When should the Jets name the starting QB

SeniorFlaJet

I am in agreement as most are with the way Mangini is handling the team

at this point, except for one aspect and its a biggie.

I never was happy with that open competition with the 4 QBs.

Part of training camp is to get a chemistry with both the o and D.

Even more with the offense as there are more question marks with this

unit.

I think that prior to thefirst preseason game Mangini has to decide on who

will be the starting QB for the Jets. He has a little less than two weeks

to evaluate the 4 guys and make a decision. It can't be that difficult. They

are taping each one every day and evaluating them.

How can there be chemistry when you have 4 different guys almost

every day with a different cadence calling signals. No wonder there

are offsides and penalty flags being thrown.

I don't care who the QB of the jets will be. There is nothing i can do

about it. But lets get someone in there so they can go forward and

be ready for the season. We have seen a few seasons ago what

happens if a QB doesn't get prepared for the season.

And that goes for the RB also. When is Curtis going to be able to practice.

If he can't do it let Mangini make a decision and let that player

work with the first team. I could also see them using two guys at this

position in different scenarios.

The makeup of the Jets QB SITUATION dictate that it be a competition,so right now i have no problem with it.If however a clear cut starter and depth chart is not inplace following the 1st preseason game,then i will have a problem with the way it's being handled.

As the 1st preseason game gets closer you will see the competition break into 2 groups. Chad vs Ramsey for the starting job and Bolly and Clemens for the 3 spot.

Obviously Clemens is not getting cut. So unless Ramsey lays an egg or Chad gets hurt Bolly is gone.

The thing about this is Chad can't handle a ton of reps at this point. So it isn't a bad thing because they are breaking Ramsey in slowly. When the preseaon games start I think the rotation will be a little less cloudy.

The makeup of the Jets QB SITUATION dictate that it be a competition,so right now i have no problem with it.If however a clear cut starter and depth chart is not inplace following the 1st preseason game,then i will have a problem with the way it's being handled.

Tin, I had the exact same opinion talking on the phone with Senior today...must be no later than the first preseason game. The QB and the line need to jell by the regular season opener. Especially when you have two rookies learning the system. The quicker they get in sinc, they (O line) will not look like a Chinese fire drill as they probably do right now getting barked at with 4 different QB styles.

Some teams know their starter right now, some teams have a competition going with two guys, we have four which makes it even tougher.

What say you guys...what do you think a reasonable timetable is to get this offense ready for the opener...you can't pussy foot too much on this.

Knowing Mangini, it will be 12:57 PM the day of the opener against the Titans.

And that's exactly what it should be.

Why on earth would you want to give the Titans weeks (or months) to prepare to face a certain quarterback? I hope whoever is starting doesn't get named until a couple days before the season starts.

Tin, I had the exact same opinion talking on the phone with Senior today...must be no later than the first preseason game. The QB and the line need to jell by the regular season opener. Especially when you have two rookies learning the system. The quicker they get in sinc, they (O line) will not look like a Chinese fire drill as they probably do right now getting barked at with 4 different QB styles.

Some teams know their starter right now, some teams have a competition going with two guys, we have four which makes it even tougher.

What say you guys...what do you think a reasonable timetable is to get this offense ready for the opener...you can't pussy foot too much on this.

Agree completely. I don't care if it's announced to the world, but they should know internally who it's going to be. The reality is, unless they start closing practices to the public, everyone's going to know who is practicing with the first team anyway.

But the starting QB for game 1 hast to be taking the majority of the snaps (and not "50.1%") with the first offense.

As the 1st preseason game gets closer you will see the competition break into 2 groups. Chad vs Ramsey for the starting job and Bolly and Clemens for the 3 spot.

Obviously Clemens is not getting cut. So unless Ramsey lays an egg or Chad gets hurt Bolly is gone.

The thing about this is Chad can't handle a ton of reps at this point. So it isn't a bad thing because they are breaking Ramsey in slowly. When the preseaon games start I think the rotation will be a little less cloudy.

I agree with Max here for the opening day starter Ramsey and Chad. If neither can handle it and the season is shot expect Clemens to get playing time

WEll then get ready to have a problem tin because i have read twice

now that he has been quoted that he won't pick the QB until deep into

the preseason.

In fact that is one of the reasons I started this thread. Should have

included that in the original.

WEll then get ready to have a problem tin because i have read twice

now that he has been quoted that he won't pick the QB until deep into

the preseason.

In fact that is one of the reasons I started this thread. Should have

included that in the original.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep this charade going on any longer than the 1st preseason game.Bollinger won't be the starter,and it's becoming quite apparent as camp progresses that Clemens needs time to catch up to the speed of the NFL.

Ramsey is up and down with the coaching staff ,and Pennnington is a huge ? due to his shoulder.As camp progresses,both Pennington and Ramsey will need to get the proper reps so they can be ready for the start of the season.By the 3rd Preseason game,one of the 2 should be entrenched as the starter for the 2006 opener.

Anything else is just messing with Mangini's legacy as the HC of the Jets in a town where the media will be all over him like stink on a skunk if this team struggles and it can be traced to the QB position directly.

I have no problem with the QB competition and it lasting all preseason. Everyone knows this is a rebuilding year. So what if the QB doesn't get as many reps as he normally would. Clemons should be starting next year, so it's a mute point. If there is a true open competition, then all deserve a fair shot at competing and 1 preseason game is not enough time.

Archived