Cimini article -Martin may give it up

faba

Martin hints career may be over

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Curtis Martin is eligible to return to practice but ailing knee has put star running back's career in jeopardy. Curtis Martin is supposed to start practicing in two or three weeks, but he may never step on the field again.

In a 10-minute interview yesterday at his locker, Martin seemed conflicted on whether to resume his career. At one point, the Jets' injured running back talked about returning to practice and winning the scout-team player-of-the-week award, but he also acknowledged for the first time that he's mulling retirement because of his surgically repaired right knee.

Martin was eligible to begin practicing this week, but friends say he wanted to take an extra two weeks to weigh his options. He confirmed that he's soliciting advice from others because "sometimes you need eyes outside your own," and it's believed people in his inner circle are urging him to retire.

The future Hall of Famer, 33, sounded like he knows the end is approaching.

"The hardest part about this deal is that I can't just will myself to do things right now," Martin said. "I have to be smart and that's what I'm trying to do."

Martin admitted he hasn't tested his knee by cutting on it. That, he said, is a concern - ominous words from a player who never has revealed vulnerability. He also said it's not a given he will return to practice during the three-week window for players on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

"'Definitely' is not a word I'm going to use," he said. "'Hopefully' is the word that I will use. You can't have anything etched in stone in this situation."

Martin is expected to start practicing Nov. 1 at the earliest (the Jets' bye week), according to Eric Mangini. If he doesn't start by Nov. 8, Martin is ineligible to play for the rest of the season.

Once he begins practice, the Jets will have another three weeks to make the decision (if Martin hasn't made it by then). They can add him to the roster or place him on injured reserve, ending his season - and, in all likelihood, his career.

Out of respect for Martin, the club appears willing to give him the opportunity to practice. Why the two-week delay? After 10 months of rehab, it's hard to imagine that another two weeks will make a difference.

"I think another two weeks will help us make a wiser decision," Martin said.

Martin's trademark bravado was missing. In past seasons, he used mind games to help him overcome injuries, convincing himself to block out pain. His longstanding philosophy with injuries is to play until he crosses the "stupidity" line.

"I'm probably on that borderline of stupidity," said Martin, 10 months removed from surgery. "I have to be honest with myself."

Martin claimed he's "running a little better," but apparently not at full speed. He admitted "the one thing I was concerned about was making the cuts. Once you get out there, instincts take over, and I haven't been put in that situation, so I don't know how it will turn out."

Martin conceded he may never play again.

"If that ends up being the situation, I'm sure I'll make peace with it," he said. "But until that is a reality, my mind won't make peace with it."

Martin's crosstown counterpart, Tiki Barber, appears intent on retiring on his own terms, healthy and still productive. Martin supported Barber's decision.

"I think every NFL player's dream is to go out on your own terms," Martin said. "But sometimes it doesn't happen like that."

When Martin returns to the practice field - if he returns - he intends to make quite a statement. "My No. 1 goal," he said, "is getting the scout player of the week." It would be a humble, yet poignant start to his comeback - if it gets that far.

Canizzaro's article must've shorted out his laptop due to the salinity of his tears.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202006/sports/jets/running_a_delay_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

Look, again, he's been a productive player here. However 33/34 year old running backs don't produce-period. For the 456th time, Smith, Payton, Harris and Riggins couldn't, and Martin isn't as good as any of them. There's no reason to think he'll suddenly outperform NFL history in unprecedented fashion. And they're paying him a king's ransom, he'll never produce to justify it and his selfishness in 2003 and 2004 (combined with an idiot HC who catered to Martin at the expense of the franchise)probably cost this franchise a decent back in Jordan.

At least we can console ourselves with all of those signature games when Martin, the warrior!, took over a playoff game and ran it down the opponent's throat on the way to those Super Bowl championships. RIGHT?

Canizzaro's article must've shorted out his laptop due to the salinity of his tears.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202006/sports/jets/running_a_delay_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

Look, again, he's been a productive player here. However 33/34 year old running backs don't produce-period. For the 456th time, Smith, Payton, Harris and Riggins couldn't, and Martin isn't as good as any of them. There's no reason to think he'll suddenly outperform NFL history in unprecedented fashion. And they're paying him a king's ransom, he'll never produce to justify it and his selfishness in 2003 and 2004 (combined with an idiot HC who catered to Martin at the expense of the franchise)probably cost this franchise a decent back in Jordan.

At least we can console ourselves with all of those signature games when Martin, the warrior!, took over a playoff game and ran it down the opponent's throat on the way to those Super Bowl championships. RIGHT?

You're all class there Bugg, all Class

What a f-ing Jerkoff

Wow, the hostility.

So we should bring an old hurt running back who's hoarding cap cash from the Jets because...? Somebody explain. The NFL cap precludes paying old and unproductive players. And there's no "Larry Bird" exception. So the point of brining him back on the active roster is ...what?

Want to give him a day, have a halftime ceremony, retire his number, knock yourself out. But the guy never won anything that mattered. In big game he almost always came up small.

If you look at the baseball board, we have a host of threads about A-Fraud not getting it done in the playoffs. And I suspect Carlos Beltran is about to get some of the same treatment. What's the difference, other than Martin was a nice guy?

Where's Savage when you need him?

Wow, the hostility.

So we should bring an old hurt running back who's hoarding cap cash from the Jets because...? Somebody explain. The NFL cap precludes paying old and unproductive players. And there's no "Larry Bird" exception. So the point of brining him back on the active roster is ...what?

Want to give him a day, have a halftime ceremony, retire his number, knock yourself out. But the guy never won anything that mattered. In big game he almost always came up small.

If you look at the baseball board, we have a host of threads about A-Fraud not getting it done in the playoffs. And I suspect Carlos Beltran is about to get some of the same treatment. What's the difference, other than Martin was a nice guy?

Where's Savage when you need him?

I SERIOUSLY douby ANYONE is suggesting Martin come back and start..

that would be silly based on obvious injury/age factor.

Would I object to him being on roster as 40th man IF HE IS HEALTHY and maybe get in afew games,, I donbt care IF WE ARE ELIMINTED FROM PLAYOFFS,, until that time however I donbt want him on roster

I SERIOUSLY douby ANYONE is suggesting Martin come back and start..

that would be silly based on obvious injury/age factor.

Would I object to him being on roster as 40th man IF HE IS HEALTHY and maybe get in afew games,, I donbt care IF WE ARE ELIMINTED FROM PLAYOFFS,, until that time however I donbt want him on roster

:yeahthat:

(except I do believe some suggest he come back and start, with all the never-bet-against-Martin stuff)

Calm down there Joey-

No.

Seriously, those people can go **** themselves for all I care. Curtis Martin has played hurt numerous time for this franchise. You think LaMont Jordan or I don't even know who Curtis' back-up was before Jordan, would've done half of what Curtis did when he was running on a bum ankle or 2 bum ankles numerous times? Those people honestly believe that? They're ****ing tools if they do. Curtis Martin is the 4th all time leading rusher in NFL history, he has done something that only the great Barry Sanders has MATCHED. **** you all if you don't like Curtis Martin, you show no respect towards one of the greatest players to ever play for this franchise. This man since coming here in 98 has worked his balls off for this organization and to say we're better off with a rookie or Kevan Barlow is just stupidity. They both seek out help from Curtis Martin because they know he's better then them in a ****ing wheelchair.

#28 forever, **** all haters.

No.

Seriously, those people can go **** themselves for all I care. Curtis Martin has played hurt numerous time for this franchise. You think LaMont Jordan or I don't even know who Curtis' back-up was before Jordan, would've done half of what Curtis did when he was running on a bum ankle or 2 bum ankles numerous times? Those people honestly believe that? They're ****ing tools if they do. Curtis Martin is the 4th all time leading rusher in NFL history, he has done something that only the great Barry Sanders has MATCHED. **** you all if you don't like Curtis Martin, you show no respect towards one of the greatest players to ever play for this franchise. This man since coming here in 98 has worked his balls off for this organization and to say we're better off with a rookie or Kevan Barlow is just stupidity. They both seek out help from Curtis Martin because they know he's better then them in a ****ing wheelchair.

124,, I think its semantics,,

define RESPECT..

If you mean Respect as in admired and honored as one of Greatest Jets ever , and in Jet Hall of Fame and HOPING he is healthy and can WIN starting job back then thats fine with most posters,,

if however;

You mean Respect as in he should start just becasue of his past even if he doesnt impress mangini in practice as the BEST RB for Jets TODAY, then thats a problem,,

bottom line, you wont find anyone who doesnt admire and respect what CM had done for Jets

No.

Repeat after me, there is no room for sentiment in big business!!!!!

This is the NFL , a big business, not the Little sisters of the poor

Curtis was a class guy, give him his gold rolex.. and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out..

I'm sure jets will give him a nice cushy PR job.. you should spend more time worrying about garbie getting a job, tough to find one in mass when your senator is a drunk murderer and your gov to me is a herm wannie be;)

It's not hatred. It's reality. And to some degree I fault Martin less than I do Edwards. if he's playing I don't give an flying eff about his injury. If he was hurt, he should've taken a seat, and especially so when we had Jordan on the bench. I don't really care who's decision it was, but that should've been the HC's decision.

Again, tell me the big game Martin had in a playoff game. Some of the same people who knock A-rod and now Beltran for not getting it done in the postseason are the same ones who are now telling us that Martin was an all-time great. Just because an imbecile gave him 370+ carries en route to a meaningless rushing title doesn't mean he was great, merely durable. There's something to be said for showing up every day, but it doesn't automatically make you great.

If Mangini determines that Martin playing is one of his best 45 players on a given Sunday, great. At these prices it's the least Martin could do. But spare us how anyone owes Martin anything. He's been paid in full and then some, and we really don't have much to show for it. I know his Parcells-era contract made for cap problems, but Bradway resigning him was a huge mistake.

I know his Parcells-era contract made for cap problems, but Bradway resigning him was a huge mistake.

people forget this,, not saying signing him at lesser money wasnt right thing,, but the length/expense of that contract might be in Top10 dumbest contracts ever,,

Dan Morgan of Panthers #1 dumbest

It's not hatred. It's reality. And to some degree I fault Martin less than I do Edwards. if he's playing I don't give an flying eff about his injury. If he was hurt, he should've taken a seat, and especially so when we had Jordan on the bench. I don't really care who's decision it was, but that should've been the HC's decision.

Again, tell me the big game Martin had in a playoff game. Some of the same people who knock A-rod and now Beltran for not getting it done in the postseason are the same ones who are now telling us that Martin was an all-time great. Just because an imbecile gave him 370+ carries en route to a meaningless rushing title doesn't mean he was great, merely durable. There's something to be said for showing up every day, but it doesn't automatically make you great.

If Mangini determines that Martin playing is one of his best 45 players on a given Sunday, great. At these prices it's the least Martin could do. But spare us how anyone owes Martin anything. He's been paid in full and then some, and we really don't have much to show for it. I know his Parcells-era contract made for cap problems, but Bradway resigning him was a huge mistake.

Great analogy.

people forget this,, not saying signing him at lesser money wasnt right thing,, but the length/expense of that contract might be in Top10 dumbest contracts ever,,

Dan Morgan of Panthers #1 dumbest

I don't know if it trumps what Carolina gave Sean Gilbert - a $40M+ contract (and two high #1 draft picks) when the salary cap was at its 1997 level - to a guy who made one pro-bowl 4 years earlier.

If Martin officially quits then there are few possibilities if Washington is not a full time starter.

draft RB- Peterson, Lynch or Irons.

trade for- Fason, Turner or McAllister.

sign as FA- Brown or Buckwalther.

I rather to see this happen in a week prior to the draft weekend not way before or after.

SD is re-signing Turner.

NO isn't trading their primary RB; their offense is very dangerous with both Bush & McAllister there.

Cedric Fason...well it was telling that Min wanted to sign Chester Taylor

Brown is a decent RB, but he gets injured so often.

Buckhalter makes Brown look like an iron-man.

Peterson likely won't be available to us.

Irons is actually lighter than Washington despite being 3" taller.

Lynch looks pretty damn good & has excellent size. He might be available to us - too hard to say at this point.

Martin is not an every-down option for 2007.

I'm optimistic about Washington. If it's just the short-yardage power then that's easier to fill with a less-heralded rookie or stay with Barlow. We also have Houston who looked decent while running behind some crappy o-lines.

San Diego doesn't have enough $ to franchise Turner to keep him as a 5-10 carrier per game type player.

At best San Diego will franchsie him and trade him away for a 2nd round draft pick...possibly a 1st if a team is that desperate.

Great analogy.

I don't know if it trumps what Carolina gave Sean Gilbert - a $40M+ contract (and two high #1 draft picks) when the salary cap was at its 1997 level - to a guy who made one pro-bowl 4 years earlier.

my point is Dan Morgan has missed EVERY season of his career due to concussions,, he hasnt had a season where he hasnt had concussions, and in some of those years he ALSO had concussions,, BUT they give him a five-year extension worth about $28 million. The contract includes a $6 million signing bonus with another $6 million in future roster bonuses.

San Diego doesn't have enough $ to franchise Turner to keep him as a 5-10 carrier per game type player.

At best San Diego will franchsie him and trade him away for a 2nd round draft pick...possibly a 1st if a team is that desperate.

SD is in great cap shape. Don't know where you got this from that they don't have the money. Plus they figure to be a contender next year as well; that goes right down the toilet if Tomlinson gets hurt or hits the wall suddenly.

Since Turner is a RFA, SD has absolutely no reason to franchise him. That would never, ever happen. They can offer him a $2M tender that would require a team ponying up a first & a third. No need to match a top-5 salary via the franchise tag. They will either do that or sign him up long-term for about $2.5-3M/yr with an $8M bonus if he'll take it. Don't discount that as so ridiculous. Injuries happen, especially to RB's, and the players are most definitely aware of this. They frequently just take the money when it's there. Otherwise he could sustain a career-ending injury in '07 and end up with nothing.

I'm a big fan of Turner the burner, but we're not getting him.

SD is re-signing Turner.

NO isn't trading their primary RB; their offense is very dangerous with both Bush & McAllister there.

Cedric Fason...well it was telling that Min wanted to sign Chester Taylor

Brown is a decent RB, but he gets injured so often.

Buckhalter makes Brown look like an iron-man.

Peterson likely won't be available to us.

Irons is actually lighter than Washington despite being 3" taller.

Lynch looks pretty damn good & has excellent size. He might be available to us - too hard to say at this point.

Martin is not an every-down option for 2007.

I'm optimistic about Washington. If it's just the short-yardage power then that's easier to fill with a less-heralded rookie or stay with Barlow. We also have Houston who looked decent while running behind some crappy o-lines.

That is why I said that it should be imminent in a week prior to the NFL Draft so each team will know what the Draft would be standed.

Fason is at his 2nd year in nfl... It is normal for new HC to go get a "vet" rb.. Taylor is Vikings' biggest deal after they were idiotic enough to trade away Baskett for crappy Mullien and Mosely and 7th rounder for serviceable qb Bollinger.. I still think Fason is a good rb for 5 years.

McAllister... Umm. NO can afford to dump him for defense star and either sign Wells for cheap or draft big Bush after first round. Of course, it is unlikely but it is possible. Turner a Saints?

Turner may be ended up like Jordan or better.. I am not going to fork over 2nd rounder for him.. If Turner stays put with Chargers for next year then Jets can try him again in 2008 without losing any draft pick.

Brown and Buckhalther are not star but they could be ended up a cheap sign as Washington continues improving. Why must pay expensive rb if Jets think Washington is good enough to carry 20 or more times per game.

Irons may be light but is very durable. I believe he has the almost same size as Martin but runs faster. If Mangini has program that developed Maroney. Maroney was tall and thin with chicken legs. Now he is at 210-220 lbs without losing any speed.

Peterson could be ours if Jets trade up. I would go for it if Jets were set in top 15. I dont care what package it is.

why franchise Turner when he becomes a RFA. Chargers can afford to match any offerings that below of 2nd round value as well as Chargers can get a decent draft pick or a player in return if they dont match the offer. It is a win win situation.

Franchising Turner may cause more difficult.

my point is Dan Morgan has missed EVERY season of his career due to concussions,, he hasnt had a season where he hasnt had concussions, and in some of those years he ALSO had concussions,, BUT they give him a five-year extension worth about $28 million. The contract includes a $6 million signing bonus with another $6 million in future roster bonuses.

I thought fox & co were smarter than that. I got a headache just reading about it

You're all class there Bugg, all Class

What a f-ing Jerkoff

Absolutely outrageous.

I've known Bugg for 5+ years by way of these NFL MB's. I always look forward to a post by Bugg. He's articulate, provocative, always has a point, and his historic references are acedemic.

You on the other hand, bring nothing to the table. Your posts suck.

You calling anyone a "f-ing Jerkoff" is like Charlie Manson calling somebody crazy.

In 6 years, I have never felt a need to ever put anybody on ignore. But in 3 short weeks, you made number two on the list, right behind Alf.

Archived