Rodgers Is Still Rodgers

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not bitching, I've said this over and over again.  I like this team.  It's solid across the board and a couple of impact level players on both sides of the ball.  Getting QB play in the 15 to 20 range is probably good enough to steal a Wild Card.  Which is about where I expect Rodgers to be.  All I'm point out is Rodgers isn't the guy anymore most expect him to be.

Garappolo is a bum and had no interest in him.

Carr wouldn't have cost the picks and IMO, produced slightly better results.  More importantly with Carr they likely would have already drafted a first rounder QB that could sit behind him for a year or two.

The Rodgers move not only cost the picks and the absurd contract - after this year and a possible wild card and out - we'll be paying the price and again drafting a QB and being forced to start him.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Get over it.

I'm not bitching, I've said this over and over again.  I like this team.  It's solid across the board and a couple of impact level players on both sides of the ball.  Getting QB play in the 15 to 20 range is probably good enough to steal a Wild Card.  Which is about where I expect Rodgers to be.  All I'm point out is Rodgers isn't the guy anymore most expect him to be.
Carr wouldn't have cost the picks and IMO, produced slightly better results.  More importantly with Carr they likely would have already drafted a first rounder QB that could sit behind him for a year or two.
The Rodgers move not only cost the picks and the absurd contract - after this year and a possible wild card and out - we'll be paying the price and again drafting a QB and being forced to start him.

I know many won’t believe it, but we just drafted our franchise QB of the future.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Carr wouldn't have cost the picks and IMO, produced slightly better results.  

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Ranked 14 here, QB Index

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-68-starting-quarterbacks-from-the-2022-nfl-season

Ranked 17 here, PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-quarterback-rankings-and-tiers

Ranked 26, here QBR

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/season/2022/seasontype/2

Two years and a torn achilles isn't going to make him better.  He's shot.

lmfao - did you see Derek Carr on these lists?

23, 23 and 14 - so he worse than Rodgers based on your criteria.  So Carr both sucks and he's shot?  wow

And Derek Carr has more TD then Rodgers in this terrible year had 2 years ago, once, that was 10 years ago but I get it, you're on that TD's really dont matter train.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If Rodgers has a year like sad sack Carr had last year this forum will be anointing him as king kong rodgers.

Carr was probably crying becasue he did not have quality players like Billy turner Randall cobb, allan lazard and a the best offensive mind in the game ... nate hakett

Probably that's what it was.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Here's the difference. I am excited about an aging superstar QB leading a damn good roster. You were excited about an absolute sh*t stain of a QB and you kept doubling down on him. And now you are extremely butt hurt. You have no seat on the train. In fact, I hope it runs you over!

It's not personal.

I believe Rodgers is shot and the data supports that position.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

absurd contract? have you seen qb contracts? rodgers is a steal at this point. you state pure opinion as fact. the truth is you have no idea, and neither does anyone else on this forum, at what level rodgers is going to play at. you want to temper expectations? great. but stop with the exaggerated opinion of an obvious hater being stated as facts. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not personal.

I believe Rodgers is shot and the data supports that position.  

7th in TDs and 11th in yards is data and it disagrees with your “position”.   These are real stats not made up numbers that you’ve referenced 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

absurd contract? have you seen qb contracts? rodgers is a steal at this point. you state pure opinion as fact. the truth is you have no idea, and neither does anyone else on this forum, at what level rodgers is going to play at. you want to temper expectations? great. but stop with the exaggerated opinion of an obvious hater being stated as facts. 

Of course no one knows what he'll be...but there is plenty of data and history to make a reasonable assessment.

All-time great QB goes from a top 5 QB to playing in the bottom half of league in his 39th year, looking older and slower....The next season he tears his achilles on the 4th play of the season...

What's more likely to happen next?

1) Recovers cleanly from the tear, remarkably beats father time and gets better at 41.

2) Like every other person that began to show decline due to age, it will progress exponentially and only be exasperated by an injury.

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course no one knows what he'll be...but there is plenty of data and history to make a reasonable assessment.

All-time great QB goes from a top 5 QB to playing in the bottom half of league in his 39th year, looking older and slower....The next season he tears his achilles on the 4th play of the season...

1) Recovers cleanly from the tear, remarkably beats father time and gets better at 41.

2) Like every other person that began to show decline due to age, it will progress exponentially and only be exasperated by an injury.

I will lend tacit support to your position in this sense: Rodgers is a guy who takes a fair amount of sacks and hits despite playing behind what had been a pretty highly rated OL in Green Bay. This isn’t like Tom Brady, who would throw the ball away or dump it off to avoid taking hits. *If* Rodgers’ movement skills are compromised from the Achilles injury, he’s going to take a pretty good beating behind this OL even with the addition of Tyron Smith. John Simpson is a bad pass blocker. Moses is average. Even AVT isn’t great in pass pro. I think when we paint the optimistic case for Rodgers this year, it’s with the presumption that he’s going to become a check down guy who never gets hit, like Brady, and that has not been his game historically

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I will lend tacit support to your position in this sense: Rodgers is a guy who takes a fair amount of sacks and hits despite playing behind what had been a pretty highly rated OL in Green Bay. This isn’t like Tom Brady, who would throw the ball away or dump it off to avoid taking hits. *If* Rodgers’ movement skills are compromised from the Achilles injury, he’s going to take a pretty good beating behind this OL even with the addition of Tyron Smith. John Simpson is a bad pass blocker. Moses is average. Even AVT isn’t great in pass pro. I think when we paint the optimistic case for Rodgers this year, it’s with the presumption that he’s going to become a check down guy who never gets hit, like Brady, and that has not been his game historically

Yes.  Brady didn't have to adjust him game as he got older. 

Rodgers movement was a massive part of his game, any substantive decline in that ability will end up being a substantive decline in him overall as a player.

If he can get rid of the ball quickly, go down before he takes hits etc - he'll be fine - but we're not getting anything near MVP Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. pound the rock

2, throw short passes YAC son!

3. Occasional long ball when the defense is forced to move up.

4. Profit

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Brady didn't have to adjust him game as he got older. 

Rodgers movement was a massive part of his game, any substantive decline in that ability will end up being a substantive decline in him overall as a player.

If he can get rid of the ball quickly, go down before he takes hits etc - he'll be fine - but we're not getting anything near MVP Rodgers.

Not sure we need it. The only fault with your logic is it seems the coaching staff agrees with you as evident by the type of players they are bringing in. Rodgers like most old people need to modify these surroundings. This isn't a surprise to anyone. We have a very talented roster and it looks like we are focused on running the ball and short passes.

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure we need it. The only fault with your logic is it seems the coaching staff agrees with you as evident by the type of players they are bringing in. Rodgers like most old people need to modify these surroundings. This isn't a surprise to anyone. We have a very talented roster and it looks like we are focused on running the ball and short passes.

So yes.  Rodgers needs to modify his game to adapt to his age.

There are two questions to following that..

1) Can he adjust his game?

2) If he's capable of doing it, how much of a drop-off should be expected?

Thank you.  I'm glad we can have a actual discussion about this. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So yes.  Rodgers needs to modify his game to adapt to his age.

There are two questions to following that..

1) Can he adjust his game?

2) If he's capable of doing it, how much of a drop-off should be expected?

Thank you.  I'm glad we can have a actual discussion about this. 

Think you are going to see a very "protect Grandap" type of thing for the first half of the season. I mean he either adapts or dies, so yeah he will adjust his game. Since you are telling us of the amazing drop off his last season in Green Bay I could  offer that this might actually improve his game. Trim it up and try to control it more. 

I think you are right, all we will try do do is somehow get into the post season or be in contention to make it late. That's when the gloves come off and you will see more stretch plays. The first half season will be about letting him get his legs  back under him (both legs please), ball control with a couple shots with a lead and then play with it and allow our defense to finally shut out games like it was meant to last year but couldn't do it because of abysmal QB play and finally get that old crazy fool into the playoffs and see what happens. Nothing else makes sense to me. 

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Meh, this is an exaggeration.  What does "take a fair amount of sacks" mean?   The last time he played a full season, he took 32 in 17 games which was middle of the pack.  The guy right below him, Matt Stafford, took 29, he played 9 games.  Mahomes took 26, which is what, .35 less sacks per game?  Russell Wilson led the league, w/ 55.  And Rodgers OL sucked that year, totally banged up, nobody played a full season, it's a rotation of doodoo. 

You want to support Fido, you should do it w/ some subjective sh*t like he does because there isnt a strong data point to suggest Rodgers is going to fall off a cliff.  If he throws for the 7th most TD's in the NFL, like he did his last season in GB, the Jets are 100% going to be legit Super Bowl contenders.  The Jets have won 7 games scoring the least amount of TD's in the NFL in back to back seasons.  Imagine if they were top 10? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

i don't think anyone expects he will get better than he was. but it's reasonable to think he could have a better year than 2022. the team is talented...

run game should be very good
oline should be fairly decent barring injuries
he should have decent receiving options ot throw the ball to
he knows the system

this team is more talented, on paper, than the packers team from 2022. the defense is good enough to give the offense A LOT of chances to score points. 

i get not wanting to get your hopes up given what we have endured for what seems like forever. the complete doom and gloom you project seems just as extreme and unreasonable as projecting him to have an mvp year. 4000 yds, 35 tds and <10 ints is certainly doable and would make this team a force to be reckoned with coupled with what we can reasonably project to be one of the best run games in the league and a defense in the top 10

45 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Think you are going to see a very "protect Grandap" type of thing for the first half of the season. I mean he either adapts or dies, so yeah he will adjust his game. Since you are telling us of the amazing drop off his last season in Green Bay I could  offer that this might actually improve his game. Trim it up and try to control it more. 

I think you are right, all we will try do do is somehow get into the post season or be in contention to make it late. That's when the gloves come off and you will see more stretch plays. The first half season will be about letting him get his legs  back under him (both legs please), ball control with a couple shots with a lead and then play with it and allow our defense to finally shut out games like it was meant to last year but couldn't do it because of abysmal QB play and finally get that old crazy fool into the playoffs and see what happens. Nothing else makes sense to me. 

rodgers is gonna run the offense and call the plays most likely. he will do what he thinks he can do. no one is gonna be putting a leash on him

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Aaron Rodgers won't throw 48 TD's against 5 Int's with a 70% completion rate and a 121.5 passer rating. No chance. He's clearly cooked.

lol exactly. some of these guys think it's insane production or he is gonna be peyton manning in his last year on the broncos. barring injury, rodgers will have a good year. rodgers having a good year will put this team in contention for a super bowl

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

You want to support Fido, you should do it w/ some subjective sh*t like he does because there isnt a strong data point to suggest Rodgers is going to fall off a cliff.  If he throws for the 7th most TD's in the NFL, like he did his last season in GB, the Jets are 100% going to be legit Super Bowl contenders.  The Jets have won 7 games scoring the least amount of TD's in the NFL in back to back seasons.  Imagine if they were top 10? 

I've deservedly been called far worse, but lmao

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

all we will try do do is somehow get into the post season or be in contention to make it late. That's when the gloves come off and you will see more stretch plays

I think this is fair.  If we can sneak into the playoffs and then just let him go - you never know.

As the late great Toby Keith said "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is fair.  If we can sneak into the playoffs and then just let him go - you never know.

As the late great Toby Keith said "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

If you call winning the division "sneaking in" then more power to you. We split with Buffalo last year and the win came with Slappy at the helm. Rodgers could lose a leg and play better than him.

53 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If you call winning the division "sneaking in" then more power to you. We split with Buffalo last year and the win came with Slappy at the helm. Rodgers could lose a leg and play better than him.

I think this is a needing some help, sneak in final week wild card type season.

i think it's funny to see predicitons on exactly the type of season its going to be without seeing a single quarter of football played yet. the team, n paper, has division winning talent. we will know better after we see a few games actually played

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Does he really take a lot of sacks compared to league average? 

5 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Meh, this is an exaggeration.  What does "take a fair amount of sacks" mean?   The last time he played a full season, he took 32 in 17 games which was middle of the pack.  The guy right below him, Matt Stafford, took 29, he played 9 games.  Mahomes took 26, which is what, .35 less sacks per game?  Russell Wilson led the league, w/ 55.  And Rodgers OL sucked that year, totally banged up, nobody played a full season, it's a rotation of doodoo. 

I’m not suggesting that he’s going to fall off a cliff, but it should be concerning that he’s 40, coming off an Achilles injury that’s going to limit his mobility, plays a style of ball that incurs contact, is playing behind an OL that’s never played together and will not practice together, and is playing for the OC that helped Russell Wilson get sacked 55 times, as you pointed out.