New Private Debate - Chad vs. Kellen in '07

Maxman

I think it is a huge tactical error. He is saying that Chad isn't even good enough to backup Clemens. That goes to his mindset about Chad. And shows how little he thinks of his skill set.

He is OBVIOUSLY underestimating Chad's ability and accomplishments and I feel that is important. Because he at the same time could be overestimating Clemens.

No, thats not what I was talking about.

Chad would be a GREAT backup. But I distinctly remember him being asked last offseason what he would do if he got beat out of the starting QB spot, and I distinctly remember him saying he will not let that happen and that he would go look for a starting job elsewhere.

Take it FWIW, but thats the jest of what he said. I'll try and find the quote but that will be hard to find as I only remember it being quoted in 1 paper and only 1 day.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you are misunderstanding me.

Chad will force the Jets to cut him/trade him if Clemens beats him out.

Chad will not take back seat to any QB, he said that at this time last year.

So you are saying Chad is not a team player? Despite the fact that he took the field in Pittsburgh knowing his career could be over if he played with that bum shoulder. Interesting.

So you are saying Chad is not a team player? Despite the fact that he took the field in Pittsburgh knowing his career could be over if he played with that bum shoulder. Interesting.

Yeah he took the field in Pittsburgh which affected our passing game. I would've gave it to Sperm's boy LaMont 50 times that game.

Well, I'm just reporting what I remember him saying. And its funny you say that because I thought to myself "wow, I thought this guy was a team player"

I'll try hard to find the quote/article.

Yeah he took the field in Pittsburgh which affected our passing game. I would've gave it to Sperm's boy LaMont 50 times that game.

Had LaMont stolen all the carries from Martin, Jets woul dhave won that game going away. God that still pisses me off, LJ was just killing them.

HERM ------> :fighting0050: <------- Anyone outside of Pittsburgh

Barton, I think the context of Chad's quote was that he was coming back from his surgery to win the starting job and not be a backup. It wasnt that he wouldnt be a backup- just that he was intending on claiming the starter's position.

Barton, I think the context of Chad's quote was that he was coming back from his surgery to win the starting job and not be a backup. It wasnt that he wouldnt be a backup- just that he was intending on claiming the starter's position.

Your exactly right, Chad was very confident that he would be the starter. He always told reporters that when he plays healthy he wins and he is healthy so he sees no reason why things would change. He never said he wouldnt be a backup, I think he actually said that if Kellen wins the competition then he would deal with it when it comes, but otherwise he was just basically saying he knew from the day he could throw the ball again he would be the starter.

The same guy who postponed his 1st rotator cuff surgery for 4 weeks so he could go to Disney World. How about the same guy who rejected the Jets first offer of a restructured contract.

The same guy who postponed his 1st rotator cuff surgery for 4 weeks so he could go to Disney World. How about the same guy who rejected the Jets first offer of a restructured contract.

Right becuase spending time with your family when your career might be over and trying to work out a good deal are such terrible things... :roll:

Thats not how I remember it. I'm having a hard time locating the quote though.

Thats not how I remember it. I'm having a hard time locating the quote though.

Chad was confident he would be the starter, and Kellen said aloud that he was not ready. Finding a quote will do nothing but further prove how confident Chad was and how un-ready Kellen was.... so actually feel free!

Chad was confident he would be the starter, and Kellen said aloud that he was not ready. Finding a quote will do nothing but further prove how confident Chad was and how un-ready Kellen was.... so actually feel free!

I know that Chad was confident.

But I also remember him doing some sort of Q & A, and the question was in the jest of "What would you do if the Jets gave somebody else to starting job, and told you to be the #2" and I distinctly remember Pennington saying how he would not like that and how he would look to go "elsewhere", I distintly remember that. I just cant find the damn quote.

But I also remember him doing some sort of Q & A, and the question was in the jest of "What would you do if the Jets gave somebody else to starting job, and told you to be the #2" and I distinctly remember Pennington saying how he would not like that and how he would look to go "elsewhere", I distintly remember that. I just cant find the damn quote.

IF he thought he was still good enough to be a #1 why wouldnt he look to find a #1 job. I doubt he meant that he wouldnt stay as a #2 if he couldnt find that #1 job. Chad is a team guy, no two ways about it and thats why the guys all really like him.

IF he thought he was still good enough to be a #1 why wouldnt he look to find a #1 job. I doubt he meant that he wouldnt stay as a #2 if he couldnt find that #1 job. Chad is a team guy, no two ways about it and thats why the guys all really like him.

Like I said, you want your QB to be like that, to have an ego. Thats a compliment, not a slam. You want your starting QB to feel he should be the starter, the only real option you got, to believe in himself. So good for Chad, thats the way he should feel.

Well I cant seem to find the quote. But for the record I was NOT advocating for Chad to be cut if Clemens beats him out. I'd love to have Chad be the #2, but I do not think he will take that in stride and be comfortable with it, based on the quote and his confidence in himself to start in this league.

Right becuase spending time with your family when your career might be over and trying to work out a good deal are such terrible things... :roll:

He made a big time mistake not getting that surgery done ASAP. You cant be foolish enough to believe otherwise. If his career would have been over he would have had plenty of time (and money) to spend with his family. He could have had an extra 4 weeks of rehab if he got the surgery done the tuesday right after the steelers game, but no, he had to go on a pointless vacation and get it done a month later.

Maybe you saw it, though I didnt. But I really dont think he's like that. In this day and age of selfish players, he seems relatively selfless, contrary to the point you were trying to make.

And maybe ideally, if and when Clemens passes CP by on the depth chart, Chad could be a very good insurance policy as the #2. Surely he'd be the best backup in the league. And yeah, it's a kick in the nuts to be demoted, so i wouldnt expect a competitive guy like him to like it.

He could finish his career as a backup, on his way to a possible coaching career, which I think he'd be good at. Most accounts give him high marks for leadership abilities and getting respect from his teamates.

So, is it Clemens' time to show he is ready for prime time?

Maybe you saw it, though I didnt. But I really dont think he's like that. In this day and age of selfish players, he seems relatively selfless, contrary to the point you were trying to make.

And maybe ideally, if and when Clemens passes CP by on the depth chart, Chad could be a very good insurance policy as the #2. Surely he'd be the best backup in the league. And yeah, it's a kick in the nuts to be demoted, so i wouldnt expect a competitive guy like him to like it.

He could finish his career as a backup, on his way to a possible coaching career, which I think he'd be good at. Most accounts give him high marks for leadership abilities and getting respect from his teamates.

So, is it Clemens' time to show he is ready for prime time?

Dont forget those few players on offense last year who came out annonymously and said that Chad should be cut, and the infamous "He's like an egg back there" comment.

Clemens should simply start because he has the skills, and Pennington does not. Barring a complete disaster in training camp by Clemens, he should start.

Basically, I am saying if Clemens and Pennington are anywhere close to each other in training camp in terms of how well they are playing, then Clemens should without a doubt get the starting job.

Its about winning a superbowl. We know that Chad cannot make that happen. Clemens might be able to make it happen, but starting Chad to go 9-7 and 1 and done next year is simply not good enough like it was in 2006.

2006 was a rebuilding year, to change the culture. We so happened to make the playoffs, which automatically gave Mangini the respect of his players and had them buy into his system which was far and away the #1 goal of the 2006 season.

Is there anybody else out there who HONESTLY thinks Chad Pennington throws the ball to all parts of the field on average as often as Peyton Manning?

I mean, really. Its one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I cant believe someone is actually debating this.

Is there anybody else out there who HONESTLY thinks Chad Pennington throws the ball to all parts of the field on average as often as Peyton Manning?

I mean, really. Its one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I cant believe someone is actually debating this.

NOt all parts of the field, but he does throw all of the various distances just as often. Fight it all you want Barton but the stats dont lie.

Its about winning a superbowl. We know that Chad cannot make that happen. Clemens might be able to make it happen, but starting Chad to go 9-7 and 1 and done next year is simply not good enough like it was in 2006.

Did you miss my post on how Brett Farve is the ONLY 2nd round QB to EVER win a superbowl... I dont think I need to explain to you how the odds are against him. Chad still has a better chance than Kellen to win the big one, and you have no proof that Kellen can even win a regular season game let alone a few in the postseason.

Basically, I am saying if Clemens and Pennington are anywhere close to each other in training camp in terms of how well they are playing, then Clemens should without a doubt get the starting job.

That's a good point.

If they are close in tc and Mangini doesnt immediately name a starter, we will have a QB controversy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as it sometimes is the precursor to a QB change.

But last year Clemens wasnt even "close", so HE needs to show that he is. Thats what I was talking about the other day. Put the pressure on HIM to step up and show he's got the goods before we annoint him as the starter.

If he looks like a HS QB compared to Chad, the HC cant let down the rest of the team by playing a guy who clearly is not ready. That was the case last year.

He hasnt shown it yet, but thats in the past. I am looking forward to seeing what he's got NOW, after he had a year to study and learn and be an apprentice. Maybe we'll get some idea about where is at from the AG's reports coming out of mini-camp.

That's a good point.

If they are close in tc and Mangini doesnt immediately name a starter, we will have a QB controversy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as it sometimes is the precursor to a QB change.

But last year Clemens wasnt even "close", so HE needs to show that he is. Thats what I was talking about the other day. Put the pressure on HIM to step up and show he's got the goods before we annoint him as the starter.

If he looks like a HS QB compared to Chad, the HC cant let down the rest of the team by playing a guy who clearly is not ready. That was the case last year.

He hasnt shown it yet, but thats in the past. I am looking forward to seeing what he's got NOW, after he had a year to study and learn and be an apprentice. Maybe we'll get some idea about where is at from the AG's reports coming out of mini-camp.

The first thing would be for Kellen to think he is ready himself, last year he admitted to not being ready to start... if he can change that attitude that would be the first step. He has to KNOW he can beat out Chad, if he doesnt he is worthless.

BTW - congrats on 5k posts Jetcane

DO we want another injury prone QB? :);-)

L_IMAGE.10724db4ed6.93.88.fa.7c.1165333.jpg

No - the one you fantasize about 24/7/365 has provided enough drama to last us through the first quarter of the new millenium.

Labeling Clemens as injury prone due to a game induced ankle break is consistant with most of your rationale - dippy.

it will never happen,the only way that happens is if chad loses the first 5 or 6 games.

Really? Well, thank you Captain Obvious! But, that's not what we're debating, is it? We're debating on who should be the starter, not who the starter is. We know that Chad will be the QB, come hell or high water. What we're saying is that Chad won't win us a Super Bowl, and since we feel he can't, we should look another direction. Is that Clemens? Maybe... we don't know because the kid doesn't get a chance.

No - the one you fantasize about 24/7/365 has provided enough drama to last us through the first quarter of the new millenium.

Labeling Clemens as injury prone due to a game induced ankle break is consistant with most of your rationale - dippy.

Indeed.

You arn't injury proned if your hurt once. You're injury proned when you're hurt in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007 and beyond because you know Noodle Arm won't last two consecutive seasons going the distance.

Oh and Sperm hit it all in his last post.

Indeed.

You arn't injury proned if your hurt once. You're injury proned when you're hurt in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007 and beyond because you know Noodle Arm won't last two consecutive seasons going the distance.

Oh and Sperm hit it all in his last post.

Lets bank on the face of our franchise getting hurt... good one!

Your just mad becuase you know as long as he is healthy he will be our starting QB, and even if he got hurt there would be more media time focused on his injury and him waving the towell on the sideline then Kellen gets...

Just face it 124, he is the face of this franchise and Clemens would need to improve by record amounts this offseason to beat him for the starting job. Kellen still hasnt beat Ramsey for the #2 spot yet.

In case you didnt notice I was being sarcastic about Kellen being injury prone...

Lets bank on the face of our franchise getting hurt... good one!

Your just mad becuase you know as long as he is healthy he will be our starting QB, and even if he got hurt there would be more media time focused on his injury and him waving the towell on the sideline then Kellen gets...

Just face it 124, he is the face of this franchise and Clemens would need to improve by record amounts this offseason to beat him for the starting job. Kellen still hasnt beat Ramsey for the #2 spot yet.

In case you didnt notice I was being sarcastic about Kellen being injury prone...

Enough ecurb. This is the second post of your's I read today with him as the face of the franchise. He is not the face of this franchise. And if he is, it's not like saying Brady is the face of the Pats. What did Pennington do that made you love him so much? Now I like Penny I really do, but bro the love you have for the dude is if not creepy weird. It's not normal bro. And I know your response is going to be IM SORRY I DEFEND MY PLAYERS, AND IM DEFENDING A QUARTERBACK WITH THE BEST WINNING % IN TEAM HISTORY, A GUY WHOS WON COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR, THE GUY WHO GIVES US THE BEST SHOT AT WINNING. Blah Blah Blah...

He is the face of the franchise, when games are played on Sunday they say "Chad Pennington and the New York Jets take on..."

There are more #10 jerseys than any other on game day

Chad Pennington is the most well known player on the JETS around the NFL, the only player that even comes close is Vilma.

How is he NOT the face of the NYJ franchise? Who is if he isnt?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16401640.htm

Pennington, who threw for 3,352 yards and 17 touchdowns this season, is 2-2 in the playoffs, but the Jets have renewed hope that the team could be back on course to capture its first Super Bowl since beating the Baltimore Colts in 1969. Predicted by many observers to finish last in the AFC East, the Jets have defied expectations largely because of Pennington.

There is a different aura this season because the face of the franchise successfully recovered from two rotator-cuff tears in his throwing shoulder.

LEADING MAN

''Everything we've done this year,'' Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery told reporters this week, ``is based on what he's done this year.

``He has come back from what no one thought he could come back from.''

He is the face of the franchise, when games are played on Sunday they say "Chad Pennington and the New York Jets take on..."

There are more #10 jerseys than any other on game day

Chad Pennington is the most well known player on the JETS around the NFL, the only player that even comes close is Vilma.

How is he NOT the face of the NYJ franchise? Who is if he isnt?

Mangini is the face of the franchise in my eyes. But your probably right to most of the world he's the face of the franchise. But to Jets fans like me and most others, he's the 31 yeard old man who's thrown for 300 yards like twice, he's the guy who's spent almost half his career injured, the guy who can't throw a 15 yard out. Like I said I like Penny, and I like you for that matter, but you hype this guy up way to much.

Archived