Jets Sign UFL Guard Kohl Levao

51 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yup. All the Jets UDFAs signed 3 year deals at about that amount. The only real variations are the number of guaranteed dollars in deals.

If that's the case, then why is it being reported that the Jets are the only team to offer Levao a multi-year deal?

Something doesn't add up.

55 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If that's the case, then why is it being reported that the Jets are the only team to offer Levao a multi-year deal?

Something doesn't add up.

UDFA deals are typically for one-two years only; then the player is an ERFA

Three years takes a player to Restricted Free Agency

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, C Mart said:

Isn’t that also the standard contract terms for UDFA? 

9 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm no expert @C Mart but if that's the case, I was not aware that UDFA's were given 3 year deals, as a standard contract.

The article stated there were multiple teams interesated in Levao and the Jets were reported to be, the only team that offered him a multi-year contract.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

UDFA deals are typically for one-two years only; then the player is an ERFA

Three years takes a player to Restricted Free Agency

I think this is correct.  I don't think he has any accrued years, so he would probably still be under team control even without the 3 year contract, so I'm not sure why he and his agent liked that.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Yup. All the Jets UDFAs signed 3 year deals at about that amount. The only real variations are the number of guaranteed dollars in deals.

Evidently, it's only standard for the Jets, as other teams who were interested in Lovao didn't offer him a multi-year contract.

35 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Evidently, it's only standard for the Jets, as other teams who were interested in Lovao didn't offer him a multi-year contract.

He's not an UDFA, though. He's a 1st year player signing out of another league. I think people are getting too hung up on the length of contract stuff here - the only thing that really matters for these guys is guaranteed money, which will be minimal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He's not an UDFA, though. He's a 1st year player signing out of another league. I think people are getting too hung up on the length of contract stuff here - the only thing that really matters for these guys is guaranteed money, which will be minimal.

I understand what you're saying @mrcoops

The only reason the length of the contract is being brought up, is because of what's being reported by Larsen below:

Larsen explained that Levao garnered “plenty of NFL interest” and held “multiple” contract offers from NFL teams. However, he signed with the Jets because they offered him a multi-year deal which ended up being, “the biggest contract for any UFL player so far this offseason.”

Here are some interesting stats I just stumbled across:

Levao didn't allow a single sack on over 800 pass-block snaps over the last two seasons with the Brahmas. The Washington native also didn't allow a QB hit in 2024, posting consecutive Pro Football Focus pass-block grades of 77.3 and 74.2 in 2023 and 2024, respectively.

I understand that level of competition in the UFL, is obviously a step down from the NFL, but this is still somewhat encouraging.

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I agree that people are getting too hung up on the length of the contract.  That's what it took to sign him, and they evidently think he's worth it.  I hope they're right.

It doesn't really matter, but in a sense, he is a UDFA as he wasn't drafted by the Jets or any other NFL team and they signed him as a FA.  I don't know anything about that other league, but common sense says that he wasn't under contract to that team or league now that their season was over, since the Jets didn't have to buy his contract from that team or trade anything to get him.  Either Lovao's contract was up or all of the players in that league are just on 1-year contracts.  The Jets didn't trade for him or draft him, so in essence he was/is a UDFA.

This is actually a good move.  You want your GM getting better.  Finding talent not just in rounds 1 and 2, but in rounds 6-7 and UDFA.  He has now found a player in another league.  Why do I like this move?  Because playing in the UFL is still better than a college player.  You have played at a professional level against other men.  Will he pan out?  Who knows.  But it is a great way to find a potential player for a fraction of the cost

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, mrcoops said:

According to overthecap, Levao got a 3 year deal at minimum salaries, with no guaranteed money at all. I guess the "biggest contract in league history" stuff was just agent fluff. With zero guaranteed money, Levao might end up earning nothing if he fails to stick:

https://overthecap.com/player/kohl-levao/12312

Well it's a low risk signing, if he pans out, he'll give us some additional O-line depth, which is never a bad thing.

It's tough to know what to believe anymore, as far as information that's being reported these days.

You can find information and quote a source (Just as I did) but there's really no guarantee that the information you found, is completely accurate.

Thanks for following up @mrcoops