, Gore had multiple ACL tears) in college means that writing this guy off is silly. 

They have a medical staff.  They will check him out.  They should.  You believe they have to give him some extra scrutiny because of durability concerns?  Sure, that makes sense.  Taking him off the board?  Silly and wrong.  There was a Maccagnan era study that found that a very high percentage of "good" players found on day 3 were guys who dropped due to injury concerns.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:20 PM, Beerfish said:

If you are women it is height. 14.5% of men in usa are over 6 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:51 PM, HighPitch said:

Guys if you only want to date women that are fit and pretty, youre seriously limiting your dating pool

You must've met my uncle. He brought some around that fit under the "everybody's pretty at closing time" criteria. I lived with him for about a year and man oh man, there was maybe one looker which he dumped, btw. 

The rest were under the bar between Roseanne Barr or Mimi from Drew Carey. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.

You are making silly comments about buying cars and finding dates and acting like they are reasonable.  Do you see the disconnect?  Knee surgery has come a long way.  The fact that HOF players with long durable careers had knee issues (Munoz, Gore had multiple ACL tears) in college means that writing this guy off is silly. 

They have a medical staff.  They will check him out.  They should.  You believe they have to give him some extra scrutiny because of durability concerns?  Sure, that makes sense.  Taking him off the board?  Silly and wrong.  There was a Maccagnan era study that found that a very high percentage of "good" players found on day 3 were guys who dropped due to injury concerns.

To be fair, he's kind of an ass.