JD finally delivers, the OLine is elite

Rhg1084

When I try to assess Rodgers abilities/liabilities playing at 40 yrs old, Brady is the first QB I think of because of their similar ages. The first comparison has to be what Brady's OL did to keep their "limited mobility" QB healthy to be able to play all the way to 43 yrs old. I don't believe Brady was really so much more mobile than AR, but his OL provided him with enough pass protection for him not to have a career-ending injury, which allowed him to continue playing and to win 2 Superbowls at 41 & 43 years old.

AR's 2.5-second average release time definitely is helping out our OL to keep him from getting sacked too much. Brady somehow (after he turned 40 yrs old) developed an even had a faster average release time than AR currently has.

So at this point every week that AR stays healthy and is able to keep playing I have to give credit to our OL.

However, when it comes to run blocking with our OL that is a far different story, and because of that, I can't call them "elite" by any stretch of the imagination . . . at least not from what I have seen from our first 2 games, but hopefully that will start to change Thursday against Miami.

• Upvote 1

OL play has never been at more of a premium in the NFL than now.

In particular, it's on guys who can pass protect in a league that wants to promote the passing game and explosive downfield plays.

Watching these games around the league, you've got EDGE rushers wreaking total havoc.

4.5 sacks in one game 🤣 for Aidan Hutchinson vs the Bucs' scrub / swing RT.

The Ravens are 0-2 chiefly because their OL can't pass protect and the run blocking is also a work in progress.

Maxx Crosby wrecked the game against them.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on these points.

Hall is running at a 3.9 YPC, Allen is running at a 5.1 YPC.  Rule of small sample size applies, of course, but Allen has been the superior running so far this year.

In no way am I advocating for replacing Hall as the #1 RB.  I'm one of this site's biggest (and longest) Hall supporters.

We simply disagree on the utilization, and predictability, of the rushing O (and O overall) so far.  My belief is we could stand to see less predictability leading to more productivity for both Hall and Allen.  This is a criticism primarily of the O-Co.

Patience indeed, as the O-line clearly still needs time as well to get on the same page and run block at a high level.  

OMG Hall has all of 30 carries and Allen has 8 and you’re quoting their stats as if they’re meaningful?  Stats if you’re not going to apply context are meaningless.  No one anywhere believes Allen is the “superior runner” at this point and that’s all that counts after 2 games and a handful of carry’s 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

When I try to assess Rodgers abilities/liabilities playing at 40 yrs old, Brady is the first QB I think of because of their similar ages. The first comparison has to be what Brady's OL did to keep their "limited mobility" QB healthy to be able to play all the way to 43 yrs old. I don't believe Brady was really so much more mobile than AR, but his OL provided him with enough pass protection for him not to have a career-ending injury, which allowed him to continue playing and to win 2 Superbowls at 41 & 43 years old.

AR's 2.5-second average release time definitely is helping out our OL to keep him from getting sacked too much. Brady somehow (after he turned 40 yrs old) developed an even had a faster average release time than AR currently has.

So at this point every week that AR stays healthy and is able to keep playing I have to give credit to our OL.

However, when it comes to run blocking with our OL that is a far different story, and because of that, I can't call them "elite" by any stretch of the imagination . . . at least not from what I have seen from our first 2 games, but hopefully that will start to change Thursday against Miami.

I agree, but I think the biggest problem with the run blocking has been Hackett's predictable play calling...run up the guy on 1st down, run up the gut on 2nd down, throw on 3rd down.  I think if the Jets starting passing to run, and perhaps using a short passing game to supplement or supplant the run for a game or two, it will start opening up things for the rushing attack.

With Hackett as OC do the Jets even have any creative or trick plays in their playbook?  I'd bet that even when players open up the playbook on their IPad, dust and moths fly out.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Yes, we do finally have the core of the OL, but as I pointed out in an earlier post, AVT may not be with the team past next season.  I'd also rather have bookend OTs and then one IOL as the core, not one OT and two IOL.  IOL are easier to find in FA and can be drafted in the middle and lower rounds and developed.  With OTs, one mostly has to get them in the first 2 rounds.

The Jets are not going to be able to be big players in FA next offseason, so to keep their OL strong they are going to have to do one of three things at RT: 1) re-sign Moses; 2) draft a RT early; 3) pray that Warren or Mitchell finally develop.  You know as well as I that even if Fashanu plays close to Smith's level, if the RT is the weak link on the OL, opposing teams can put their best pass rusher on that side, and our passing offense could come to a screeching halt.

I'm not killing JD, but if the Giants hadn't turned down his trade up proposal, things would be much worse, not only for this season, but going forward.  I get being excited about how the OL is playing this season in terms of pass protection.  It's been a long time since we've seen that from the Jets, but it's premature to say that the OL is fixed.  If both Smith and Moses go down at the same time, even if Fashanu plays at a high level, if Warren/Mitchell can't hack it at RT, the season could quickly go down the tubes.

my guess is that your last sentence would apply to many teams.

in fact, i would argue that the Jets would be in the best shape of those bad situations given they have a top 10 pick ready to go.

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2024 at 1:52 PM, JiFtheOracle said:

Landry was the only player to get a sack?  Interesting it was credited to the TipppYster.  One looked more to be a coverage sack and Rodgers kind of look behind him and gave up on the play.  I cant really remember the other, did the pressure come from the inside?

It was a stunt.  Landry came inside. More a mistake of who should pick up than getting beaten

• Upvote 1

I think these numbers show a couipe of things.    First, PFF doesn't mean sh*t because they were getting pushed around a bit before they went to the quick game.  The idea that Rodgers had all day back there is pretty far from reality.  Also, the fact that they all rated so highly just shows that the unit has to work together.  I'm sure those 5 guys did not all have such similar games.

• Upvote 2