Perfect Game Question?

PatsFanTX

A pitcher retires the first 26 batters.

He is 0-2 on the 27th batter when he hits a foul pop-up behind home plate.

The catcher drops the pop-up and is charged with an error.

The next pitch, the batter strikes out.

Is this a perfect game or does the error make it null and void?

Nah ....That would still be a perfect game IMO as the batter did not reach FIRST BASE via the error.

I could be wrong but don't think so.

Tx ,please stay off the BB forum as Pennington and Herm are never discussed here. :wink:

Good question though.

Not a perfect game

Perfect game

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Since 1991, a perfect game has been defined by Major League Baseball as a game in which a pitcher pitches a complete game victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposition player reaches first base. In short, the pitcher cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batters, or any other baserunners for any reason, even if they are thrown out trying for extra bases. By definition, such games must also be shutouts. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, the pitcher must be backed up by a solid defense to pitch a perfect game. However, an error which does not allow a baserunner, such as a misplayed foul ball, may occur in a perfect game.

Several games have, heartbreakingly, not qualified under this revised definition. Several shortened games featured no baserunners by one team, and there have been two games in which a team reached first base only in extra innings.

A perfect game is widely regarded as the pinnacle of pitching performance, and is one of the most difficult achievements in baseball or indeed any sport. It is the masterpiece of a pitcher's career and, in Major League Baseball, places that pitcher in exceptionally elite company. In fact, it is so rare (and difficult) that luck, as much as skill, plays an enormous role; there have been many great pitchers who have never pitched a perfect game and a few otherwise forgettable pitchers who have. Over the past 129 years of Major League Baseball history, there have only been 17 perfect games; the two from the 19th century, at a time when the pitching distance was only 45 feet, are often not included in lists.

I would have to think that it is still a perfect game.

The perfect game is the PITCHER"S stat in not allowing anyone to reach base. In this case, no one reached and the error was one of omission on teh catcher's part, and had nothing to do with teh pitcher allowing a baserunner.

I know one instance where Babe Ruth started a game, walked the first batter, got ill and was relieved and the base runner was thrown out on a steal attempt, and retired the next 26 men in order.

He was awarded a Perfect game

I would have to think that it is still a perfect game.

The perfect game is the PITCHER"S stat in not allowing anyone to reach base. In this case, no one reached and the error was one of omission on teh catcher's part, and had nothing to do with teh pitcher allowing a baserunner.

I know one instance where Babe Ruth started a game, walked the first batter, got ill and was relieved and the base runner was thrown out on a steal attempt, and retired the next 26 men in order.

He was awarded a Perfect game

That would not count as a perfect game. If someone touches first it isn't perfection.

Here is the list of who has thrown them:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piperf.shtml

You said it. JonE is like death and taxes! You can always count on him to come through.

Hey Jackass PussE

If I'm like death and taxes, you surely are like the corn in my dookie

Just.... one flush and lets be gone with you...okay PussE

Hey BoSawxPussEgirlE

I was i New York this weekend...went to a few games

Can you tell us why you are such a PussE, and wouldn't meet me for a drink

I think everyone here wants you and I to meet

I'm coming back..have the weekend season ticket pass....maybe next time you can meet me at Stans for a round....I'll buy

Whatcha say, PussE?

I dont live anywhere near NYC, dude...WTF do I care where you said you meet me?

Do you really wanna grab a beer...or do you wanna throw down? I feel like Chris Matthews to your Zell Miller.

Or are you trying to deflect away the criticism on this thread directed at you for opening your big mouth and being WRONG as usual?

Do you really wanna grab a beer...or do you wanna throw down? ?

Throw down with you? Why would I want to do that. You talk so tough, you'd kick my ass

You speak like such a tough guy on this board, i'd just like to buy you a beer.

Can't two adversaries sit and have a beer?

Archived