JetNation Report Card

Maxman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the hell can the QB's be given a grade of B+?

Between the 3 of them, they were 18/29 for 91 yards.

That is an abverage of 3.1 yards per attempt.

That is just horrendous production from the QB position.

The Jets the first two games have been very conservative in the play calling- partly because of personnel-rookies and that is most likely how we will have to play

The Jets the first two games have been very conservative in the play calling- partly because of personnel-rookies and that is most likely how we will have to play

what's helping me understand what's going on a lot this summer faba are Jetcane's camp reports-the things they're working on are the things they're implementing into games-They haven't been running a lot of downfield passes yet and he thinks they are trying to get the OL to gel first-when he says they're running a lot of longer pass plays I'll expect to see them in the exhibition games-or..

my theory is maybe they are playing possom-sandbagging the opp into thinking we HAVE no long passes because our QB's are weak-armed and then we air it out against the Titans

what's helping me understand what's going on a lot this summer faba are Jetcane's camp reports-the things they're working on are the things they're implementing into games-They haven't been running a lot of downfield passes yet and he thinks they are trying to get the OL to gel first-when he says they're running a lot of longer pass plays I'll expect to see them in the exhibition games-or..

my theory is maybe they are playing possom-sandbagging the opp into thinking we HAVE no long passes because our QB's are weak-armed and then we air it out against the Titans

Everyone has to remember you never showcase all your variety of plays in preseason SoFlajets- the fact remains this team will have to try to win playing sound mostly conservative style of play.

this is PRESEASON. they are holding it close to the vest... wait till the home opener ...when we kick your patsies a$$ so bad that brady and company will be halfway up 95 before the last person is out of the meadowlands. :P

Everyone has to remember you never showcase all your variety of plays in preseason SoFlajets

Then why did the Jets show the reverse to Smith?

Unless he gets significant playing time, every time he enters a game, teams will be keying on the reverse.

Also, if you think the Jets can magically "turn on" a vertical passing game once the regular season starts, you are kidding yourself.

(I think I am going to be sick)

I agree with Tx. B- at best. Sacks, scrambles and very little production doesn't equal a B+.

BZ

All of the above to some extent, SFJ.

There have been a few long passes here and there, but mostly there have been reps of the plays we saw last night- quick outs while the WR or RB is still near the LOS. But you know, these guys are talented noungh to break a tackle and some serious YAC.

It's also easier on this new OL for the QB to take a 3 or 5 step drop, and not a 7 step.

I also disagree with most of the grades in the report card, and would also give the qbs a B- at best.

also everthing the Pats were throwing were 3-5 step drops

Brady and Cassel both looked in mid-season form last night.

Here are their combined stats:

29/40, 72.5%, 341 yards, 8.2 yards per attempt, 2 TD's 0 INT's.

No that is what real QB production looks like in the NFL.;)

Then why did the Jets show the reverse to Smith?

Unless he gets significant playing time, every time he enters a game, teams will be keying on the reverse.

Also, if you think the Jets can magically "turn on" a vertical passing game once the regular season starts, you are kidding yourself.

"Showing" a reverse in the preseason is a good thing. Like you said, every time he enters a game teams will be keying on the reverse. That's a good thing.

As for the vertical passing game, what worries me is they supposedly haven't even worked it into practice yet. That's not good. No way we just start airing it out over the next 3 weeks. On the bright side it means that the lack of deep balls weren't because of Penny's arm. Ramsey didn't have a completion over nine yards and nobody thinks he has a chicken arm.

You know why it's a B+?

No interceptions.

No turnovers.

Good drives were led down the field but penalities killed the drives.

18-29, 104 yards, TD is a good stat line THAT IS THE KIND OF OFFENSE WE RUN PEOPLE...especially in a win. A win knocks ya up a few notches. B- was my original but when you get a win, you move up. Especially when you don't the turn ball over at all.

You know why it's a B+?

No interceptions.

No turnovers.

Good drives were led down the field but penalities killed the drives.

18-29, 104 yards, TD is a good stat line THAT IS THE KIND OF OFFENSE WE RUN PEOPLE...especially in a win. A win knocks ya up a few notches. B- was my original but when you get a win, you move up. Especially when you don't the turn ball over at all.

If you base your B+ evaluation on that conservative style of play by the QB's, then the Jets will be in for a very long season on the offensive side of the football.

The number one priority of the QB position is to move the football team downfield and put points on the scoreboard.

In two games now, the Jets QB's have failed miserably in that area.

If you base your B+ evaluation on that conservative style of play by the QB's, then the Jets will be in for a very long season on the offensive side of the football.

The number one priority of the QB position is to move the football team downfield and put points on the scoreboard.

Penalities this week knocked them out of FG range in the 1st Q and last week there were penalities on the 1st drive and on the 2nd a fumble because Houston couldn't pick up a block. This week it was penalities and Baker couldn't pick up a block. That's what they need to improve on. Player out of the backfield protecting the QB's.

With the way we were running the ball,we didn't need our QB's to be airing it out.We needed our QBs to take care of the ball and convert on 3rd downs,we did a solid job on that front and that's why they got a solid grade.

I'd like to see us throw it down the field a bit more but there are two more preseason games to go.And there is the fact that we are a short to intermediate passing team,don't expect us to be balls to the walls once the season starts.

Brady and Cassel both looked in mid-season form last night.

Here are their combined stats:

29/40, 72.5%, 341 yards, 8.2 yards per attempt, 2 TD's 0 INT's.

No that is what real QB production looks like in the NFL.;)

Not all NFL teams have their QBs pumped up on steriods though.;)

Preseaon football is for continuity, timing, evaluation and situational football. Me thinks the Jets are in a for a long season. I could be wrong though....

TX: not sure you caught any of the Pats/Zona game last night. However, it's clear that the 4/3 is the way to go (Warren was a monster), Maroney is the REAL DEAL - what a frickin' one-two punch at RB! Bam Childress will be the new Troy Brown once Troy retires. :) Branch HAS to come back - it's no joke. Pats DO NOT have a number one receiver right now. Shoot - they may not have a real #2 either! BTW - did you see the four TE set? How does a team defend that in short yardage situations? Get used to these words: Touchdown Dillon.

As for the vertical passing game, what worries me is they supposedly haven't even worked it into practice yet. That's not good. No way we just start airing it out over the next 3 weeks. On the bright side it means that the lack of deep balls weren't because of Penny's arm. Ramsey didn't have a completion over nine yards and nobody thinks he has a chicken arm.

Three weeks is plenty of time to put some new stuff into the plan and work on it. It looks like they will use the short passes and the running game to set up the long passing game. When the D starts creeping in, expect the ball to be launched to keep them honest and off-balance.

The staff seems to have a decent plan- it involves more than just saying "go long". They will take risks- calculated risks, like going for it on 4th down in certain spots, but this is not going to be Air Corryell. We dont have Fouts back there, so for a rival "fan" to talk about "horrendous" qb production shows very little understanding of where the program is at this point in time, compared to other teams that already have a system in place and a pro-bowler at qb.

Three weeks is plenty of time to put some new stuff into the plan and work on it. It looks like they will use the short passes and the running game to set up the long passing game. When the D starts creeping in, expect the ball to be launched to keep them honest and off-balance.

The staff seems to have a decent plan- it involves more than just saying "go long". They will take risks- calculated risks, like going for it on 4th down in certain spots, but this is not going to be Air Corryell. We dont have Fouts back there, so for a rival "fan" to talk about "horrendous" qb production shows very little understanding of where the program is at this point in time, compared to other teams that already have a system in place and a pro-bowler at qb.

Good post Jetcane-our team does not have the players to air it out and sling the ball all over the field- you fit your system with the talent and capabilities of your players and not the other way around

Penalities this week knocked them out of FG range in the 1st Q and last week there were penalities on the 1st drive and on the 2nd a fumble because Houston couldn't pick up a block. This week it was penalities and Baker couldn't pick up a block. That's what they need to improve on. Player out of the backfield protecting the QB's.

124, with all due respect, those are just excuses for the poor production by the Jets QB's in the first two games.

Also, I think your criteria is a bit flawed in your evaluation QB performance. You place entiretly too much emphasis on fumbles/INT's (effeciency) instead of points/yardage (production).

Would you agree that the QB's three most important indicators are:

1). Points

2) Yardage/TOP

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's)

To take that one step further, each of these areas should be weighted. To me (and this can be open to debate), I place the following percentage of importance in each of the areas:

1). Points 50%

2) Yardage/TOP 40%

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's) 10%

My reasoning behind this is if your QB is effective in areas 1 and 2, the 3rd area won't hurt you that much. Also QB's that produce points and yardage almost always toss a few INT's in doing so.

The only way #3 becomes important is if a team has a top 5 defense to offset the need for points and yardage. That would apply to very few teams in the NFL, and certainly not the Jets.

So using this criteria, here is how I would evalute the performance of the Jets QB's for the game last night:

1). Points D-

2) Yardage/TOP D-

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's) A

Using the weighted percentages as a guide, the overall QB evaluation should have been a D+.

Good post Jetcane-our team does not have the players to air it out and sling the ball all over the field- you fit your system with the talent and capabilities of your players and not the other way around

I agree. I don't think the Jets should or will be a vertical passing offense, but there is a big difference between not concentrating on the deep passing game and NEVER attempting any deep passes. I'm just surprised and a little worried they haven't tried any yet.

I agree. I don't think the Jets should or will be a vertical passing offense, but there is a big difference between not concentrating on the deep passing game and NEVER attempting any deep passes. I'm just surprised and a little worried they haven't tried any yet.

Not really knowing who will be your QB has to have something to do with it also. I am not saying we will never throw deep but this team is not built to rely on that type of game. I have confidence that we will work those plays in noodle arm and all.

Preseaon football is for continuity, timing, evaluation and situational football. Me thinks the Jets are in a for a long season. I could be wrong though....

TX: not sure you caught any of the Pats/Zona game last night. However, it's clear that the 4/3 is the way to go (Warren was a monster), Maroney is the REAL DEAL - what a frickin' one-two punch at RB! Bam Childress will be the new Troy Brown once Troy retires. :) Branch HAS to come back - it's no joke. Pats DO NOT have a number one receiver right now. Shoot - they may not have a real #2 either! BTW - did you see the four TE set? How does a team defend that in short yardage situations? Get used to these words: Touchdown Dillon.

Garb, I caught the entire game last night.

Here are a couple quick observations:

I agree with you, without a 4th LB, the Pats will go with more 4/3 looks than ever before in the BB area.

Where the hell did Warren get his quickness? He just exploded off the ball all night.

After a good first game, Dillon went back to his stutter-stepping before hitting the hole last night. He is too slow to do that. If he can't get through the hole immediately, he'll be taken down at the LOS (just like last night).

It's only a matter of time before we see Maroney as the starter.

Gostkowski needs to get some height on his kick-offs. 3 times he kicked the ball into the end zone and the Cardinals still returned the ball out past the 30.

And how many friggn' times did Sterling Sharpe say the word "decisive" last night. He had to say it 100 friggn times.:yawn:

124, with all due respect, those are just excuses for the poor production by the Jets QB's in the first two games.

Also, I think your criteria is a bit flawed in your evaluation QB performance. You place entiretly too much emphasis on fumbles/INT's (effeciency) instead of points/yardage (production).

Would you agree that the QB's three most important indicators are:

1). Points

2) Yardage/TOP

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's)

To take that one step further, each of these areas should be weighted. To me (and this can be open to debate), I place the following percentage of importance in each of the areas:

1). Points 50%

2) Yardage/TOP 40%

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's) 10%

My reasoning behind this is if your QB is effective in areas 1 and 2, the 3rd area won't hurt you that much. Also QB's that produce points and yardage almost always toss a few INT's in doing so.

The only way #3 becomes important is if a team has a top 5 defense to offset the need for points and yardage. That would apply to very few teams in the NFL, and certainly not the Jets.

So using this criteria, here is how I would evalute the performance of the Jets QB's for the game last night:

1). Points D-

2) Yardage/TOP D-

3) Turnovers (Fumble/INT's) A

Using the weighted percentages as a guide, the overall QB evaluation should have been a D+.

I can agree those are the 3 biggest but you also have to include that these guys all together barely have 2 seasons worth of starts in the NFL...they're not that greatly experienced either and for the talent that each has they played pretty well against a team that has a lot secondary depth and loves to come after the QB.

Yardage and TOP were bigger then a D- warrent. Points I can agree with a D-...maybe a D however.

I'll give it a C+ or a B-, instead of a B+

The Jets had 91 yards passing the entire game.

Brady threw for over 100 yards by the 5:00 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

we weren't throwing in the 2nd half-it's a case of stats not telling the story-we were in a running mode trying to kill the clock

The Jets had 91 yards passing the entire game.

Brady threw for over 100 yards by the 5:00 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

104 passing yards.

The Jets don't run the Patriots offense. We run a dink and dunk...you should know this Mr. I'm obsessed with the Jets.

The Jets had 216 yards rushing last night and a 5 ypc average. If they manage that in every regular season game, I'll take my chances. And btw, thats not too bad for a rbbc.

The passing game will not come together with CP not getting PT and the merry go round of qbs that we are all debating. At some point, the starter must get the starter reps and the backup the backup reps. Then I think we will see some more progress in the passing game.

The Jets had 216 yards rushing last night and a 5 ypc average. If they manage that in every regular season game, I'll take my chances. And btw, thats not too bad for a rbbc.

The passing game will not come together with CP not getting PT and the merry go round of qbs that we are all debating. At some point, the starter must get the starter reps and the backup the backup reps. Then I think we will see some more progress in the passing game.

I sure hope that is the case, but it still seems a little late to add ANY vertical component to the passing game. Then again, this team is obviously a work in progress.

Archived