The Official Discuss The Debate (BZ-TX) Thread

Maxman

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tx, the Jets are 12th in points allowed. I thought that was your criteria. Now you're using 24th.

straws.jpg

You can grasp for another one if you want.

Which is two points ahead of Cincinnati and when was the last time they were considered a good D? 1988?

....homerism is a by-product of delusion and stupidity.

These people use speculation as fact. Lemme use some fact.

The demise of the New England Patriots has been greatly exxagerrated.

Did you really just write these sentences in the same post?

:rl:

(We wont deduct for spelling.)

:P

And you expected what exactly? You have been here forever. You know what these people are like. A win - and it's Superbowl time - a loss, and they are ready to start Clemmons. Seriously.

But I'm curious as to why you would even think you could win this argument on a Jets board? That chances of that happening are as good as you ever winning POTW. "nevah" gonna happen. Jets fans are "wicked retahded homah's"

To be fair Garb don't you as well pick the Pats to lose very week?

When Patriot fans use the premise of them beating Cincinatti as some great win, that the Jets magically do not have

It is used in the context of 'never beating a winning team' anymore.

The last I knew 8-6 equates to a winning team.

Which is two points ahead of Cincinnati and when was the last time they were considered a good D? 1988?

Which is also ahead of Dallas, Carolina, Atlanta, Philly, Washington, Seattle, and the Giants. When were they considered good defenses? 2005?

P.s. Neither statement has any bearing on the fact that the Jets are 12th in the NFL in points allowed.

Side note, the NFC really sucks.

Did you really just write these sentences in the same post?

:rl:

(We wont deduct for spelling.)

:P

My spelling is atrocious (did I spell that right? ;) ).

I stand by my statement. The Pats defense is markedly better than last season.....yet they are on the decline? You can't be ranked second in points allowed and be on the decline. All I'm sayin.....

The premise of the debate is that the Jets will achive "greatness" in 2007. Although "greatness" still needs to be defined by Max - I suspect that means over-taking the Pats as top dog in the division next year. I do not think that will happen.

Speak to Gimmie Shelter...that is his argument.

Jetlag

And being 12th in points out of 32 teams means you are barely above average.

No, no, no, PFSIKH - no logic allowed! ;)

I will say:

This thread is fun. It's great to debate facts, speculation, dreams, whatever......so cool....good stuff. Better than the usual drivel.

Speak to Gimmie Shelter...that is his argument.

Jetlag

And being 12th in points out of 32 teams means you are barely above average.

No, 15th is barely above average. 12th is above average which is contradictory to everything you Pats fans have said/believe about the Jets.

I still don't understand what the debate is about? Are the Jets improved? Hell yah - duh....look at the won-loss record and statistical ranking. Are the Pats on the decline? Record and stats say "no."

So, can the Jets achieve "greatness" - I suppose....but that would be under the assumption that the Pats are not/or can not. C'mon now....as long as Brady is the QB, the D-line stays intact and BB is the HC - I can't see them sucking anytime soon.

No, 15th is barely above average. 12th is above average which is contradictory to everything you Pats fans have said/believe about the Jets.

First, the Jets are 13th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ppg&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006

When the Jets are closer to last in the league in points allowed (5.8) then first (6.6). Your team is not above average.

I still don't understand what the debate is about? Are the Jets improved? Hell yah - duh....look at the won-loss record and statistical ranking. Are the Pats on the decline? Record and stats say "no."

So, can the Jets achieve "greatness" - I suppose....but that would be under the assumption that the Pats are not/or can not. C'mon now....as long as Brady is the QB, the D-line stays intact and BB is the HC - I can't see them sucking anytime soon.

I definitely agree with Garb on the gray area of the debate topic. Although both BZ and Tx clearly are arguing the same thing and the uncertainty of the topic isn't going to negate the fact that Tx doesn't really believe what he's arguing for. He's attempting to play devil's advocate but there really isn't a strong case for it in this argument.

It seems like it's pretty much a widely accepted idea that the Jets have gotten drastically better and will continue to do so. Even if they play the same in 2007 as they have the second half of 2006 the Jets will push the Patriots for the AFC East and that's not to mention that the Bills might even work their way into the argument. Although I'm not a big believer in Dick Jauron.

Agreed -- next go around we can have a broader topic. But Tx has been so consistent with his points this year. The Jets are not improved, they are going nowhere, they only win because of a soft schedule. Blah, blah, blah.

If all of those things were true, this topic should have been easier for him to debate. So this excercise in large part was an act of house keeping.

First, the Jets are 13th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ppg&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006

When the Jets are closer to last in the league in points allowed (5.8) then first (6.6). Your team is not above average.

First, the Jets are tied for 12th at 20.1. Secondly if you're going to use math, atleast use the mean average. The league average is 20.6 by my math. That puts the Jets a half point better than the average. That my friend is called "above average" if you want to be techincal.

First, the Jets are tied for 12th at 20.1. Secondly if you're going to use math, atleast use the mean average. The league average is 20.6 by my math. That puts the Jets a half point better than the average. That my friend is called "above average" if you want to be techincal.

How can you be tied for 12th when Carolina has given up less points? That is why they are 13th on the list. They are not even in the top third of the league. That would be above average.

How can you be tied for 12th when Carolina has given up less points? That is why they are 13th on the list. They are not even in the top third of the league. That would be above average.

20.6 = average

above average < 20.6 < below average

20.1 < 20.6

If you're going to split hairs than so am I.

20.6 = average

above average < 20.6 < below average

20.1 < 20.6

If you're going to split hairs than so am I.

Ok...here is my cut.

#1.....Baltimore 13.4

#32...San Francisco 25.9

25.9-13.4=12.5 divide by 2 gives you the average of 19.65.

Jets 20.1 is below average. ;)

update...

well, not really. It's just an observation. In the debate Tx reminds me of the black knight in Monte Python's Holy Grail. Tx is getting the snot beaten out of him and doesn't even realize it. And he keeps begging for more. Go ahead, Arthur... finish him off.

Tx - "Come back here, you pansy!"

Bz - "What?! Yours arms are off!"

Tx - "Tis but a flesh wound"

LOL! One more thing... I just remembered that King Arthur's coconut carrying servant's name is... PATSY!

As to the Defensive argument, BZ can put that right to bed.

If you take our D over the last 9 games, here's the average:

200 yds passing, 125 yds rushing, 16 points.

The first 3 games were not very good, nor would I have expected them to be given that we have mediocre personnel fit for a 4-3 D learning an entirely new 3-4. Now I'm sure Tx will try to argue strength of schedule, but the fact is our D is head and shoulders better than it was last year. Every aspect of our team is better than it was last year for that matter, and we have either the same players or rookies filling in the voids. Do we have a ferocious D? Not at all, but the Pats NEVER did either. They had a smart D that focused on not allowing points. That's exactly what we're doing now and it's working. This D is only going to get better witgh a couple small improvements here and there. And BTW, those points are not taking into consideration the 3 times I can think of where Chad turned the ball over giving the opposition possession within the red zone already. When Chad doesn't turn the ball over like that we are giving up a paltry 13.5 points a game.

Yes, reasons are what Bz has provided for the most part. Blind opinions is all you've EVER offered.

Here are some of BZ's 'reasons' at work:

- The Jets are QB deep for 2007 (Chad + Kellen) - A QB having his worst season and one with one career pass. An incomplete one none the less.

- The 3/4 Defense is working and will work better in 2007 - Why Zulidamus" Because you said so.

- The 2006 Draft is a HUGE success with the 2007 Draft only to add- Zulidamus strikes again.

Mangini didn't just study under Bill and Bill, he is going to improve on it. - Zulidamus

Post #7 - Zulidamus strikes again. The Jets will improve due to a Zulidamus proclamation and the three teams with better defenses in the division, two of which have a better QB situation and the third has more QB depth are going to struggle by virtue of a Zulidamus decree.

The more I read the more I see all of his "reasons' are pure conjecture. When painted into a corner with actual facts, BZ has tried to throw Tex's predictions or positive comments about the Jets as proof they are going to be great next year. The few times he has used facts, they are more often then not wrong.

Archived