Vilma, having a productive year...

Jetme23

yup

If they start every game, LB's (particularly MLB/ILB's) are always up there in tackles when their d-line can't stop the run. Vilma has 3 more tackles than Kirk Morrison after 9 games, so that's about equal. Are they about equal talents? No.

Worst run defense = Indy

Cato June #1 in tackles (86)

Gary Brackett #6 in tackles (76)

2nd-worst run defense = Houston

DeMarco Ryans #5 in tackles (79)

4th-worst run defense = St Louis

Will Witherspoon #9 in tackles (74)

6th-worst run defense = Ten

Keith Bullock #4 in tackles (81)

Buffalo has the 20th-ranked run defense

London Fletcher #2 in tackles (84)

Tampa Bay has the 24th-ranked run defense

Derrick Brooks #12 in tackles (72)

Also look closely at Vilma's tackles. He ranks #8 in the league with 75 total, but only 46 of them are solo tackles; 29 are assisted-tackles (he either helped someone else out, or someone had to come help him to finish the deal). That's easily the lowest total among anyone in the top 14 in total tackles, and 2nd-worst among the top-21 in total tackles (among the top 21, only rookie Ernie Sims - barely - has fewer solo tackles with 44).

Draw your own conclusions.

A lot, and I mean A LOT of people had doubts in there mind about how vilma would adapt to the new D. Lets just say, hes having a very good year.

tied for 7th

Jonathan Vilma NYJ 75 totoal tackles 46.0 solo 29assists 4pass defelected.

You need to start watching the games.

Vilma has been totally lost out there this year.

Tackles that are made 7 yards downfield are not very impressive.

All season it has been a combined effort- Vilma is not having as good a season as last year- predicated on the guys up front not doing the jobs they need to.

Absolutely. I just don't see # of tackles as being indicative of being that # in terms of how good he's been. He has not been the 8th-best MLB/ILB in the NFL this year.

Vinny is not the 6th-best QB of all time b/c he has the 6th-most yards.

Bledsoe is not the 7th-best QB of all time b/c he has the 7th-most yards.

Martin is not the 4th-best RB of all time b/c he has the 4th-most yards.

Henry Ellard is not the 5th-best WR of all time b/c he has the 5th-most yards (actually was #3, 227 yds behind Largent at #2, at the time of his retirement).

I'm much more interested in how the team does. Individual stats are fine for fantasy football, but they don't mean you're going to win a game simply b/c that guy is on your team instead of someone else with lesser stat totals.

I'm much more interested in how the team does. Individual stats are fine for fantasy football, but they don't mean you're going to win a game simply b/c that guy is on your team instead of someone else with lesser stat totals.

This is a real gem of a statement. Every fantasy football fanatic should have to read this three times before posting an attack on the play of an individual player.

You need to start watching the games.

Vilma has been totally lost out there this year.

Tackles that are made 7 yards downfield are not very impressive.

SO the Ben Watson tackle vs. Denver in the Playoffs made 90 yards downfield was unimpressive....:character42:

The point being, Vilma Is somehow getting of blocks... Everyone was scared he wasnt gonna be able to make any tackles with big bodied lineman coming at him......

Like mentioned before, draw your own conclusions

He was good vs the pats, but he hasnt done anything all year.

He's not shedding blocks until its already a 6 yard run.

Stats in all sports can be terribly misleading-

Just look at the performance of this team against the run all year and how can you say really anyone is having a great year?

One of your linebackers will always lead the team in tackles -Vilma is not having as good a year as last year I will repeat.

Vilma was one of the best LB last year in key actions such as preventing converison to 1st down play, tackling for negative yards, and pass deflecting.

This year is very completely opposition of last year for Vilma.. Vilma made 80 tackles and almost nothing of them is key..

Barton and Vilma have hard times to control the line and beyond that. I saw Barton suffered 2 blockers in LB territory and I wondered where the hell did they come from.. Bad DL. Barton and Vilma have virtually no chance to control the line due to weak DL AND still struggle the side to side area due to new familiar.

Barton appears to be better 3-4 ILB than Vilma because offense can take Vilma hand to hand and Barton requires more than one body to stop. See, the size DOES MATTER. I dont remember seeing 230 pounds ILB playing in 3-4 for any teams as starter. Lightest weight was 238 and he is Edwards or Fletcher of Chargers (I forget which one)

Sperm Edwards provided the listing of LBers who have similar registered tackles and nothing of those teams are playing 3-4.

I still dont understand why the fu-k Jets are satisfied with Robertson playing DL... Is it just being polite? I hope so.

Thomas has played well but is still struggling on drop back coverage and read pass offense. 1D pass rusher in college because of unmatched speed and during in NFL where many players get better in physical and awareness without losing speed and Thomas never bulks himself up to match NFL he becomes a simple run stopper not run stuffer.

Oh well, it is only first year in 3-4 and everyone is forgiven.

Do you think DFat's ridiculously bloated contract might have something to do with it?

He is the most overpaid defensive player in the NFL.

Always has something related to fat contract.. always. but Come on.

I suspect that his contract has included a lawsuit for badmouthing him.:lol:

Barton is not having a better year in the 3-4 than Vilma.

He rarely steps up to stuff the blockers he sees and when he does he is usually taken completely out of the play (you cant expect to have no blockers reaching the LBs). On most plays he hand fights with the lineman while giving ground waiting for the back to clear the lineman so he can then shed him and make a tackle. Sounds good except that in the process he has given up 4+ yds on the carry. Teams invariably run right at Barton because of this.

Barton barely played in the second half of the Pats game because Brad Kassell was much more effective against the run.

Barton is a great speed guy who is capable of making big plays in the pass game and on runs where he is unblocked, but in a 3-4 how often is that going to happen.

Vilma has been much more effective.

Barton is not having a better year in the 3-4 than Vilma.

He rarely steps up to stuff the blockers he sees and when he does he is usually taken completely out of the play (you cant expect to have no blockers reaching the LBs). On most plays he hand fights with the lineman while giving ground waiting for the back to clear the lineman so he can then shed him and make a tackle. Sounds good except that in the process he has given up 4+ yds on the carry. Teams invariably run right at Barton because of this.

Barton barely played in the second half of the Pats game because Brad Kassell was much more effective against the run.

Barton is a great speed guy who is capable of making big plays in the pass game and on runs where he is unblocked, but in a 3-4 how often is that going to happen.

Vilma has been much more effective.

I humbly disagree... Barton barely played in 2nd half in favor of Kassell? I dont think so. Barton had 4 tackles and Kassell had 3 tackles... How could you tell that Kassell played better against run when Patriots were in hungry for big pass plays. The fact is that Jets had rotated all LBs include Vilma throughout the game. I dont see much of productivity from Vilma either.

The reason many teams had run toward Barton was Barton was doubled frequently. The same way teams had done against Julius Peppers when he was doubled or tripled. That is a strategy and it hurts Jets big time because Vilma simply could not draw offense' attention. Vilma supposed to take over the area where Barton was occupied but he did not so it was easy to run against Jets... That is why Vilma has played so so in side to side coverage.

Normally, everyone with NFL common sense is happy about Barton taking two blockers because he helps Jets to create a hole for another player to attack. Since Jets have struggled to pick up the advantaged holes many people fingered to Barton for not shredding 2 blockers and making a play. Many people are blinded by popular name like Vilma.

Unfortunately, if Kassell is successful to pick up the hole and playing well on side to side coverage, he could be better ILB than Vilma but Vilma will never be demoted.

I humbly disagree... Barton barely played in 2nd half in favor of Kassell? I dont think so. Barton had 4 tackles and Kassell had 3 tackles... .

Go back and watch the game if you dont believe me. Kassell was the one stepping up into the hole and taking on blockers and forcing the runner back or out of the lane. Let me put it to you another way. If Barton is so great, why does/ did Kassell get so much playing time. I dont think Barton playe more than 2 series in the whole second half.

Archived