~~~ College Game Day August 31~~~

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s gotta suck knowing how much NIL money was funneled to Ughaleilei and watching him single-handedly end your season ten minutes into the season

Could be seeing one of the 1st times NIL $ is keeping a coach from dumping a star player right here. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

FSU has quit on Norvell.

Man, I dont think it's that at all.  I think he made some big miscalculations on how to build and has relied way to heavily on transfers.  He had so much success in the transfer portal, I think he thought it was sustainable and it's not.  It's funny, I was having this conversation w/ FSU fans last year and some of the threads here last year.  It was a nice season, playing nobodies w/ a team full of transfers, but as soon as the well dries, FSU is going to come crashing down because Norvell cant recruit.  I also think Jordan Travis was a very special collegiate player, who he inherited and Travis bailed him out quite a bit on pure talent and playmaking ability.

I do not understand bringing in DJ U.  He sucks out loud and is an awful fit for what they want to do.   On the other side, he went up against some serious pedigree in Billy O.  And as soon as BC saw where they could exploit them, Norvell got a taste of professional coaching and Billy O dared him to stop it and they couldnt, I know they didnt have their team but Kirby did the same thing in the bowl game.

I think the better way to phrase this is, FSU has been exposed.  I'm not sure it's a matter of effort and playing for the coach.  By all measures, Norvell is adored in Tallysh*thole.  I think this is a structural problem that Norvell is going to have to fix to stick around for a while.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Man, I dont think it's that at all.  I think he made some big miscalculations on how to build and has relied way to heavily on transfers.  He had so much success in the transfer portal, I think he thought it was sustainable and it's not.  It's funny, I was having this conversation w/ FSU fans last year and some of the threads here last year.  It was a nice season, playing nobodies w/ a team full of transfers, but as soon as the well dries, FSU is going to come crashing down because Norvell cant recruit.  I also think Jordan Travis was a very special collegiate player, who he inherited and Travis bailed him out quite a bit on pure talent and playmaking ability.

I do not understand bringing in DJ U.  He sucks out loud and is an awful fit for what they want to do.   On the other side, he went up against some serious pedigree in Billy O.  And as soon as BC saw where they could exploit them, Norvell got a taste of professional coaching and Billy O dared him to stop it and they couldnt, I know they didnt have their team but Kirby did the same thing in the bowl game.

I think the better way to phrase this is, FSU has been exposed.  I'm not sure it's a matter of effort and playing for the coach.  By all measures, Norvell is adored in Tallysh*thole.  I think this is a structural problem that Norvell is going to have to fix to stick around for a while.

Do you believe that relying on the transfer portal results in a lower quality roster? I don’t have an opinion, just curious. I was thinking that perhaps the physical traits of a player may be easier to assess while the spirit and attitude of a transfer could be more suspect.

2 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Do you believe that relying on the transfer portal results in a lower quality roster? I don’t have an opinion, just curious. I was thinking that perhaps the physical traits of a player may be easier to assess while the spirit and attitude of a transfer could be more suspect.

The portal is great for filling holes in your roster if you have a specific position deficiency.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Depends on the sport. Basketball you can build a winner with it, but football the rosters are too big. Transfer portal is for plugging holes because there are too many positions. Foundational recruiting is still the bedrock of a strong football program. The way that's done is different since NIL, but it's still the main thing.

3 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

I think there is a balance you have to find but I think at the core, elite recruiting is going to win out every time.  There is a huge advantage to having a player who you've developed since freshman year blossoming vs. trying to hit lightening in the bottle w/ the transfer portal every year. 

I'll use these Florida blue blood programs as examples of what I mean;

Miami and Cristobal - did an incredible job of using both recruiting and the portal/NIL and now have a playoff bound AC champ level squad that blew the doors off an in state rival led by a coach who joined Florida at the same time. 

Florida and Billy Napier - did not take advantage of NIL and the portal when he arrived.  Tried to rely solely on his recruiting prowess and now in year 3, they're ******* terrible and in abyss and he will be fired in season.  I'm honestly not sure who can pull them out of and as an Alum, it's very depressing.  The only silver lining, is they recruited a top 3 QB and if they can retain him, could be the carrot for a Lane Kiffin type hire.

FSU and Norvell - hit lightening in the bottle through the portal, terrible recruiter, had a talented roster who took advantage of a terrible schedule.  Instead of prioritize recruiting, they continue to use the portal and brought in a program killer in DJ U.  A year after doing what FSU does, take advantage of a cream puff schedule, they're entire strategy and Norvell is in question.  He called the most desperate game Ive ever seen from a HC last night.

And then, there is Georgia who barely uses the portal.  #1 recruiting team in the Nation year in year out.  And they will win their 3rd Nat'y in 4 years, 100% guaranteed. 

• Upvote 3