Meanwhile, we got some MAJOR help today...

Jetsfan80

While the wild card has taken a back seat to the division title as our goal, its still a legitimate topic to discuss. With Houston beating Jacksonville (again), Miami beating KC, and the Bengals losing to San Diego, we are now in pretty good shape in the AFC Wild Card standings, which are as follows as we speak:

1) San Diego (7-2) ---> Denver (7-2) holds the AFC West tiebreaker

2) Jacksonville (5-4)

3) JETS (5-4)

4) Kansas City (5-4)

5) Cincinnati (4-5)

San Diego is not a "lock" for the playoffs yet, but they have too big of a cushion right now after their win against Cincy to say that they won't get in. We don't play the Chargers, making it even harder to gain ground on them. The AFC West will produce at least 2 playoff teams.

If the season ended today, we'd still be on the outside looking in because Jacksonville, with their tiebreaker over us, would take the 6th seed in the playoffs. HOWEVER, Jacksonville has a remaining schedule that includes the Giants, @ Buffalo, @ Miami, Indianapolis, @ Tennessee, New England, and Kansas City. I don't see them winning more than 5 of those games, and see them finishing at 9-7.

As for KC, we own the tiebreaker over them currently because of our superior conference record (4-4) compared to KC (1-4). KC's remaining schedule includes Oakland, Denver, @ Cleveland, Baltimore, @ San Diego, @ Oakland, Jacksonville. I see their fate as the same as Jacksonville's, 9-7.

Since KC and Jacksonville play each other on the last week of the season, its safe to say that the LOSER will absolutely be eliminated. The winner will still need some help.

I don't see the Bengals as a huge threat either, as their remaining schedule includes @ New Orleans, @ Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, @ Indianapolis, @ Denver, Pittsburgh. They'll probably finish up around 8-8.

As for us, we have Chicago, Houston, @ Green Bay, Buffalo, @ Minnesota, @ Miami, and Oakland remaining. I like our chances to finish with 10 wins, especially if we somehow beat the Bears this week.

It may be too early to be "scoreboard" watching, but we are NOT in control of our own destiny for the playoffs. We could technically win every game we play for the rest of the season and STILL not make the playoffs. It's nice to know, however, that we are back in the thick of things after today's games.

PATS

Nov 19 @Green Bay

Nov 26 Chicago

Dec 3 Detroit

Dec 10 @Miami

Dec 17 Houston

Dec 24 @Jacksonville

Dec 31 @Tennessee

I think they will go 3-4 for the rest of the year

JETS

Nov 19 Chicago

Nov 26 Houston

Dec 3 @Green Bay

Dec 10 Buffalo

Dec 17 @Minnesota

Dec 25 @Miami

Dec 31 Oakland

I think the JETS will go 5-2 to finish the year

JETS - 10-6

PATS - 9-7

Maybe its the PATS who should worry about the Wildcard race?

Dont jump on me and call me a "homer" either, this isnt a wild prediction it is merely weighted to the JETS advantage...

If we win out, we're almost definitely in. We should worry more about next week though than getting even 10 wins right now. 9 wins will still be an accomplishment.

If we win out, we'll be 12-4.

The AFC is pretty competitive, but I'm fairly certain we'll get in with a 12-4 record.

You're discussing playoff implications?:eek:

Wow.

Both the Pats and Jets have a lot of common opponents coming up, Tx. I'd start thinking about the playoffs now, too. The Jets are breathing down your necks after this week's game, and the Pats have the slim 1 game edge in every tiebreaker category (common opponents, division record, AFC record). This means that one slip-up, and the Jets will be in front.

So, yes, this is a worthy discussion.

The point is, this week put the Jets from "outside looking in" to SQUARELY on the playoff bubble. They absolutely should be considered contenders now.

If we win out, we'll be 12-4.

The AFC is pretty competitive, but I'm fairly certain we'll get in with a 12-4 record.

Well, that's why I said we'd almost definitely be in. But I think it's important to say even with that, we might not even win our division. I think we could still not even make the playoffs with that record, but that's rather doubtful. The Chargers/Broncos might see a 13 win team between the both of them, so if that happened they'd have the first wild card. We'd almost be a lock for the final spot however. As of now, only the Jaguars are ahead of us, and if the Patriots won out, and we won out, the Jags would have a loss and we'd get in ahead of them. Actually, I suppose we'd then be a guaranteed lock. If the Pats lost that one game, then I'm not so sure what happens. If the Pats win the tie-breaker over us, and the Jags win the tie-breaker as well, there would be 3 12-4 teams and one wouldn't make it.

But, what are the chances of that happening?

If it does happen, I'm going to bump this thread and say I saw it coming.

Green Bay is playing good right now- they will be harder to beat on the road than it looked like a couple of weeks ago for both NE and us.

Let's see, the Texans beat the Jags in Jacksonville.

How did the Jets fare against the Jags this year?

Texans should easily handle the Jets.

Oh in that case, since the Dolphins beat the Bears, and we beat the Dolphins, we're going to beat the Bears for sure.

Gotta love that logic...

Problem is the JETS are getting better every week while teams like the PATS/JAGS/BENGALS... ect are just trying not to slip too much...

Oh in that case, since the Dolphins beat the Bears, and we beat the Dolphins, we're going to beat the Bears for sure.

Obviously! lol

Actually the one good thing we have going for us is that we are on the rise while the Bears have slipped some... Id hate to be facing the Bears at their best...

PATS

Nov 19 @Green Bay

Nov 26 Chicago

Dec 3 Detroit

Dec 10 @Miami

Dec 17 Houston

Dec 24 @Jacksonville

Dec 31 @Tennessee

I think they will go 3-4 for the rest of the year

JETS

Nov 19 Chicago

Nov 26 Houston

Dec 3 @Green Bay

Dec 10 Buffalo

Dec 17 @Minnesota

Dec 25 @Miami

Dec 31 Oakland

I think the JETS will go 5-2 to finish the year

JETS - 10-6

PATS - 9-7

Maybe its the PATS who should worry about the Wildcard race?

Dont jump on me and call me a "homer" either, this isnt a wild prediction it is merely weighted to the JETS advantage...

Still alot of football to be played.

Jacksonville is one of the great mysteries of the NFL this season. Some weeks they look they look unbeatable and some weeks they look awful.

Don't look now but the Texans (Yes the Texans) are playing some very good football right now.

Buffalo played Indy tough today

Miami looks like they may be getting things together and Minnesota in Minnesota will not be easy either.

Right now the Jets should enjoy the win and then start thinking about the Bears and the Bears only.

Look, I still think a playoff berth is a longshot. Not impossible , not likely.

It's not at all a longshot. We are 3rd in line for one of 2 wild card spots behind a team who is only ahead of us through a tiebreaker, and are just 1 game back in the division with 7 games remaining (4 of them at home, 5 against teams with losing records). This is not an improbable feat. We are in a far better positon for a playoff spot than the Steelers, Titans, Texans, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns, and are in slightly better shape than the Chiefs and Bengals. This puts us squarely on the bubble, and only one slip-up by the Jags or Pats from being in control of our own destiny.

It's not at all a longshot. We are 3rd in line for one of 2 wild card spots behind a team who is only ahead of us through a tiebreaker, and are just 1 game back in the division with 7 games remaining (4 of them at home, 5 against teams with losing records). This is not an improbable feat. We are in a far better positon for a playoff spot than the Steelers, Titans, Texans, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns, and are in slightly better shape than the Chiefs and Bengals. This puts us squarely on the bubble, and only one slip-up by the Jags or Pats from being in control of our own destiny.

80 --

You nailed it. The reality is that the Jets are in the playoff hunt. I know I felt as did many others, that talent wise they are not quite there yet.

But ultimately, you are what your record says you are!

Archived