New stadium - 25 million naming rights

faba

<H1 class=red>Giants-Jets: Stadium's name might fetch $25M

</H1>

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The Giants and Jets will seek a deal worth as much as $25 million a year for the naming rights on their new shared stadium in the Meadowlands, according to two industry executives with direct knowledge of the financial plans for the facility.

Such a deal would be the largest stadium sponsorship in the world and serve as a major step forward in financing what is expected to be a $1 billion project.

xReliant Stadium in Houston is the current standard-bearer in the U.S. market with a $10 million-a-year naming rights deal. In Europe, Emirates Airlines is paying $12 million a year to put its name on a soccer stadium in London.

Industry experts said yesterday that the Giants and Jets were right to assume their building would produce the most valuable naming rights deal ever.

"If there is a market at that level then it would have to be at this stadium because of the uniqueness of the facility," said Frank Vuono, principal at 16W Marketing in Lyndhurst, which made a pitch to the football teams to sell the naming rights but lost. "You're talking about two NFL teams in the same facility in the biggest market in the country."

Alice McGillion, a spokesman for the Giants and Jets stadium venture, denied the teams had pegged the potential value of the naming rights deal.

"We're just starting the process of selecting a naming rights partner, and we have never publicly stated what we think the value of those rights are," she said. "Anybody who is talking about the figure is speaking in ignorance."

Last week the football teams selected Los Angeles-based Wasserman Media to handle the naming rights deal. Jeff Knapple, president of Wasserman Media's marketing division, has played a key role in the naming rights deals for Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia and the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The football teams can also sell the naming rights to the entire Meadowlands sports complex, though it is too early to tell whether those naming rights would be included in a deal to put a corporate name on the stadium.

Hearings on the proposed stadium have been scheduled for next month. The teams want to break ground on the stadium next spring and complete the project for the 2010 season.

I think they will definitely break 20 million. It would be nice if they got 25 million and didn't bone us over on PSLs. But that is not going to happen. They will get the money and still screw over the little guy.

Whatever they get the ticket holders will have to ante up much money. For a brand new stadium as equal partners The Jets better have some say over naming rights-lets not pick a co going bankrupt

The PSL's in Houston are higher than that.

You should probably expect at least double of that depending where you seats are located.

Well you are right but it shouldn't be that way. With double the income from 2 sets of season tickets, double the naming rights....they don't need that much.

That being said, they will still charge it.

Well you are right but it shouldn't be that way. With double the income from 2 sets of season tickets, double the naming rights....they don't need that much.

That being said, they will still charge it.

Come on Max, don't be so naive.

Even if they get $50 mil a year for naming rights, you will still see PSL's.

PSL's are a friggn' cash cow for teams and that money goes straight to the bottom line with no expenses.

Start saving.

Not really. (see below)

BZ

If you averaged out the PSL's for Reliant Stadium, they would be higher.

Look at some of the prices for the lower level seats.:eek:

Also, the Texans sell seans tickets in the upper level corners of the stadium without any PSL's at all.

PSL's are a friggn' cash cow for teams and that money goes straight to the bottom line with no expenses.

Start saving.

PSLs are not bad, HIGH PSLs are bad.

PSLs give you the option to sell in the open market and also keep yearly ticket prices lower.

The Pats didn't go with PSLs and that is why they have..

A) highest FCI (Fan Cost Index) - 22% Higher than any other team!

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nfl_05.cfm

B) a $2,500 - $5,000 season ticket transfer fee.

http://www.patsfans.com/kevin/display_story.php?story_id=2700

For many years, loyal season ticket holders have run into a huge mess when the account holder of standing either dies, breaks up with your sister, or moves to Bolivia. It should also be pointed out that the Patriots do not let the account holder put their tickets into a will. To remedy this problem, and for between $2,000 and $5,000 per ticket, the Patriots will now allow a transfer of season tickets.

The $2,000 today will save you from paying it later.

BZ

Start saving.

Reread my post. I agreed with you. I said it shouldn't be that way. But it will be.

Depending on how big the # is my days as a season ticket holder might be over. Not sure what the threshold is exactly.

BZ it's one thing to be optimistic

you are engaging in wishful thinking

this is NY nothing is reasonably priced, that includes PSLs you are saying 500-1000 i say double that for a start.

I said "for my seats" which are upper tier, in the corner(ish). I don't think they will go much over $1,000 for the highest seats.

Not sure what my limit is in terms of PSLs, but right now about $5,000 combined seems about the breaking point.

The Jets/Giants should consider:

- Telling the ticket holders EARLY to allow for us to save (2 year notice would be nice)

- Providing a multi-year payment plan

- Providing a tie-in with a 0% APR credit card (Jets Mastercard Anyone).

BZ

I said "for my seats" which are upper tier, in the corner(ish). I don't think they will go much over $1,000 for the highest seats.

Not sure what my limit is in terms of PSLs, but right now about $5,000 combined seems about the breaking point.

The Jets/Giants should consider:

- Telling the ticket holders EARLY to allow for us to save (2 year notice would be nice)

- Providing a multi-year payment plan

- Providing a tie-in with a 0% APR credit card (Jets Mastercard Anyone).

BZ

I have Mezz seats. There is no way I can justify more than 5 grand for my 2 seats. Not sure I would renew even at that price. As is with parking and the seats the yearly nut is already over $2,100.

I mean, it is not a very storied franchise we are talking about here. Woody, keep your word, lol.

I have Mezz seats. There is no way I can justify more than 5 grand for my 2 seats. Not sure I would renew even at that price. As is with parking and the seats the yearly nut is already over $2,100.

I mean, it is not a very storied franchise we are talking about here. Woody, keep your word, lol.

Yeah, adding up all the costs can get pretty big.

1300 - Tickets (65 x 10 x 2)

400 - Tailgating (40 x 10)

150 - Parking (15 x 10)

105 - Tolls (3.5 x 3 x 10)

60 - Gas (3 x 2 x 10)

250 - Inside Eats (25 x 10)

2265 - Total

226.5 - Per Game

37.75 - Per Hour (6 hours per game including tailgating)

$50 per hour for a broadway play

$7 per hour for a movie

$45 oer hour for dinner

It all adds up.

BZ

Since I'm not a season ticket holder, but should be soon (I hope, only # 1500 or so on the waiting list) I'm not really familiar with the PSL's. I just never really cared since I wasn't close to even getting the season tickets. Anyway, is it just a one-time fee, per seat? I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but I just want to make sure.

Making the rich get richer...

Is it something that we the season ticket holders would have to pay? I'm just starting to pay for everything now that I'm 18 and told my dad it was wrong for him to pay for them since he only goes to about a game or two a year anymore. Am I going to have to pay something?

Since I'm not a season ticket holder, but should be soon (I hope, only # 1500 or so on the waiting list) I'm not really familiar with the PSL's. I just never really cared since I wasn't close to even getting the season tickets. Anyway, is it just a one-time fee, per seat? I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but I just want to make sure.

Yes it is a one time fee.

A formality actually. Much like a human oil change. You go to the office, they put on rubber gloves and ask you to bend over.

The end result is always: "You are a quart low. That will be $2,500".

Yeah, adding up all the costs can get pretty big.

1300 - Tickets (65 x 10 x 2)

400 - Tailgating (40 x 10)

150 - Parking (15 x 10)

105 - Tolls (3.5 x 3 x 10)

60 - Gas (3 x 2 x 10)

250 - Inside Eats (25 x 10)

2265 - Total

226.5 - Per Game

37.75 - Per Hour (6 hours per game including tailgating)

$50 per hour for a broadway play

$7 per hour for a movie

$45 oer hour for dinner

It all adds up.

BZ

My tickets are $95 each (yeah I know 335 is the best section ever, lol). And I paid the extra money for parking $25 in the prepaid lot.

It is probably costing me close to $300 per game. OUCH.

$25 Mil? If it's going to be JetNation.com Stadium, we'd better start burning up that PayPal button.

Be dialing, people.

If I had 26 million I would spend 25 of it on that. The story at home would go like this...honey we really don't need more than a million dollars anyhow!

For those of you on the waiting list now. Once they announce the

PSL's and the price of the season tickets you will climb up the waiting

list so fast you will get whip lash.

Well, I'm at 1513 (or 1533 I forget) but I figure it won't be too much longer. I joined during Kotite's second season. I figured everyone would be so frustrated with him they would give up. Then we got Parcells and we started winning again, so my jump up the list got a lot slower. I think I started out around 10k or so on the list.

Well, I'm at 1513 (or 1533 I forget) but I figure it won't be too much longer. I joined during Kotite's second season. I figured everyone would be so frustrated with him they would give up. Then we got Parcells and we started winning again, so my jump up the list got a lot slower. I think I started out around 10k or so on the list.

I'm at like 2530... I've only been on for like 4 years or so too. I think the length of our waiting list is overrated!

If Kotite had a 3rd year, you would have gotten tickets for it!

:P

I'm at like 2530... I've only been on for like 4 years or so too. I think the length of our waiting list is overrated!

The list got smaller with the $50 fee. They wanted to see how real the list was.

The list got smaller with the $50 fee. They wanted to see how real the list was.

I like the $50 fee. Lots of people bitch and moan about it. But A) it cuts down on the phonies and B) that money eventually goes toward your tickets when the time comes. Plus, that $50 can more than pay for itself if you buy enough crap at Jets Shop for the 25% off they give you! :cheers:

Archived