Anybody ever had Haggis on Burns night?

AFJF

Last night was my first "burns night" in the UK and of course Haggis (not the poster but the food) was served to all in attendance and I must say I was quite impressed with the whole set up. The Haggis was great and of course the people were as nice as could be. I know we've got some posters who live in this neck of the woods so I was wondering who else had ever had it.

In case you're wondering....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

I've eaten "Americanized" haggis at Burns suppers. More meat and liver, less of the nasty stuff. Tastes like liverwurst, to me.

Burns Nights are great. I'm hoping to organize one here next year.

Count me in. I'll make the drive down.

My grandad was Scottish.

My surname was Mawhinney before my Mum remarried.

The Haggis was great....

A taste thing, surely. I had to WORK myself up to trying it, though. I've had my chances before, and I just couldn't do the deed. And that's when I was a carnivore. Funny, 'peasant food', enterprising folks who wasted nothing, that stuff always becomes a delicacy.

Liver is NOT the nasty stuff?

Dude, there are some ingredients in Haggis that you aren't allowed to sell as food in the US.

So, no, the liver is not the nasty stuff.

I'm a first-generation American from a Scottish family. I refuse to eat Haggis. However, I'm into all of the other Scottish Delicacies (and it is ALL fried -- I love the motherland).

So... anyway, if you're going to have a haggis-optional Burns Night, then please invite me :). Hell, I'll even wear a kilt, and I'll speak in my good-for-an-American-but-still-bad Scottish Accent.

In all honesty it seems to me that what you get in Haggis, isn't a lot worse than what you get in a hot dog at a ball game. All the extra parts that nobody knows what to do with crused together.

This whole thread reminds me of the movie with Michael Myers " So I married an axe murderer". All I can picture is him yelling "haggis !! ".

I started to read your post and the first thing that came to my mind was. "Damn, I have seen all of the Halloween movies and I never saw haggis make an appearance."

Archived