Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

In order to believe that Reddick had agreed to play here—but not Philly—under his existing contract, you’d have to believe the Jets word as delivered from their on-call launderer Connor Hughes. 

Or just listen to his introductory press conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And one party is not living up to his contract. Nor his word that he would show up, regardless of contract.

When a team cuts a player with years left on their deal, is that “not living up to a contract?” 

And if it is, is that more or less morally reprehensible than when a player does it?

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok.

1) Of course I acknowledge they are handing it differently.

2) It is any less dumb to not wear a seatbelt if you don’t end up in a car wreck? Falcons got lucky, Jets didn’t (do we ever?)

3) Lot more differences than that. 

1) Glad you finally acknowledged that.

2) The seatbelt analogy is a poor one - but I have to acknowledge what you said about the Jets luck, is actually spot-on.

3) This is the response I'd like to hear you elaborate on @jgb You say there are "Lot more differences" between Judon's situation & Reddick's.

Kindly list your perceived differences.

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

1) Glad you finally acknowledged that.

You should re-read your question and my response. Not the mic drop moment you think it is. I acknowledged they are approaching it differently because that is a fact (nor did I or anyone on Earth ever deny it).

What I disagree with is that you think one approach is morally superior to the other.

2) The seatbelt analogy is a poor one - but I have to acknowledge what you said about the Jets luck is actually spot-on.

In the absence of an alternative proposal, it’s thus far the best one we have.

3) This is the response I'd like to hear you elaborate on @jgb You say there are "Lot more differences" between Judon's situation & Reddicks.

Kindly list your perceived differences.

I don’t take homework assignments over the Internet but the fact that they are two different teams, in two different cities, with two different owners and front offices should get you started if you want to create a list.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

When a team cuts a player with years left on their deal, is that “not living up to a contract?” 

And if it is, is that more or less morally reprehensible than when a player does it?

That is how it is written in the CBA. Collectively bargained. Those are the rules and players know it.

Again, what I am referring to is the WORD of Reddick. He said he WOULD come to camp. AND, the Jets said they would talk with him then about a possible restructure.

Something changed. That is not the Jets fault. Again, I would say representation.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t take homework assignments over the Internet but the fact that they are two different teams, in two different cities, with two different owners and front offices should get you started if you want to create a list.

Which has absolutely ZERO bearing, on how these 2 players are handling their respective and nearly identical contract situations.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is how it is written in the CBA. Collectively bargained. Those are the rules and players know it.

Again, what I am referring to is the WORD of Reddick. He said he WOULD come to camp. AND, the Jets said they would talk with him then about a possible restructure.

Something changed. That is not the Jets fault. Again, I would say representation.

It’s also written in CBA that players can withhold services/hold out.

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Which has absolutely ZERO bearing, on how these 2 players are handling their respective and nearly identical contract situations.

How do you know how Judon views the Falcons versus how Reddick views the Jets? Most players have some preference where they’d like to play. Atlanta might be Judon’s dream spot for all I know.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I never said that was not his right. What you continue to confuse, or ujst ignore is that Reddck HIMSELF said he would not do what he is doing right now.

Not that difficult. 

And my point is that JD was naive for not getting more than a promise before trading.

Just now, jgb said:

And my point is that JD was naive for not getting more than a promise before trading.

Eh, if you can't take a man for his word, then what do you really have? Everything does not need to be lawyered to the nth degree. I know you feel different, but that is what makes you a rich man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

How do you know how Judon views the Falcons versus how Reddick views the Jets? Most players have some preference where they’d like to play. Atlanta might be Judon’s dream spot for all I know.

That's quite a reach.

Both players signed off on their trades, You'd have to believe that each had at least a somewhat favorable view of their new teams.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Eh, if you can't take a man for his word, then what do you really have?

Contract law.

Everything does not need to be lawyered to the nth degree. I know you feel different, but that is what makes you a rich man. 

This isn’t a promise to split a check at Denny’s. We are talking about sophisticated parties making decisions involving tens of millions of dollars. So, yes, it does need to be “lawyered up.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think Reddick is thinking he is screwing with the Jets, but the fact is that he is screwing with both the Jets and himself.  If he shows up for the first time on gameday, or a game day during the season, he will not be able to play at his premium self.  He will hurt the Jets, and hurt himself when he wants to get that next contact with another team in the future.  

It has become personal for him, and ultimately it will be him that pays the price, which is reduced money in the future.  Not to mention all the lost money due to the fines he must end up paying.

I really wish the Jets could trade him, but JD is taking a strong stand here, and as much as it hurts, I respect him.

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think Reddick is thinking he is screwing with the Jets, but the fact is that he is screwing with both the Jets and himself.  If he shows up for the first time on gameday, or a game day during the season, he will not be able to play at his premium self.  He will hurt the Jets, and hurt himself when he wants to get that next contact with another team in the future.  

It has become personal for him, and ultimately it will be him that pays the price, which is reduced money in the future.  Not to mention all the lost money due to the fines he must end up paying.

I really wish the Jets could trade him, but JD is taking a strong stand here, and as much as it hurts, I respect him.

Reddick may well be making a poor choice here. But I support his right to make it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Contract law.

This isn’t a promise to split a check at Denny’s. We are talking about sophisticated parties making decisions involving tens of millions of dollars. So, yes, it does need to be “lawyered up.”

Can you give me an example of a contract that was signed by player and club, that a player would show up in camp?

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Can you give me an example of a contract that was signed by player and club, that a player would show up in camp?

Come on, now, Scott. Reddick was in the midst of an acrimonious contract dispute and we traded for him based on a “promise” that he would drop all that because… I dunno maybe he just loves the Jets that much.

JD got hornswaggled by somebody. Reddick, his agents, Howie Roseman… maybe by all of the above.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He wants a signed contract on top of his signed contract. 

But let’s play along with him. So Douglas gets a signed contract that Reddick will report. So now when Reddick  doesn’t report what do the Jets do, fine Reddick on top of the fines they are already assessing him?   lol. Or do they take back all the Jets tshirts and hats they gave him during his intro presser?  lol. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Come on, now, Scott. Reddick was in the midst of an acrimonious contract dispute and we traded for him based on a “promise” that he would drop all that because… I dunno maybe he just loves the Jets that much.

JD got hornswaggled by somebody. Reddick, his agents, Howie Roseman… maybe by all of the above.

Well, no. The Jets said they would negotiate with him. But show up. He reportedly agreed to that.

Even if he had his contract guaranteed in full (which I think the Jets would do-but what do i know), he would have been ahead of the game.

Reddick has hurt himself in this shell game, more than he has hurt the Jets.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:10 AM, mfmartin said:

I mean the game was different then. The NFL didn’t even have free agency until the last two years of his tenure. So to use a historical outlier and say see it’s could happen with Douglas is just wishful thinking imo.

It’s like saying Drew Brees struggled for years so Zach Wilson could be good.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Nonsense.  JD took over a team year one after FA and just before the draft.  He had little to do with the roster yet gets blame for the winning %.  Just like blaming him because Macc let a pro bowl K walk and had a replacement that retired right before the season started.  
He followed that season with one where he blew up and gutted the entire roster.  Since that period of time hes assembled one of the leagues best rosters in the NFL.  His big FU was the whole ZW fiasco.

Firing JD for ZW and this team would be dumb as can be.  

Well, no. The Jets said they would negotiate with him. But show up. He reportedly agreed to that.

Even if he had his contract guaranteed in full (which I think the Jets would do-but what do i know), he would have been ahead of the game.

Reddick has hurt himself in this shell game, more than he has hurt the Jets.  

I also think he’s making a poor decision that will end up hurting him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

The promise wasn’t that he would completely drop it and move on, the promise was that he would come in and practice while they negotiated.  
A promise we all heard.  

32 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Let there be light!!!

There is a difference between thinking something is a bad decision or an immoral/unethical one.

I 100% support players’ right to withhold services whenever and for how long they choose to do so, even when I personally think it’s a poor decision.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The promise wasn’t that he would completely drop it and move on, the promise was that he would come in and practice while they negotiated.  
A promise we all heard.  

So what? JD is naive for buying it.