Bengals | Team to change approach come draft day

ECURB

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals president Mike Brown said Friday, Jan. 26, the team will change its approach on draft day this year, likely opting for character over athleticism. "There may be some gifted athletes we won't pick that we might have picked a year ago," Brown said. Six of the team's 16 draft picks in the 2005 and 2006 classes have been arrested since 2006.

Wow so they wont be picking criminals this year... :roll:

They seem to be one of the few teams in the NFL that do not have any Hurricanes on their roster. They did draft a nole last year, though.

mifl-06-fanbase-sebastian.jpg

Yes, the canes would never act like thugs or get in legal trouble.:yawn:

It's their loss. :)

The Jets passed on Sapp because --OMG! --he tried smoking pot!

Not that there are many Canes coming out who will be top picks, but I hear Merriweather has been ripping it up at the Senior Bowl practices.

While smoking pot, in your eyes, is not that big of a deal, it does raise certain character issues.

Warren knew that it was illegal and chose to break the law. Turns out he was a great player, but displayed his lack of class and indifference to rules every sunday.

SAPP is a perfect Raider, and did pretty well as a Buc.

Every team needs an edgy guy- the Jets have Coles- who was no angel, either.

No team has been immune from classless characters. To me, gastineau is one of the more classless characters who played, but we rooted for him since he was our guy.

While you cant have a team of misfits (and the Bengals have NO Canes on their deviant roster) I wouldnt rule a great player out because he had a lapse of judgment. After all, it's football, not thorasic surgery.

Great... this jerkoff just condemned them to many more years of losing....

The biggest problem is the team lets them act like animals... hold your players accountable for their actions. A slap on the wrist won't stop them acting like kids. Its one thing to do stupid things in college... its another when it continues into adulthood. They are working in a closed industry with a limited amount of opportunities, so you can hold their jobs over their head. Fines, suspensions, and releasing players are the solution. Plus you need VETERAN leadership... Carson Palmer. Where are you?

You think Mangini would have put up with crap like Cincy went through this year??? Players would have dropped dead from all the running they would have to do. Maybe the problem is Marvin Lewis.....

they'll talk to the players probation officer first before deciding whether or not to draft them

Good one. ;) I guess the Bengals won't be holding there tryout camp at the State Pen either this year. At least it's a start in the right direction.

edgy = get arrested?

Exactly.

FSU receiver arrested in family dispute

Posted: Monday August 03, 1998 08:25 PM

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Florida State wide receiver Laveranues Coles was arrested after allegedly striking his stepmother at the end of a daylong altercation among family members.

Coles, 20, was charged with simple battery, a misdemeanor, in the weekend incident in Tallahassee, according to a story published Monday in The Florida Times-Union.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound junior from Jacksonville struck his stepmother, Katherine Johnson, 45, outside her home, Tallahassee police said. It was in retaliation for an attack police say Johnson made earlier in the day on Coles' mother, Siretta Williams, 37, of Jacksonville.

Johnson was charged with battery of Williams. Both Coles and Johnson face a September 8 court date.

"This is something that has been fueling for several years," said FSU coach Bobby Bowden. "I knew some things about this before it happened, but I never thought it would come to this."

Coles' arrest Saturday came one month after receiver Peter Warrick was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, following an altercation in a Tampa parking lot.

___

But I guess that doesnt matter since he is on our team now.

;)

The hypocrisy here is astounding.

Coles has an arrest record, and btw did he even graduate college?

Yet, because he's a Jet, it's cool. But players on other teams who get arrested- they are bad.

Thort, you must not have been paying attention to all the posts where it is clear that the LARGE MAJORITY of college players who get into trouble with the law are not Hurricanes. But conitnue your ignorance if you so choose.

While smoking pot, in your eyes, is not that big of a deal, it does raise certain character issues.

Warren knew that it was illegal and chose to break the law. Turns out he was a great player, but displayed his lack of class and indifference to rules every sunday.

Didn't President Clinton try pot too? Why is that okay exactly?

Archived