How much should Rodgers play in the pre-season?

On 5/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, Testaverde9819 said:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs that ever lived.  He doesn't need to throw a ten yard out in preseason dude

The rest of the OL needs to get used to Rodgers' cadences and timing, and his audibling.  What Rodgers needs isn't the only consideration.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Rodgers has rust to knock off.  He and the offense could gain a lot in terms of precision, execution, and chemistry.  Playing in a live game is different than playing in practice where the QB can't be touched.

He’s a 16 or so year veteran, he knows how to get ready.  Live games are different but the idea that he needs to be hit to get ready at his age isn’t what it’s made out to be. 
Ultimately it’s up to Rodgers.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Who cares what other teams do? It's only important that the Jets do what they NEED to do to be ready to play at a high level in game 1.  One should not coach and make decisions based upon fear.  With the new CBA teams don't get enough reps/practice in pads.  I'd rather have them hit the ground running in game one, rather than struggling to get their chemistry and timing down for several games.  

In a perfect world, all of these guys would get more work in the preseason, but that’s not what any of these coaches do. There’s really no use in arguing about it. 

Like I said, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for 50 passes from a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers in preseason. 

Rodgers has a lot of rust from not playing last season.  We have 3, probably 4 new starters on the OL in week one and could have 1-2 new starters at WR.  IMO what they did last year was in no way sufficient.

Either way, what they did last year is what you are likely to see again this year because it’s what the entire league basically does, give or take.

these coaches are terrified of losing guys in meaningless games. It is what it is 

FYI - the NFL is trending towards an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks and NO preseason. That will happen inside of 10 years. 

On 5/25/2024 at 6:01 PM, Testaverde9819 said:

College football has existed for decades without a preseason. 

Bingo 

and eventually, the NFL will also be without a preseason. It’s clear the teams don’t take it seriously. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Either way, what they did last year is what you are likely to see again this year because it’s what the entire league basically does, give or take.

these coaches are terrified of losing guys in meaningless games. It is what it is 

FYI - the NFL is trending towards an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks and NO preseason. That will happen inside of 10 years. 

I know, and I hate it.  The NFL is too much of a copycat league and is ruining the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, August said:

First game- 1 drive. 

Second game- 1 quarter

Third game- 1st half and the first drive of the 3rd quarter. 

I would go along with that. Its not just about Aaron Rodgers its the whole offense. If the Jets want to be ready for game 1 against the 49ers then he will play in the preseason. If the Jets take the stance that we don't want him injured so we will do what the rest of the NFL does and not play him in the preseason then the Jets get killed game 1 and he could still get injured. Damned if you do and damned if you dont so might as well play him and try and be ready for game 1.

• Upvote 1

In a perfect world, all of these guys would get more work in the preseason, but that’s not what any of these coaches do. There’s really no use in arguing about it. 

Like I said, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for 50 passes from a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers in preseason. 

I agree that's not what they do, but that doesn't make it right or what's best.  IMO this thread was about what we would like to see happen, not what will happen.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s a 16 or so year veteran, he knows how to get ready.  Live games are different but the idea that he needs to be hit to get ready at this isn’t what it’s made out to be. 
Ultimately it’s up to Rodgers.  

Rodgers isn't the one I'm worried about.  It's the rest of the offense getting in sync.  Having him in there with them would help

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

The rest of the OL needs to get used to Rodgers' cadences and timing, and his audibling.  What Rodgers needs isn't the only consideration.

Why don't the rams need it? Numerous NFL teams don't play the starters

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Bingo 

and eventually, the NFL will also be without a preseason. It’s clear the teams don’t take it seriously. 

Yup. 18 games and no preseason with two bye weeks and expanded rosters to probably 65-70 active players. Expanded ir and pup

I agree that's not what they do, but that doesn't make it right or what's best.  IMO this thread was about what we would like to see happen, not what will happen.

In that case, I’d like a threesome with Margot Robbie and Lauren Cohan

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Testaverde9819 said:

Why don't the rams need it? Numerous NFL teams don't play the starters

Well, the Rams' HC is a very good coach, better than Saleh, and he's an offensive coach.  The Rams will be in sync.  For many teams they don't play their starters out of fear of injury.  Another reason is that most other teams won't have 3 or 4 new starters on their OL.

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Well, the Rams' HC is a very good coach, better than Saleh, and he's an offensive coach.  The Rams will be in sync.  

Right, but what @Testaverde9819 is telling you is that McVay, the guy you admit is a top coach, doesn’t play his starters in the preseason, including his aging QB. You’re making his point for him. 

Right, but what @Testaverde9819 is telling you is that McVay, the guy you admit is a top coach, doesn’t play his starters in the preseason, including his aging QB. You’re making his point for him. 

Seriously?  LOL, No, I'm not.  McVay doesn't need to do it, because he doesn't have 4 new starting OL to begin the season, his QB isn't coming off of a torn achilles, and he's not only a better coach overall, but he's an OFFENSIVE Coach, not a defensive coach like Saleh. The Jets' situation is totally different.  It's like comparing apples and oranges. 

4 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

I trust mccay. I don't think he's stupid 

I don't think McVay is stupid either, and I never said that I thought McVay (not mccay) was stupid.  That was a general statement about the mindset of many NFL HCs, not every NFL HC and not McVay.

Your response is disingenuous and stupid.  I specifically said to you the following in another post:

"Well, the Rams' HC is a very good coach, better than Saleh, and he's an offensive coach.  The Rams will be in sync.  For many teams they don't play their starters out of fear of injury.  Another reason is that most other teams won't have 3 or 4 new starters on their OL.

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I don't think McVay is stupid either, and I never said that I thought McVay (not mccay) was stupid.  That was a general statement about the mindset of many NFL HCs, not every NFL HC and not McVay.

Your response is disingenuous and stupid.  I specifically said to you the following in another post:

"Well, the Rams' HC is a very good coach, better than Saleh, and he's an offensive coach.  The Rams will be in sync.  For many teams they don't play their starters out of fear of injury.  Another reason is that most other teams won't have 3 or 4 new starters on their OL.

the rams under mcvay have had years on offense with numerous new starters, including last year. it's like jets fans never learn. I'm not playing our starters in the frickin preseason dude.  we just disagree. and if we do, I think its a fireable offense if a key player gets hurt, which literally always happens to us. I'm tired of it.

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Seriously?  LOL, No, I'm not.  McVay doesn't need to do it, because he doesn't have 4 new starting OL to begin the season, his QB isn't coming off of a torn achilles, and he's not only a better coach overall, but he's an OFFENSIVE Coach, not a defensive coach like Saleh. The Jets' situation is totally different.  It's like comparing apples and oranges. 

Ugh, yea, seriously. 

McVay has done this for years - you don’t think he has ever had new starters (including on the OL) to work into the mix during some of these preseasons? All of these coaches have new starters every year - including on the OL.

btw, while we’re talking about OL, I wouldn’t look for Mr. I have a bad back Tyron Smith to play much in the preseason, either.

It’s also amusing to see you categorically label this as a “need” as if you are reciting some self evident law of nature.   

18 hours ago, slats said:

Cimini made this point about joint practices and their increasing popularity; the structured/controlled environment of joint practices allows your starters to get meaningful work against other teams with a much lower risk of injury. Jets are having joint practices with all of their preseason opponents. Rodgers can get most of his reps in during those practices while his collection of backups can handle the live preseason bullets. I think it’s safe to assume that Rodgers is familiar with the speed of the NFL. 

IIRC last year when the Jets practiced against the Panthers and Brian Burns was humiliating Max Mitchell down after down, Saleh canceled the second day of practices because it was “raining.” 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Another reason is that most other teams won't have 3 or 4 new starters on their OL.

They have three new starters, not sure why you keep saying 3 or 4. They can also run the starting OL in the preseason with or without Rodgers, Wilson, and Breece at all if they like. I’m not too concerned about those three having it pretty much together without any preseason action at all. They’ll get plenty of live work against other teams in controlled joint practices. The preseason nowadays is little more than a money grab, something they acknowledged when they dropped a preseason game while adding a regular season game. They’ll do it again when they increase the season to 18 games sometime soon, leaving just two preseason money grabs. 

Ugh, yea, seriously. 

McVay has done this for years - you don’t think he has ever had new starters (including on the OL) to work into the mix during some of these preseasons? All of these coaches have new starters every year - including on the OL.

btw, while we’re talking about OL, I wouldn’t look for Mr. I have a bad back Tyron Smith to play much in the preseason, either.

It’s also amusing to see you categorically label this as a “need” as if you are reciting some self evident law of nature.   

Exactly, Tyron Smith is already injury prone, mike Williams won't be 100%< that's all we need is the franchise Lt getting hurt so he can hear the damn cadence??? What are we talking about. 

Play the backups and let the rookies get some time. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC last year when the Jets practiced against the Panthers and Brian Burns was humiliating Max Mitchell down after down, Saleh canceled the second day of practices because it was “raining.” 

I’m rather shocked that you remember something Jets related with a negative twist to it. Not sure what the point is here, either. Max Mitchell is currently on a very fragile bubble. 

• Haha 1

Ugh, yea, seriously. 

Not entirely sure the same holds true for McVay, but in the Shanahan offense the QB doesn’t call protections and 99% of the work is done pre-snap, which is why a stiff like Garoppolo can look good in it. Same is not true with Hackett’s offense. Recall all the problems Russell Wilson had simply getting plays off when Hackett took over in Denver. LaFleur runs the McVay sh*t and a large part of why Rodgers hated him was because it was too structured and Rodgers wants to be able to call everything at the line based on what he sees on every play. That takes time to coordinate and get everyone up to speed with—especially when it’s new personnel. The Jets are trying to win a super bowl this year. Trying to accomplish that while hoping the offense progressively comes together in the early part of the schedule when they have a bunch of games compacted against each other is dicey. They open with three games in ten days, two of them on the road. If Rodgers is going to get hurt, it’s going to because his new OL misses a blitz pickup they haven’t seen before while they try and shake the rust off in that stretch. Not so much when they’re playing in preseason against teams that aren’t usually going full-bore anyway

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m rather shocked that you remember something Jets related with a negative twist to it. Not sure what the point is here, either. Max Mitchell is currently on a very fragile bubble. 

You asserted that they could get ready for live action vis a vis the controlled practices. Just pointing out that Saleh treats those like a working vacation, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The bulk of what the Jets offense is running this year currently exists solely in Aaron Rodgers’ addled brain. He’s going to make the entire thing up on the fly and no one in any position of presumed power is going to dare attempt to intervene in this very doomed plan. It’d be nice if the other players on the team were exposed to this dynamic before they have to test it against live competition. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not entirely sure the same holds true for McVay, but in the Shanahan offense the QB doesn’t call protections and 99% of the work is done pre-snap, which is why a stiff like Garoppolo can look good in it. Same is not true with Hackett’s offense. Recall all the problems Russell Wilson had simply getting plays off when Hackett took over in Denver. LaFleur runs the McVay sh*t and a large part of why Rodgers hated him was because it was too structured and Rodgers wants to be able to call everything at the line

Uhm, Hackett was the OC under LaFleur. I think you’re making too much of this. 

Not entirely sure the same holds true for McVay, but in the Shanahan offense the QB doesn’t call protections and 99% of the work is done pre-snap, which is why a stiff like Garoppolo can look good in it. Same is not true with Hackett’s offense. Recall all the problems Russell Wilson had simply getting plays off when Hackett took over in Denver. LaFleur runs the McVay sh*t and a large part of why Rodgers hated him was because it was too structured and Rodgers wants to be able to call everything at the line based on what he sees on every play. That takes time to coordinate and get everyone up to speed with—especially when it’s new personnel. The Jets are trying to win a super bowl this year. Trying to accomplish that while hoping the offense progressively comes together in the early part of the schedule when they have a bunch of games compacted against each other is dicey. 

It’s going to be dicey, regardless. Getting an extra 15 plays together in an exhibition game playing against a random assortment of starters and backups isn’t going to save the season. 

If Rodgers is going to get hurt, it’s going to because his new OL misses a blitz pickup they haven’t seen before while they try and shake the rust off in that stretch. 

That’s one possibility, sure. Or he could tear his other Achilles without even getting tackled  - like Vinny did. Or he could get hurt running out of bounds. Or stretching. Or jerking off. He’s old and the Jets have terrible injury luck. 

I just don’t buy that 15 extra plays in preseason is going to appreciably change how well the team is prepared, nor do I see it having any bearing on the likelihood of freak injuries. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The bulk of what the Jets offense is running this year currently exists solely in Aaron Rodgers’ addled brain. He’s going to make the entire thing up on the fly and no one in any position of presumed power is going to dare attempt to intervene in this very doomed plan. 

Is this actually true, or is this one of those talking points that we never have to actually think critically about? Are we saying that Hackett doesn’t install a playbook, now? 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Is this actually true, or is this one of those talking points that we never have to actually think critically about? Are we saying that Hackett doesn’t install a playbook, now? 

We saw what the Hackett playbook looks like both here and in Denver. Any success coming from this offense is going to be due to Aaron Rodgers running the Aaron Rodgers variant of whatever Hackett believes he is installing. 

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Uhm, Hackett was the OC under LaFleur. I think you’re making too much of this. 

Hackett called the red zone plays, but that was LaFleur’s offense, which looked pretty pretty good last year.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The bulk of what the Jets offense is running this year currently exists solely in Aaron Rodgers’ addled brain. He’s going to make the entire thing up on the fly and no one in any position of presumed power is going to dare attempt to intervene in this very doomed plan. It’d be nice if the other players on the team were exposed to this dynamic before they have to test it against live competition. 

While true, these days the coaching/staff veteran players put more stock into the scrimmages during the week than they do the actual preseason game.  Besides, they're not working that sh*t out in just a few series during the preseason.  

I dont really have an opinion on how much he should play, there is no right or wrong answer.  I'd just leave it up to him, he knows what he needs to be ready.  

• Upvote 3