Reality vs. Green Colored Glasses

LionelRichie

i have to admit that i wasn't as excited about this season as i have been in the past. probably because it was assumed this is a rebuilding year and the jets were really another 14 months from being competitive. then after reading some of the early camp reports i started thinking: maybe mangini's system defense will keep them in games; chad sounds like he is throwing well, could he revert to '02 form? can the rookies anchor the OL? the patriot superbowl teams weren't exactly made up of superstars. can mangini bring the same attention to detail, gameplanning, defensive system, and team first attitude to make this work?

todays NFL is marked by radical turnarounds so i started thinking why not the jets? why not now? the problem is that every training camp from around the nfl has the same camp reports and all of the fans have the same high hopes. are these high hopes homeristic optimism or does this team have a chance? there are basically no stars on the team, no RB, a weak armed QB, rookie OL, weak recieving corps, and coaching staff with virtually no experience.

all of the experts are picking the jets dead last in the afcE. some of them are picking the jets dead last in the nfl. i understand that rebuilding is a process not a quick fix but i can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, the jets have a chance this year. is that total blind homerisim or do they really have a chance?

New offensive and defensive playbooks means a lot of growing pains. Throw in a first time head coach, rookies up front and a banged up QB and it could be ugly early. I'm just hoping for steady improvement throughout the year providing something to build on next year. If all of the stars line up and we actually win more than we lose I'll be all the more happier.....

i have to admit that i wasn't as excited about this season as i have been in the past. probably because it was assumed this is a rebuilding year and the jets were really another 14 months from being competitive. then after reading some of the early camp reports i started thinking: maybe mangini's system defense will keep them in games; chad sounds like he is throwing well, could he revert to '02 form? can the rookies anchor the OL? the patriot superbowl teams weren't exactly made up of superstars. can mangini bring the same attention to detail, gameplanning, defensive system, and team first attitude to make this work?

todays NFL is marked by radical turnarounds so i started thinking why not the jets? why not now? the problem is that every training camp from around the nfl has the same camp reports and all of the fans have the same high hopes. are these high hopes homeristic optimism or does this team have a chance? there are basically no stars on the team, no RB, a weak armed QB, rookie OL, weak recieving corps, and coaching staff with virtually no experience.

all of the experts are picking the jets dead last in the afcE. some of them are picking the jets dead last in the nfl. i understand that rebuilding is a process not a quick fix but i can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, the jets have a chance this year. is that total blind homerisim or do they really have a chance?

They have a chance, I don't see why we can't get a few lucky bounces and pull out a winning season and possibly make the playoffs.

You may all go on you Jim Mora Sr. "playoffs" rant now but I'm sticking with it!

They have a chance, I don't see why we can't get a few lucky bounces and pull out a winning season and possibly make the playoffs.

You may all go on you Jim Mora Sr. "playoffs" rant now but I'm sticking with it!

it's so easy to be a homer isn't it. i can't help but think they are going to go 10-6 even though my better judgement thinks 6-10.

it's so easy to be a homer isn't it. i can't help but think they are going to go 10-6 even though my better judgement thinks 6-10.

I enjoy being a homer but no I don't think it's easy being one. I think it's much easier to just be a doom and gloom type fan and keep saying we suck here and there and we will lose, blah blah blah. I have seen some crap teams rise from a bad season and make some things happen and see no reason why we can't do the same. That is the reality.

To go the other route would make it very difficult for me to shell out X $'s and show up to 10 games a year and make it virtually impossible to scream my a$$ off at the games. Why bother watching/posting/reading if you think they are just going to suck anyway? In the immortal words of Walter Mathow: "Let them play!"

I think there is a big difference between saying the Jets are going to suck and the Jets are going to suffer some rebuilding pains. I have no problem shelling out the money and going to 10 games knowing the Jets are heading in the right direction, will be in shape and disciplined and well coached. As a a fan of the NFL the history dictates that the overhaul the Jets will be enduring is going to include a tough a year or two this being one of them. I am hopeful like everyone else and would LOVE to see a successful season but the facts are facts.. this team is lacking in overrall talent and gamebreakers and the staff has alot of learning to do.

I think there is a big difference between saying the Jets are going to suck and the Jets are going to suffer some rebuilding pains. I have no problem shelling out the money and going to 10 games knowing the Jets are heading in the right direction, will be in shape and disciplined and well coached. As a a fan of the NFL the history dictates that the overhaul the Jets will be enduring is going to include a tough a year or two this being one of them. I am hopeful like everyone else and would LOVE to see a successful season but the facts are facts.. this team is lacking in overrall talent and gamebreakers and the staff has alot of learning to do.

I am on the same page with you...it's going to be a patient time for Jet fans this season. Worst thing that could happen in my opinion is (from the grace of god), the Jets win their first four games and then say, lose the next eight in a row...fans will be going nuts.

This is why I would just love for Mangini to have them competitive in every game and surprise us with several wins and leave us looking forward to next season.

I am on the same page with you...it's going to be a patient time for Jet fans this season. Worst thing that could happen in my opinion is (from the grace of god), the Jets win their first four games and then say, lose the next eight in a row...fans will be going nuts.

This is why I would just love for Mangini to have them competitive in every game and surprise us with several wins and leave us looking forward to next season.

I think you and 4h crew probably summed it up for me.

They can suffer rebuilding pains and still win enough games to get into the playoffs (or come close), history tells me that is also a possibility and until that light is shut off, that is what I'm hoping happens. In sum, I think we agree but I just happen to be a bigger hopeful homer.;)

That's a rough f'ing start to the season no doubt, but I still believe they can win some games come Sunday. Oh and CH, I'll make sure to have some large green Heinekens at the home opener tailgate against the Pats!

Raffy, CH Can't wait for the home opener. Also looking forward to the Giant Challenge.

Archived