Malachi Corley vs Rashee Rice

46 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I'm sorry to be the cynic in this thread, but to me this isn't even close. Rice is drastically better at route running and creating short area separation, does not really look to create contact or run physically, and has much better hands catching away from his body. He has a slightly larger frame than Corley too and isn't as compact/muscular, though he's close. 

Rice also developed during the course of the year, he runs nice intermediate routes and looks like he could (pending charges?) be the legit wr1 for KC. He does a lot more for them than just short routes, 12ypc is not too shabby. Dude almost had 1k yards last year. Corley is not touching that and isn't nearly on the same level at current, and not just because he'll be #3 at best on this depth chart. I'll honestly be thrilled if he even makes it to Rice's current level as a pure WR. 

Edit: oh, also, Rice operated out of the slot less than half the time. He ranked #3 in separation rate on his targets. I'd give my left nut to have him opposite GW honestly 

He had 8 targets of 20+ yards on the entire season and his avg depth of target was 4.9

Not sure where he got to display great route running skills. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve only read the second page of this thread but so far our 3rd round pick has been compared here to Steve Smith, Chrebet, Coles, Randall Cobb, Brock Bowers, Roman Wilson, Rashee Rice, and Laviska Shenault.

Hungry Fun GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, DJF71 said:

I will take Corley.

Yeah except these are stats from one season. Bowers stats were  completely different the previous two seasons because he had a different o coordinator and qb.

His contested catch rate for his career was 59 percent including a ridiculous 78 percent in 2022. 

Corley offers nothing in the run game. 

Bowers was rated a top 5-7 player in the draft. Corley was drafted in the third round.

Its a silly comparison.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Rice is drastically better at route running

Based on what exactly? He ran the exact same routes Corley was running in college.  His 12 ypc is due to being 3rd in the NFL in YAC, not depth of routes. He had 938 receiving yds, with 653 from YAC. Corley may not yield the same production as Rice, but the play style comparison is fair

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why Douglas did not draft another WR mid round is just another example of him having blinders on.   Lots of really good prospects rounds 4 and lower an he took two rbs instead.   Refused to take a guard in the draft as well in deep oline draft.   Fora Gm with so much promise he sure makes some dumb decisions.

He's trying to play the whole "we are win now team but are also building towards the future" BS that people like footballguy have said he is about.

How does the FSU QB help this team at all in 2024? What if that pick could have been used on a starter for the offense?

JD is not mortgaging the future and putting all his chips in while Rodgers is here. Its more like 80 all in/20 future. I dont like it.

7 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Bowers was rated a top 5-7 player in the draft. Corley was drafted in the fourth round.

Wow, inflation is bad. The first pick in the third round is a fourth rounder now? 

• Haha 1

We know that Rodgers does not love rookie WRs.  With the guys we have and at least 3 TEs I think JD did not see another WR making the team.  

He was willing to add 2 RBs. 

my guess is that they like the DBs too. And the IOL.   I don’t quite get the IOL.

But as usual we will bring in 20+ DL to camp.  

My completely realistic, reasonable expectation for Corley is a more physical Chrebet/Coles hybrid. I’m maybe only being half sarcastic here. I think he’s a talented, smart kid who wants to be better. I would not discount his ability to become effective as more than “just a slot,” down the road. This year, I expect a lot of short and underneath stuff that just gets the ball in his hands, with some downfield stuff thrown in to keep everyone honest. 

Rodgers top targets are gonna be Wilson and Breece, imho. Williams, Conklin, and -I believe- Corley will be in competition for the next batch. Lazard is probably next man up as Rodgers’ bro, and after that it’s a battle for scraps. 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Based on what exactly? He ran the exact same routes Corley was running in college.  His 12 ypc is due to being 3rd in the NFL in YAC, not depth of routes. He had 938 receiving yds, with 653 from YAC. Corley may not yield the same production as Rice, but the play style comparison is fair

8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He had 8 targets of 20+ yards on the entire season and his avg depth of target was 4.9

Not sure where he got to display great route running skills. 

A target of over 20+ yards doesn't necessarily incidate to me great route running. Again, as I said, the man was THIRD in the league in Target Separation distance. DESPITE the fact that he's not running deep Bombs, he had around 2.5yds Separation on average when being targeted on these short routes. Does that not indicate excellent short area route running? Because that's how you get great Separation last I checked, especially when not going deep.

I don't care about how Rice was used in college, I'm talking about last year for the chiefs. Didn't you guys watch him? It wasn't all slants and bubble screens, this guy was doing a lot of outs, drags, 10yd type crossing routes, corner routes... the Chiefs got him the ball in space, yes, but he often made himself that space running great routes. Not his fault the chiefs were typically using MVS and Justin Watson for bomb plays, I don't think it's from a lack of ability there. We'll find out if he returns. 

Anyway, while his college usage was similar, the other thing I pointed out is that he doesn't make a point of playing physically and running guys over. In that sense, Corley IS like a deebo. Rice and Corley may both be YAC reliant players, but i suspect Corley will mainly get "manufactured" screen, sweep and slant looks whereas Rice does so much more....

Edit: if there's one thing I'll give you two in this debate it's that we could see Corley, like Rice, turn out to be more than his college tape showed. But personally I'll have to see that first. 

• Upvote 1

here, this is like the first video on YouTube. Plenty of quick hitters, sure, but you'll also see sideline back shoulder catches, corner routes in the end zone, deep crosses, and a whole lot of Rice settling into gaps in the zone coverage for Mahomes downfield and then running away after he catches the ball (Kelce-ish!). And yet very often he is dodging players in the open field, not drawing contact.

This kid does it all! If Corley can next year too, I'll be surprised and impressed 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Wow, inflation is bad. The first pick in the third round is a fourth rounder now? 

Oh cool, an economic reference. Yup, apologies, third rounder. I got one for ya.

What’s it called when you trade the number 13 pick for the number 65 pick straight up?

Unemployment. 

Im not sold on Corley being a breakout star.  His type of play rarely translates to the nfl.  

But he is a 3rd round pick.  If 3rd round picks turn out to be slightly above average players, that is good.

I think in the next few years that Corley can turn into that.  I would not expect much from him this year though.

6 receivers were taken in the 3rd round last year.  2 had pretty good season.  %s arent in our favor of this kid contributing much this year.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

It really hurt me to see that we almost took Roman Wilson instead in that 1JD show. The fact that the steelers took him tells me everything. But also, agreed, even if we love Corley other good prospects were available later that offered different skill sets that could still add value. Particularly in another year or two when Mike Williams and possibly Lazard may be gone. 

I definitely feel that we should have taken another WR with one of the three 4th round picks that we had, another O-Lineman as well.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im not sold on Corley being a breakout star.  His type of play rarely translates to the nfl.  

But he is a 3rd round pick.  If 3rd round picks turn out to be slightly above average players, that is good.

I think in the next few years that Corley can turn into that.  I would not expect much from him this year though.

6 receivers were taken in the 3rd round last year.  2 had pretty good season.  %s arent in our favor of this kid contributing much this year.

Laveranues Coles was also a 3rd round pick.

Similar builds.....lets hope.

3 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

A target of over 20+ yards doesn't necessarily incidate to me great route running. Again, as I said, the man was THIRD in the league in Target Separation distance. DESPITE the fact that he's not running deep Bombs, he had around 2.5yds Separation on average when being targeted on these short routes. Does that not indicate excellent short area route running? Because that's how you get great Separation last I checked, especially when not going deep.

I don't care about how Rice was used in college, I'm talking about last year for the chiefs. Didn't you guys watch him? It wasn't all slants and bubble screens, this guy was doing a lot of outs, drags, 10yd type crossing routes, corner routes... the Chiefs got him the ball in space, yes, but he often made himself that space running great routes. Not his fault the chiefs were typically using MVS and Justin Watson for bomb plays, I don't think it's from a lack of ability there. We'll find out if he returns. 

Anyway, while his college usage was similar, the other thing I pointed out is that he doesn't make a point of playing physically and running guys over. In that sense, Corley IS like a deebo. Rice and Corley may both be YAC reliant players, but i suspect Corley will mainly get "manufactured" screen, sweep and slant looks whereas Rice does so much more....

Edit: if there's one thing I'll give you two in this debate it's that we could see Corley, like Rice, turn out to be more than his college tape showed. But personally I'll have to see that first. 

I wasnt comparing their use in college. The Chiefs used Rice in a role similar to Corley's at WKU.  A lot of screens, quick passes to the flat, slants, crossers etc. The vast majority of their targets within 10 yds or less of the LOS, then letting them use their YAC ability to make plays

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just looked at the 2022 draft 3rd round and 4 receivers were taken.  None are any good.  

Doubs has been doing well and contributing in Green Bay, but the other 2022 3rd and 4th WRs not much out of them.

But just look at 2021 3rd & 4th!  Amon St. Brown (4th), Nico Collins (3rd), Josh Palmer (3rd).  Much better.

Too early to evaluate 2023, but Dell (3rd rd) was a star before the injury last season.  Gems can be found in rd 3 & 4 as long as your name isn't Idzik.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

I wasnt comparing their use in college. The Chiefs used Rice in a role similar to Corley's at WKU.  A lot of screens, quick passes to the flat, slants, crossers etc. The vast majority of their targets within 10 yds or less of the LOS, then letting them use their YAC ability to make plays

Ok, that's fine and true. But MY point is that Rice can do, and did, much more than that. Even if that was his bread and butter. Also, as I said, he has shown much more RR skills to me than what I see on tape from Corley. Corley will likely be getting more screens and sweeps than anything, especially early. Plays where he doesn't even have to really run a route. Maybe some inside slants if Rodgers sees the other team is slacking on its coverage there. 

They share the YAC similarity but I think this thread comparing them just ain't right. 

50 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Ok, that's fine and true. But MY point is that Rice can do, and did, much more than that. Even if that was his bread and butter. Also, as I said, he has shown much more RR skills to me than what I see on tape from Corley. Corley will likely be getting more screens and sweeps than anything, especially early. Plays where he doesn't even have to really run a route. Maybe some inside slants if Rodgers sees the other team is slacking on its coverage there. 

They share the YAC similarity but I think this thread comparing them just ain't right. 

Of Rice's 79 catches only 18 of them had anything to do with the route he ran. 

Sometimes he would catch horizontal passes at the line of scrimmage

Sometimes he would run two to three yards past the line of scimmage and sit down

Sometimes he would find a soft spot in the D and stop there

A few times Mahomes would scramble and Rice would make himself available by drifting the same way (three or four of them, if I recall)

Let's be accurate at least. You can go back and watch every target from every game of the Chiefs season like I did to check my work if you want

5 hours ago, Barton said:

He's trying to play the whole "we are win now team but are also building towards the future" BS that people like footballguy have said he is about.

How does the FSU QB help this team at all in 2024? What if that pick could have been used on a starter for the offense?

JD is not mortgaging the future and putting all his chips in while Rodgers is here. Its more like 80 all in/20 future. I dont like it.

He already has mortgaged the future with the Rodgers move, no going back now.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Just looked at the 2022 draft 3rd round and 4 receivers were taken.  None are any good.  

I like how you skipped 2023s draft and went to 2022 bc there were good 3rd round WRs last draft.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I like how you skipped 2023s draft and went to 2022 bc there were good 3rd round WRs last draft.

take a peak at 2021.  Amon-ra St. Brown. Nico Collins. 4th and 3rd rds, respectively. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have no issue if you have doubts about Corley as prospect but judging it based on draft position is very silly.

This was a historically deep WR draft which pushed guys like Corley and Wilson into the third, and guys like Malik Washington even deeper into the draft. In almost any other draft Corley and Wilson are 2nd rounders. 

The Jets showed video of Douglas trying to trade up for Corley as early as 45- would you feel better if a different team had accepted our trade up and we took him in the 2nd?

Lastly, the third round is a long round, and Corley was picked with the first selection of the round.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Of Rice's 79 catches only 18 of them had anything to do with the route he ran. 

Sometimes he would catch horizontal passes at the line of scrimmage

Sometimes he would run two to three yards past the line of scimmage and sit down

Sometimes he would find a soft spot in the D and stop there

A few times Mahomes would scramble and Rice would make himself available by drifting the same way (three or four of them, if I recall)

Let's be accurate at least. You can go back and watch every target from every game of the Chiefs season like I did to check my work if you want

You should watch that video I sent like 3 posts ago

Edit: also, I agreed he mostly lives in the short area, but he is capable of doing much more as I said and that is key. I doubt Corley can say the same. He also expanded his role significantly in his 26 playoff catches. 

In particular, finding a soft spot in zone coverage is, in fact, great route running and something I am not expecting the Jets to have Corley doing. Rodgers LOVES that type of player (Cobb, Nelson, etc). All this going toward my overall point that Corley =/= Rice in more ways than not. Just the yac. 

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Back in those days that car brand was fully deserving of the scorn it receives, not so much these days.

I know lol messing with ya

Hyundai makes awesome cars. One of the best bang for your buck brands on the market, IMO

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

You should watch that video I sent like 3 posts ago

Edit: also, I agreed he mostly lives in the short area, but he is capable of doing much more as I said and that is key. I doubt Corley can say the same. He also expanded his role significantly in his 26 playoff catches. 

In particular, finding a soft spot in zone coverage is, in fact, great route running and something I am not expecting the Jets to have Corley doing. Rodgers LOVES that type of player (Cobb, Nelson, etc). All this going toward my overall point that Corley =/= Rice in more ways than not. Just the yac. 

I should watch nothing. I watched EVERY SINGLE target and catch, your video is a highlight reel lol

If you think running two or three steps and turning around or running straight to an open spot in the defense is great route running then we're just going to have to disagree.  If you think Corley can't figure out how to do that well then we should have just thrown that pick in the trash because even I could figure out how to do that and I'm a terrible route runner.

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I should watch nothing. I watched EVERY SINGLE target and catch, your video is a highlight reel lol

If you think running three steps and turning around is great or running straight to an open spot in the defense is route running then we're just going to have to disagree.  If you think Corley can't figure out how to do that well then we should have just thrown that pick in the trash.

You said 79 catches, 26 more in the playoffs were apparently outside the scope. I think you're over simplifying Rice's diverse talents and stretching this because you want this comparison to be true. 

Maybe Corley can do this, but I'll have to see it to believe it. Reading the zone doesn’t appear to be something he did in college, nevermind the NFL. I won't lie, I don't love the pick.

With Mike Williams (and Lazard) in town we will probably not get to test our hypotheses on this in 2024 anyway, so fine. I hope you're right someday. It'd be grand if Corley was a near 1k yard player. I will be very surprised if he's doing more than the Gipson gadget role next year, though, bar multiple injuries. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You missed my previous post.  2023 draft had 6 wide receivers drafted and only 2 of them were any good in their rookie year.

14 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah except these are stats from one season. Bowers stats were  completely different the previous two seasons because he had a different o coordinator and qb.

His contested catch rate for his career was 59 percent including a ridiculous 78 percent in 2022. 

Corley offers nothing in the run game. 

Bowers was rated a top 5-7 player in the draft. Corley was drafted in the third round.

Its a silly comparison.

Luckily I never compared the two. I would rather have Corley and a top rated LT than Bowers and a scrub. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Luckily I never compared the two. I would rather have Corley and a top rated LT than Bowers and a scrub. 

It looked like it turned into bowers and the Yale kid Amegadjie or Olu and Corley.  

it’s obvious a little early to declare this but I think the Jets correctly predicted after Odunze was gone the OT pool would dry up before WR. 

• Upvote 1