Schottenheimer a Dolphins finalist

DonCorleone

WOW, I hope that he stays.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who instituted an innovative offense, is among the finalists for the Dolphins head-coaching job. He will fly to Miami for a second interview on Tuesday, a league official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the interview process.

Schottenheimer, who interviewed with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, chief executive officer Joe Bailey and president Bryan Wiedmeier last Wednesday aboard Huizenga's private jet, will fly to Miami this time.

Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller is expected to lead the interview. Wednesday's first interview was mostly a get-to-know-you session. On Tuesday, they'll talk football and philosophy.

Schottenheimer, 33, was an offensive coordinator for the first time in his career this season and was impressive, quickly becoming a hot head-coaching candidate during a time when it's in vogue to hire a young head coach.

Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34, is also said to have had a strong first interview and may be invited back. Former Rams coach Mike Martz also interviewed for the post.

Overall, the Dolphins interviewed 12 candidates, including former Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and USC head coach Pete Carroll, who has said he'll stay in Southern California.

This weekend, the Dolphins are expected to trim the list to five and begin a second round of interviews next week.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said the club already has a short list of possible replacements for Schottenheimer should he leave. If the Jets stay in-house, running backs coach Jimmy Raye -- who has worked as an offensive coordinator during his 29 seasons in the league -- could be a candidate.

If the Jets go outside, look for them to consider someone off the staff of the Chiefs, Chargers or Rams, who run offenses similar to the Jets. Rams quarterback coach Doug Nussmeier, 36, has extensive experience in the offense and could be a leading candidate.

Note: Jets DB coach Corwin Brown is expected to be named the new defensive coordinator at Notre Dame. He coached with Irish coach Charlie Weis in New England.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

What about having the 25th ranked offense in the league is impressing them ??

I can't understand it.

The NFL is nothing more than a copycat league. Organizations see what a Sean Payton and an Eric Mangini have done. And they want that. Who wouldn't?

You get the benefit of youth (if you get the RIGHT youth). You get the benefit of discipline and coming from a winning tradition.

A team at least has to give it's fanbase all of that allure. You give them the trend candidate. And that is what Brian Schottenheimer has become.

Does that make him an instant success? No. Plenty of trend candidates have failed in the past.

But coach replacement has become a process of categorical candidates. Player coaches vs. disciplinarian coaches vs. trend coaches vs. "circle" coaches vs organizational coaches.

I just have a hard time believeing that the Brian Schott coaching candidate would be the easiest one for the Dolphins to "sell" their fans. And trust me, this is a "sell" with season ticket sales hingeing.

Unless he totally "wows" them, it will be a tough sell job.

hey you know what if he goes, he goes.The offense he instituted is best suited for a guy with Chad's smarts and veteran leadership.Say we DO get a new OC maybe it'll hasten the Kellen Clemens era and who knows,maybe that'll be a good thing-if not we will still have Chad Pennington-I'm good with whatever happens...

I trust Mangini to do what is right for this team-especially after watching the undiciplined Chargers lose a game they should have never lost yesterday-and on stupid personal fouls,sloppy special teams play and dropped balls thrown right at the defenders-3 of them-Mangini teams don't beat themselves from what I've seen so far

My gut feeling is Miami will not go with a person that never was a NFL coach before.

His resume as only one year as an offensive coordinator is light in comparison to other candidates.

Just wondering, do you think it plays into it that if the dolphins take Schott that they feel they would not only gain a talented, young, creative coach, but also deal a significant blow to a division rival who had a much better year although not as talented as themselves?

I am not saying this is the case, as I really don't know if that enters enough into the equation that it would be a big part of the reason for pulling the trigger on Schott jr, I am just wondering aloud.

Just wondering, do you think it plays into it that if the dolphins take Schott that they feel they would not only gain a talented, young, creative coach, but also deal a significant blow to a division rival who had a much better year although not as talented as themselves?

I am not saying this is the case, as I really don't know if that enters enough into the equation that it would be a big part of the reason for pulling the trigger on Schott jr, I am just wondering aloud.

Sort of like the Jets taking Mangini from the Pats-I do not think Brian can go on his one year running an offense to have the pedigree- also do you think the Dolphins are that smart.

Sort of like the Jets taking Mangini from the Pats-I do not think Brian can go on his one year running an offense to have the pedigree- also do you think the Dolphins are that smart.

Exactly, we scored twice on the mangini hire, first and most obvious, getting a talented guy who was groomed in a system that breeds winning. Second was the addition to us by subtraction to the pats. I am sure by Belli's actions this year towards our coach that Mangini was viewed as a very important piece of that puzzle, and losing him hurt a pretty good deal.

The thing is, obviously the jets playbook was pretty creative this year and I know I loved watching the jets play this year more than the last few seasons, and that is due to Schotty. But, he also comes from a program that has never had any success in the playoffs(SD), and has only had one season with the Jets and Mangini, so are the Dolphins smart enough to understand hurting us is their gain, or are they smart enough to realize that Schott does not yet have that pedigree that Mangini has. I sure don't have the answer, but it is interesting enough debate here now that our season is done i guess.

hey you know what if he goes, he goes.The offense he instituted is best suited for a guy with Chad's smarts and veteran leadership.Say we DO get a new OC maybe it'll hasten the Kellen Clemens era and who knows,maybe that'll be a good thing-if not we will still have Chad Pennington-I'm good with whatever happens...

I trust Mangini to do what is right for this team-especially after watching the undiciplined Chargers lose a game they should have never lost yesterday-and on stupid personal fouls,sloppy special teams play and dropped balls thrown right at the defenders-3 of them-Mangini teams don't beat themselves from what I've seen so far

We don't? You might wanna take a look at the Bears game, the Jags game and last weeks Pats game before saying that. We've sure made a ton of mistakes this year, and it's not just limited to those games actually. We do catch some INTs, but then we commit stupid penalties so that they get called back anyway, and we have our fair share of dropped INTs. Sure we are less talented, but we are pretty stupid too right now.

Our mistakes are also more subtle sometimes, like biting on a play fake in an obvious passing situation, that happened last week on a Brady TD. Mangini was pretty angry.

Archived