New Private Debate - Chad vs. Kellen in '07

Maxman

Carefull, nobody gives Chad any credit now... its uncool in JetNation... lol :roll:

When Brady has a terrible game, and then comes back strong in the 4th Q, he is great.

Chad led our team better than people who hate him like Sperm would like to admit, how can you toss out all the times he came up big this year only to point out some of the rough games and blame it all on Chad?

Against NE, our defense let us down and did not give him enough time. But with Blaylock sucking ass out there Chad threw for over 300 yards and got us back in that game.

Against the Titians he made the winning TD throw to Baker late in the game.

Against the Browns he made the game tying TD to baker and we got screwed.

Against the Colts our defense couldnt hold off the SUPERBOWL Chamion Colts... Chad completed 74% of his passes for 207 yards

Against the Pats in the 2nd Mud game Pennington played as well as you would expect with the field in the shape it was and we pulled out the win.

Against Miami on Christmas day Chad struggled in the first half while the sky was falling but came back in the 2nd half and helped lead the JETS to a win with a nice TD pass to Cotch. NOt to mention he was puking on the sidelines sick all game...

I am going to go use this in the debate... dont want to waste good info!

I give Chad credit but I can see why so many people on this site want to bench him in favor of a younger QB. My only problem with that is that I think these people vastly overestimate Clemens's potential. I saw a couple of his games at Oregon and the preseason last August. Say what you want about preseason but it is football and if Clemens is such an incredible talent he shouldn't have been struggling against second and third stringers. He looked ok in the first game against TB and sucked it up afterwards.

If the Jets are going to move on from Chad Pennington, which they very well may since they can save cap space by cutting him after next season, they need to stock up on young talent at the qb position rather than just betting the house on a guy who plays like Jay Fiedler.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow yes Chad had tons to do with that Miami win didn't he? Ya know the defense didn't step up and hold Miami to 10 points or anything and Leon Washington didn't make the game winning play off a dumpoff that Ryan Leaf could make blindfolded.

Tennessee game? Awesome! Yes Chad tore it up Week 1 of the season against a Titans team with Kerry Collins as the starting Quarterback and a young secondary. Yipee!!!

Indianapolis? Yes, entirely on the defense.

The win over New England? That was all defense. Chad put up a prayer and Cotchery came down with it and that makes Chad the reason we won that game? I think not.

Chad Pennington, as Barton showed, is 7-16 against winning teams as the starting Quarterback of the New York Jets.

Chad Pennington can and will win you 9 or 10 games a season, I have no doubt in my mind that he will do that. BUT, at the same time do you want a consistent winner whose teams always fall short in the playoffs or do you want a guy with more talent and can actually put a team on his back and give them a legitimate shot at championship? If the game comes down to it do you really want Noodle Arm directing a 1 or 2 minute drill when we need 7? I don't because I don't have confidence that he'll be zipping in 15-20 yard passes down the field because he has never done it before.

Pennington is a decent QB who makes smart decisions sometimes but in big games usually comes up short or makes way too many poor decisions and costs us the game. The playoff game you can talk about his 300 yards all you want but if it's not for Cotchery running for 60 of the 75 yards on his TD and the 75 yards Penny got when the games over it shows him throwing for about 150.

Chad Pennington = Will win you 9-10 games and maybe get you a W in the playoffs each season but he will never win you a championship.

I would rather go into 2007 and struggle with Clemens as he learns than to live with Pennington yet another season, go 10-6 and maybe win one playoff game and delay the learning Clemens needs to get and will only get it by starting.

Really???

2nd Jetnation Private Debate

The participants are Barton and Ecurb. The topic is simple:

The Jets starting Quarterback in 2007 should be __________ (Chad or Kellen). Barton is taking Kellen Clemens. Ecurb is taking Chad.

It goes w/o saying.

Kellen Clemens should be the starter BECAUSE chad cannot get us to a Super Bowl. That goes w/o saying because why would I in this debate take Clemens to be next years starter if I thought Pennington could get us to a superbowl? See my point.

Chad Pennington = Will win you 9-10 games and maybe get you a W in the playoffs each season but he will never win you a championship.

I would rather go into 2007 and struggle with Clemens as he learns than to live with Pennington yet another season, go 10-6 and maybe win one playoff game and delay the learning Clemens needs to get and will only get it by starting.

This has to be one of the worst posts I have ever read.

You think that Chad can win us 9-10 games, well duh thats becuase he does!

Maybe win one playoff game, but nothing more... are you kidding? You honestly in your mind think that you know more than the JETS current staff? And if you dont think you know more, do you really think they are dumb enough to pay Chad starting QB money only to lose? When they could have cut him and had him off the books in 07'...

Our FO had two paths...

Keep Chad as their guy, restructure his contract but offer it all back if he is their guy for enough games in the season. (this is the one that happened)

Cut Chad, bring in a Vet or two to compete with Kellen in TC and pre-season and hope to break even at 8-8 all while getting Chads salary off the books in 07' and having 2 VETS and Kellen knowing the system. They also could have drafted a QB in round 1 during this situation.

They chose to stick with Chad, to say they didnt is poor logic becuase if they didnt want to stick with him they would have been much better off cutting or trading him.

Glad to know you want to step back and struggle next year though, you do know the NFL is about right now, not next year. Thnigs change fast and if you dont go for it all every year you will never get there.

Chad Pennington can and will win you 9 or 10 games a season

If he's the guy in all 16 games he damn sure isn't going to be good for those numbers next year 124.

He's 33 and 25 lifetime for the Jets. Hes a 57% of the time winning QB. Thats 9 wins/year.

What I meant to say is if Chad starts the majority of the games in a season he's good for 9 or 10 wins, nothing more.

ecurb, yes, you're 110% correct you are playing for today. KELLEN CLEMENS STILL GIVES US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP TODAY. Chad Pennington does not. Pennington will win 9 or 10 games, he's not going 12-4 or 13-3 and when teams do that it's generally because of a great defense or the Quarterback takes the team on his back and carries that team there.

Chad Pennington cannot take a team on his back and carry them to a championship or even a 13-3 type season. He is a Quarterback who if everything else around him is clicking can succeed and MAYBE get you to an AFC Championship Game, nothing else.

Do you want to win a Championship? Yes or No? If yes, you go with Clemens. If you want to win games but fall short every year, then by all means go with Chad Pennington.

The front office isn't going to cut Pennington when they can have him so cheaply, which they were able to do. If Pennington had not taken the incentive ladden deal than last season would've been a mixture of Patrick Ramsey & Kellen Clemens. Pennington currently is not getting a big salary so why not keep him around to tutor Clemens? That being said, the job should belong to Clemens and Pennington could help out in 07 as a mentor / tutor as he can sharpen Kellen's awarenesses in the pocket.

Clemens = can give you a chance to win a championship

Pennington = can bring you to the playoffs but will never bring you to the Super Bowl

If he's the guy in all 16 games he damn sure isn't going to be good for those numbers next year 124.

He's 33 and 25 lifetime for the Jets. Hes a 57% of the time winning QB. Thats 9 wins/year.

He said 9 or 10 wins, then you did the math and got 9... how was that wrong? :confused0082:

What I meant to say is if Chad starts the majority of the games in a season he's good for 9 or 10 wins, nothing more.

ecurb, yes, you're 110% correct you are playing for today. KELLEN CLEMENS STILL GIVES US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP TODAY. Chad Pennington does not. Pennington will win 9 or 10 games, he's not going 12-4 or 13-3 and when teams do that it's generally because of a great defense or the Quarterback takes the team on his back and carries that team there.

Chad Pennington cannot take a team on his back and carry them to a championship or even a 13-3 type season. He is a Quarterback who if everything else around him is clicking can succeed and MAYBE get you to an AFC Championship Game, nothing else.

Do you want to win a Championship? Yes or No? If yes, you go with Clemens. If you want to win games but fall short every year, then by all means go with Chad Pennington.

The front office isn't going to cut Pennington when they can have him so cheaply, which they were able to do. If Pennington had not taken the incentive ladden deal than last season would've been a mixture of Patrick Ramsey & Kellen Clemens. Pennington currently is not getting a big salary so why not keep him around to tutor Clemens? That being said, the job should belong to Clemens and Pennington could help out in 07 as a mentor / tutor as he can sharpen Kellen's awarenesses in the pocket.

Pennington = can bring you to the playoffs but will never bring you to the Super Bowl

:rl::rl::rl::rl:

How the hell can you come to that as an answer???

Clemens has ONE count it ONE career passing attempt in the NFL, Chad Pennington is the 2nd most accurate passer and has WON playoff games, and yet somehow Chad cant win it all and Clemens who you know next to nothing about has a better chance to get you there??

What exactly are you basing Clemens getting us their on? What if he sucks? He has just as much of a chance to be sitting on his couch watching the JETS play in their new stadium as he does being a SB QB.

You have ZERO proof that Clemens is a better playoff QB than Chad.

Clemens has ONE count it ONE career passing attempt in the NFL, Chad Pennington is the 2nd most accurate passer and has WON playoff games, and yet somehow Chad cant win it all and Clemens who you know next to nothing about has a better chance to get you there??

What exactly are you basing Clemens getting us their on? What if he sucks? He has just as much of a chance to be sitting on his couch watching the JETS play in their new stadium as he does being a SB QB.

You have ZERO proof that Clemens is a better playoff QB than Chad.

The second most accurate passer because he's thrown the least amount of attempts of all the quarterbacks who qualify for being mentioned in the ranking of all time accurate passers.:character42:

Oh and I suppose it is so very hard to dump the ball off to Richie Anderson, Jerald Sowell & B.J. Askew as well as throw short 5-10 yard passes 80% of the time for the 50 games you've started over the past 5 seasons. Give me a break

Of course there is no proof that Clemens would be a better playoff Quarterback but are you going to stick with a guy who struggles in the playoffs (minus one game) or are you going to take a chance to better yourself for a championship chase? Wow that's a real toughy huh? Well then again Mr.Chad Homer himself, you'd stick with Noodle Arm because you honestly believe he could carry a team to a championship.:eek:

Oh and I suppose it is so very hard to dump the ball off to Richie Anderson, Jerald Sowell & B.J. Askew as well as throw short 5-10 yard passes 80% of the time for the 50 games you've started over the past 5 seasons. Give me a break

Do you enjoy using lies to trick people into wanting what you do?

Chad -

Just under 20% of passes were thrown behind the LOS

Just under 50% of passes are 1-10 yards

About 20% of passes were thrown 11-20 yards

About 7% of passes were thrown 21-30 yards

About 2% of passes were thrown 31-40 yards

About 1% of passes were thrown 41+ yards

Peyton -

About 12% of passes were thrown behind the LOS

Just under 50% of passes are 1-10 yards

About 23% of passes were thrown 11-20 yards

About 9% of passes were thrown 21-30 yards

About 4% of passes were thrown 31-40 yards

About 2% of passes were thrown 41+ yards

This are approx %'s based on the Splits that the ESPN player cards provide it should not be anymore off than +/- 2%.

You have no idea whether that is a true statement or not. You have nothing to base that on. So far, he couldnt beat out CP and PATRICK RAMSEY. You cant even know if he gives you a chance to go to the playoffs.

That is the fallacy of your argument.

Kellen Clemens DID beat out Patrick Ramsey laters on in the season. The fact is Mangini was SMART to still insert Ramsey in the Houston game and in the New England game rather than Clemens because you do not put a rookie and take him off the bench and give him his longest stint of NFL action in a close game that is important for the playoffs or an actual playoff game.

Yes, Pennington most likely will start in 2007 and when we go 8-8 or 9-7 and fail to reach the playoffs or maybe we'll go 10-6 and get to the playoffs you can all spew how Chad did once again and blah blah blah and when we get bumped in the 1st or 2nd round AGAIN it will continue to show that Chad Pennington will not a win a championship.

Please do not compare Peyton Manning to Chad Pennington you lose in any argument where you try to say that Chad is 1/2 the QB that Peyton was in High School, let alone the NFL.

Pennington will start in 07 and all his big fans like ecurb and 80 will celebrate another .500 or just over .500 season with maybe a playoff win before being bounced out in the Divisional Round.

Is there proof that Clemens can be better? No, there isn't but you all continue to ignore the fact that Pennington has never done anything in the playoffs. If you want to win championships you need to take chances and Kellen Clemens with his talent has a better upside than Chad Pennington currently has. Face the facts and deal with it.

You want to see Pennington continue to start and see us continuely go 10-6 and win a playoff game a season? Fine, enjoy it but don't sit here and tell me I didn't tell you so.

I'm done here, continue to dominate him Barton. You and I both see the truth it's a shame most here don't.

Please do not compare Peyton Manning to Chad Pennington you lose in any argument where you try to say that Chad is 1/2 the QB that Peyton was in High School, let alone the NFL.

No, there isn't but you all continue to ignore the fact that Pennington has never done anything in the playoffs.

So when I show you a good point, you counter by saying dont compare them? Peyton is the better QB but the stats I showed you are VERY comparable and show that Chad distributes the ball just as well as this years superbowl QB.

Does that hurt so much becuase it takes away your fight that Chad only throws short, or should I call that another one of your lies? I put up facts and then you come up with some wild # made up in your head and then you say Chad sucks... good one..

Chad Pennington was a part of both the JETS team that shut-out the COLTS and also beat San Diego on the road in the playoffs, if your going to claim he has done nothing then make sure you also talk about how those wins meant nothing to the rest of the team as well 124. You cant have it both ways, your borderline bashing your own team just to get out your thoughts on Chad.

Is there proof that Clemens can be better? No, there isn't but you all continue to ignore the fact that Pennington has never done anything in the playoffs. If you want to win championships you need to take chances and Kellen Clemens with his talent has a better upside than Chad Pennington currently has. Face the facts and deal with it.

You want to see Pennington continue to start and see us continuely go 10-6 and win a playoff game a season? Fine, enjoy it but don't sit here and tell me I didn't tell you so.

I'm done here, continue to dominate him Barton. You and I both see the truth it's a shame most here don't.

Sounds like sour grapes, amigo.

You still havent offered anything to back up your claim that Clemens gives the Jets a chance to win a championship. Saying that CP can not is no proof of Clemens' ability.

As Sperm, #27 and I were discussing this morning, a suitable replacement must be in place before CP is given the hook. The pressure is on Clemens to step up, not the CS or fans who recognize that he still hasnt proved to be the best option. Maybe he will prove it this summer. We just dont know that yet.

Bro that's my problem with your posts lately... you're too absolutist. You have this idea that there is only ONE possible plan for the Jets, and anyone who doesn't agree with your perceived idea is cast into the "those people" pile. Expand your mind!

From all the posts I read, many of the anti-Chad group are adamant about their position. Then there are the Chad loyalists, who sometimes go over the top in defending CP; neither extreme is flexible.

But I think that right now, some flexibility is needed, depending on how things go. At some point there will be a new QB, and maybe this is the beginning of that transition period.

I dont fault anyone for wanting a new QB in there now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's a given that all Jet fans want the team to win a ring. How we get there is subject to different interpretations, and different potential solutions.

I guess that's what makes the message board go, right?

From all the posts I read, many of the anti-Chad group are adamant about their position. Then there are the Chad loyalists, who sometimes go over the top in defending CP; neither extreme is flexible.

But I think that right now, some flexibility is needed, depending on how things go. At some point there will be a new QB, and maybe this is the beginning of that transition period.

I dont fault anyone for wanting a new QB in there now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's a given that all Jet fans want the team to win a ring. How we get there is subject to different interpretations, and different potential solutions.

I have said many times that I hope Kellen turns out better than Chad, I just dont think this is the year.

Chad gives us the best shot and most reliable shot at winning the big one right now, Kellen has proven nothing and has said himself he is not ready to be the man yet.

:good:

Great post Jetcane..and I mean that.

I think it might have to get worse before it gets better at QB to achieve our ultimate goal as Jet fans..and that's to win a Super Bowl.

I think Barton just made a HUGE mistake in suggesting that if Clemens beats out Chad that Chad will be cut.

No way that happens imo. If Clemens beats out Chad the base salary won't be that big of an issue because the Jets are in good cap shape. So what's the point of cutting him in Sept? You won't be able to get a decent backup to replace him.

I couldn't disagree with that thought more.

I think Barton just made a HUGE mistake in suggesting that if Clemens beats out Chad that Chad will be cut.

No way that happens imo. If Clemens beats out Chad the base salary won't be that big of an issue because the Jets are in good cap shape. So what's the point of cutting him in Sept? You won't be able to get a decent backup to replace him.

What Ramsey isn't good enough? lol... I agree with Max, whether Clemens starts or not Penny will not be cut. I actually look at him like he's going to be a big plus for Clemens, Chad's a smart guy who i'm sure wouldn't mind working with Clemens. Couldn't you see Chad in a teachers role with Clemens? Thats if Kellen took his starting job of course.

There is zero chance that Chad gets cut.

Even if Clemens wins the job in pre-season, no FO/HC is that dumb to cut a QB who knows the audible-intensive system cold, started 16 games for us last year, AND gives us little-to-no cap relief for cutting him this year (in a year we're having no cap issues to boot). I mean, even if Clemens beats him out, who's to say he won't be bad in games. Or what do we do if Clemens starts & then gets injured?

Barton, I'm clearly not the biggest fan of Chad starting, but c'mon - cutting him would be like saying he's one of the worst QB's in the NFL (including backups) & less worthy of a roster spot than a 7th-round rookie QB.

It's not a critical debating blunder, as it has little to do with "who should start" which is the debate. Less of a "tactical error" (as JetCane called it) than touting Chad's arm strength, complete with videos from his Marshall days and also throwing a 6-yard "out pattern" dumpoff pass that STILL started to die in the air before it reached the receiver, turned said receiver, and had the added advantage of defender within 10 yards of the receiver.

I saw far, far better Patrick Ramsey's Redskins-clips posted here last year.

There is zero chance that Chad gets cut.

Even if Clemens wins the job in pre-season, no FO/HC is that dumb to cut a QB who knows the audible-intensive system cold, started 16 games for us last year, AND gives us little-to-no cap relief for cutting him this year (in a year we're having no cap issues to boot). I mean, even if Clemens beats him out, who's to say he won't be bad in games. Or what do we do if Clemens starts & then gets injured?

Barton, I'm clearly not the biggest fan of Chad starting, but c'mon - cutting him would be like saying he's one of the worst QB's in the NFL (including backups) & less worthy of a roster spot than a 7th-round rookie QB.

It's not a critical debating blunder, as it has little to do with "who should start" which is the debate. Less of a "tactical error" (as JetCane called it) than touting Chad's arm strength, complete with videos from his Marshall days and also throwing a 6-yard "out pattern" dumpoff pass that STILL started to die in the air before it reached the receiver, turned said receiver, and had the added advantage of defender within 10 yards of the receiver.

I saw far, far better Patrick Ramsey's Redskins-clips posted here last year.

I think it is a huge tactical error. He is saying that Chad isn't even good enough to backup Clemens. That goes to his mindset about Chad. And shows how little he thinks of his skill set.

He is OBVIOUSLY underestimating Chad's ability and accomplishments and I feel that is important. Because he at the same time could be overestimating Clemens.

am I the only one who thinks that these guys while good posters are bad debaters.

Wouldn't know... not really paying attention to it. Why? I don't wanna see half the posts. And, I have no real desire in the debate, for all intent and purpose. We all know Chad will probably be the starting QB, come opening day. 80%. Clemens should probably have a flyer taken on him. We all know what Chad Pennington brings to the table. A barely over .500 winning percentage, a losing record against the "good" QBs, a mediocre arm, not a great TD:INT ratio (1.65 TDs to every 1 INT), and not being able to win the big game for the Jets.

So, the way I see it is, we go with what we know, and continue to not win the big games, or we try something else. I wouldn't mind trying something else.

I think it is a huge tactical error. He is saying that Chad isn't even good enough to backup Clemens. That goes to his mindset about Chad. And shows how little he thinks of his skill set.

He is OBVIOUSLY underestimating Chad's ability and accomplishments and I feel that is important. Because he at the same time could be overestimating Clemens.

IMO they have now both made tactical errors which may just cancel each other out.

It was a mistake for ecurb to get on Barton's turf by arguing that CP's arm strength is a factor in why he should start.

Similarly, it was a mistake for Barton to suggest that CP might not even be on the team if KC became the starter.

Like Max said, it severely underestimates CP's value to the team.

And ecurb unsuccessfully attempted to prove why CP's arm strength (or lack thereof) is an asset.

But the debate was enjoyable to read once it got into a better flow. Good job, guys.

Wait a minute... what ability and accomplishments are you talking about? Being able to complete 65% of your passes to your RB? Or being comeback player of the year? Neither of which will win you any big games. Chad can't win the big one for the Jets, when they need it. While young Barton might be overestimating Clemens, you are vastly overestimating Chad. WE know what Chad is. We have no idea what Clemens is. So, let's see what the kid has.

Wait a minute... what ability and accomplishments are you talking about? Being able to complete 65% of your passes to your RB? Or being comeback player of the year? Neither of which will win you any big games. Chad can't win the big one for the Jets, when they need it. While young Barton might be overestimating Clemens, you are vastly overestimating Chad. WE know what Chad is. We have no idea what Clemens is. So, let's see what the kid has.

it will never happen,the only way that happens is if chad loses the first 5 or 6 games.

IMO they have now both made tactical errors which may just cancel each other out.

It was a mistake for ecurb to get on Barton's turf by arguing that CP's arm strength is a factor in why he should start.

Similarly, it was a mistake for Barton to suggest that CP might not even be on the team if KC became the starter.

Like Max said, it severely underestimates CP's value to the team.

And ecurb unsuccessfully attempted to prove why CP's arm strength (or lack thereof) is an asset.

But the debate was enjoyable to read once it got into a better flow. Good job, guys.

I never said Chad had a cannon of an arm but I showed ESPECIALLY with the throwing and completetion stats compared to Peyton that Chad gets the ball spread around just as well as the best QB in the NFL, slightly less deep throws but its not off by much.

Thats not me claiming Chad is a great deep throwing QB, but rather me showing how it is not needed becuase he does it just as often as the best QB in the NFL.

As for the bench/cut Chad thing... he kind of had to go that way...

Accoring to Barton, Chad is basically a cancer to Kellen. He cannot win the big one, he crumbles under pressure, ect ect... he bashed Chad so much how could he justify him staying around. SO he is smart, but accoring to Barton Kellen will be learning under a QB that cant get it done, is past his prime, and was never as good as any of us thought... :roll:

No you are misunderstanding me.

Chad will force the Jets to cut him/trade him if Clemens beats him out.

Chad will not take back seat to any QB, he said that at this time last year.

Archived