Do The Jets Draft Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks In July?

YJF

The NFL's supplemental draft is in July and the biggest name in that draft is Virginia ILB/OLB Ahmad Brooks.

This player has amazing skills. All ACC/Butkus award finalist. He's 6'4 250, Has great strength and speed. Can cover, tackle and rush the passer. Plus, He played in The 3-4 with Al Groh. Before all of his off the field troubles, Many considered him to be a lock first rounder, some had him in The top half of the draft. He's been compared in the past to Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor. That's a little crazy but he is super talented.

He's going to get drafted. The problem is his character. Is he the kind of player that The Jets would be willing to give up a day one pick in 07 for?

He was dismissed off The Virginia football team in the spring for undisclosed reasons. Reports are that he failed a drug test. What kind of player and teammate was he at Virginia?... Al Groh knows and his opinion could make a difference as to whether, The Jets consider drafting him.

I think 3-4 teams are going to take a deep look at him. Teams like The Browns, Chargers, Jets, Cowboys and Pats but he can just as easily fit in to a 4-3 defense. I think a team will give up at the very least a 4th rounder for him in July's supplemental draft. Will that team be The Jets?

YJF, I'm not sure. In addition to the obvious off the field problems, he has a degenerative knee condition. Basically, he could have a long NFL career if the knee holds up, but it would not surprise anyone if he had to retire in his early 20's because he has the knees of someone much older.

His knee problems are compounded by his weight proplems -- looks like a DT playing LB at times. When his weight balloons, he looks slow and akward -- as he did in 2005.

Attitude wise, he's so uncoachable Al Groh did everything in his power to kick him off the team. According to insiders, Groh wanted him gone well before this spring.

With all the negatives, he was so dominate as a sophomore in 2004, that teams will look real close....And if A.J Nicholson can drafted, why not Brooks?

YJF, I'm not sure. In addition to the obvious off the field problems, he has a degenerative knee condition. Basically, he could have a long NFL career if the knee holds up, but it would not surprise anyone if he had to retire in his early 20's because he has the knees of someone much older.

His knee problems are compounded by his weight proplems -- looks like a DT playing LB at times. When his weight balloons, he looks slow and akward -- as he did in 2005.

Attitude wise, he's so uncoachable Al Groh did everything in his power to kick him off the team. According to insiders, Groh wanted him gone well before this spring.

With all the negatives, he was so dominate as a sophomore in 2004, that teams will look real close....And if A.J Nicholson can drafted, why not Brooks?

Good post R44. Sounds like a player that The Jets will pass on. Will Brooks have a pro day? Has that been scheduled? I heard that he was working out hard to get ready for the supplemental draft. Hired some big time trainers.

forgive me for asking but what is a supplement draft?

The NFL holds a supplemental draft yearly for college players who were not eligible for The NFL draft in april.

Thank goodness for YJF....we finally have a football thread.

How many LBers are we gonna have on our roster?? I love talented LBers, don't get me wrong...especially when we'll see the 3-4 alot, but the Jets are committed to alot of new blood at LBer already this year.

IF Groh cut the guy for a drug test or off the field issues, I don't see much hope for the guy ending up here. Groh not exactly Parcells or Beli, but I imagine his opinion carries enough weight to put the kabosh on taking him.

:cheers: , YJF.

Thank goodness for YJF....we finally have a football thread.

How many LBers are we gonna have on our roster?? I love talented LBers, don't get me wrong...especially when we'll see the 3-4 alot, but the Jets are committed to alot of new blood at LBer already this year.

IF Groh cut the guy for a drug test or off the field issues, I don't see much hope for the guy ending up here. Groh not exactly Parcells or Beli, but I imagine his opinion carries enough weight to put the kabosh on taking him.

:cheers: , YJF.

You are probably right Shadetree. It's a shame because Brooks is an awesome talent. When he came to Virginia. There was so much hype surrounding him and he played very well on the field. If he has great workouts. His stock will go up. Someone out there is going to take a shot at him. He's too gifted to be overlooked.

You are probably right Shadetree. It's a shame because Brooks is an awesome talent. When he came to Virginia. There was so much hype surrounding him and he played very well on the field. If he has great workouts. His stock will go up. Someone out there is going to take a shot at him. He's too gifted to be overlooked.

Are there any other players we might consider in the supplemental draft, YJF? Bit?

Brooks would be an excellent pick up and would solidify the depth at LB all across the board. Unfortunately, I don't think Mangini will be targeting a guy with a troublesome past.

The NFL holds a supplemental draft yearly for college players who were not eligible for The NFL draft in april.

how do you not become eligible for the draft???

are there any decent O-LINEMEN available in the supp. draft??

O.k. help me out a little. If we draft someone in the supplemental draft we will lose the spot in next years draft. example: If we took Brooks in the first round we would lose our first round pick next year? And what position would we get in the supplemental draft? Does it go by the order of this years draft?

O.k. help me out a little. If we draft someone in the supplemental draft we will lose the spot in next years draft. example: If we took Brooks in the first round we would lose our first round pick next year? And what position would we get in the supplemental draft? Does it go by the order of this years draft?

I'm not quite sure, but I believe the supplemental rds are in the same order as this years draft. I think the rounds are "on the clock" so to speak, and most teams let their picks go without using them, unless there is a real stud lurking. In that case, teams gamble by letting their picks go unused until the 3rd or 4th supplemental, then grab their guy. If they take the player in the 3rd supplemental, they lose their 3rd round 2007 pick in the real draft.

I think Dave Brown(NYG):P was taken in the 1st rd supplemental. Last year, I think the Eagles took a highly touted DT, I dont remember the name or the round.

I'm not quite sure, but I believe the supplemental rds are in the same order as this years draft. I think the rounds are "on the clock" so to speak, and most teams let their picks go without using them, unless there is a real stud lurking. In that case, teams gamble by letting their picks go unused until the 3rd or 4th supplemental, then grab their guy. If they take the player in the 3rd supplemental, they lose their 3rd round 2007 pick in the real draft.

so you lose your 2007 picks ..wow..thats interesting

Archived