Jets Status going into the off-season

gustoonarmy

No doubt about it, next year is going to be a tough year and to finish at .500 will be an achievement that we should hit , but may hit snags along the way. If we were to finish 10-6 again I would be ecstatic.

I still think it will be a tough ask to win the AFC east however.

nyj.gifNew York Jets

Cap room: $20.8 million

Eric Mangini surprised everyone by making the Jets a contender in his first season. The mission gets tougher this year. The Jets' opponents last year had a collective winning percentage of .469. And against teams with a .500 record or better, the Jets went just 3-4. This year, their schedule is tougher (opponents' winning percentage is a collective .516), which should pull the Jets back closer to .500. The Jets have only five free agents, the only starter being right tackle Anthony Clement. They could make a few changes on the roster with wide receiver Justin McCareins, cornerback David Barrett and halfbacks Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blaylock being possible casualties. Curtis Martin will retire. Still, Mangini is molding a Bill Belichick-type of team. The players are smart and they know the game. Chad Pennington made an incredible comeback from two shoulder surgeries. With great coaching and a no-huddle option, Pennington will be pushing the Jets to challenge the Patriots for the AFC East title if they can get past the tougher schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2758756

I dont buy into this "schedule is so much harder" thing, and havent since the day it came out.

First of all, the combined record of the AFC east (excluding the Jets) was slightly better in 06 than it was in 05, and the combined record of the NFC East is a few games better than was the 2005 NFC Central. So, those two factors will raise the W-L pct., but I dont think playing the NFC east is so much harder than playing the central. It's still the NFC.

Then, if you take away the Ravens' 13-3 record, the pct. drops even more, probably closer to what it was for the 06 season. I figure the Balt game will be the hardest, but their big W-L record doesnt affect how the Jets will do against the rest of the schedule.

I just aint buying the harder schedule excuse. The level of difficulty overall may be slightly higher, but the Jets are also a lot better now than they were at this time last year.

I dont buy into this "schedule is so much harder" thing, and havent since the day it came out.

First of all, the combined record of the AFC east (excluding the Jets) was slightly better in 06 than it was in 05, and the combined record of the NFC East is a few games better than was the 2005 NFC Central. So, those two factors will raise the W-L pct., but I dont think playing the NFC east is so much harder than playing the central. It's still the NFC.

Then, if you take away the Ravens' 13-3 record, the pct. drops even more, probably closer to what it was for the 06 season. I figure the Balt game will be the hardest, but their big W-L record doesnt affect how the Jets will do against the rest of the schedule.

I just aint buying the harder schedule excuse. The level of difficulty overall may be slightly higher, but the Jets are also a lot better now than they were at this time last year.

NO FEAR baby...no fear

Are schedule is harder but it's not as hard as many people make it out to be.

Baltimore was 13-3, yes, but, they're not that good on offense, infact they're terrible and their defense looks to be losing Adalius Thomas and Ray Lewis isn't getting younger, he's getting older and each year it shows even more. I'm not scared / worried of the Baltimore game like most here are.

Aside from that game we have to play the NFC East. Okay, who knows what Dallas will be, the Giants will not be anything better but a .500 team, Philadelphia depends on when we play them and Washington is very beatable.

Then you take a look at the AFC opponents. Buffalo is always a 1-1 split, New England should be a 1-1 split and Miami is still a sweep unless we come up short in one of the two games. Tennessee is on the rise but they will come down. Pittsburgh? Bahahahaha. Right. We'll see how good Pittsburgh is next season. Cincy will be tough in Cincy and Cleveland we should be able to get revenge on so to speak when they come to the Meadowlands. And lastly, comeon guys we play the freakin Chiefs!! How can you not be excited for that game?

2007 (Home and Away vs. Buffalo, Miami, New England)

Home: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Kansas City

Away: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dallas, NY Giants, Tennessee

This schedule does not appear to be as hard as everyone is making it out to be. Jets can take 2 again from Miami will also possibly taking 2 from Buffalo. New England would most likely be a split.

Of all the games, I see New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and maybe Philly giving us the most trouble next season. But all these teams are teams that the Jets are capable of beating. Pittsburgh is on a regression and the Gints and the Boys are taking huge step backward from this season. Titans might give us trouble but I think with an improved D we are still going to be in the playoff hunt next season.

The schedule is not as bad as some make it out to be...

jets.gifEarly Breakdown of the JETS 2007 Matchups...

ecurb2369

I sort of broke it down in that thread...

Also we dont know when we will be playing these teams, what the teams will be like now vs 6 months from now...

We also only play 5 (I think) teams that made it to the playoffs...

A perfect example is the Eagles, sure they can be tough but if we get them week 1 and Mcnabb isnt ready to go suddenly that game isnt nearly as hard...

We wont know how hard it really is untill we get going into the season, but right now it is not a killer schdule at all like some make it out to be.

The schedule is not as bad as some make it out to be...

jets.gifEarly Breakdown of the JETS 2007 Matchups...

ecurb2369

I sort of broke it down in that thread...

Also we dont know when we will be playing these teams, what the teams will be like now vs 6 months from now...

We also only play 5 (I think) teams that made it to the playoffs...

A perfect example is the Eagles, sure they can be tough but if we get them week 1 and Mcnabb isnt ready to go suddenly that game isnt nearly as hard...

We wont know how hard it really is untill we get going into the season, but right now it is not a killer schdule at all like some make it out to be.

But on the same note, it's not as easy as you make it out to be.

I made this very point when people tried arguing about how tough the Jets' schedule was in 2004. We played the 15-1 Steelers & the 14-2 Pats twice. #1, we lost all 3 of those games. #2, it had zero impact on how difficult the other 13 opponents were. #3 it doesn't count teams that weren't playing so friggin' great when we faced them but finished strong, starting a month after we actually played them (SD, Buf x 2, Cincy).

Likewise, when we played Miami last year, they were a 6-10 team. When we played them earlier, they were lousy. But when we played them the 2nd time in Miami, they were playing much better (had recently beaten the Bears & Chiefs, and shut out the Patriots). According to SOS, we played a crappy 6-10 team twice. Along those lines, Tennessee was MUCH worse when we played them than they were later in the season. We played a BAD Titans team that wouldn't win a game until well into October when they squeaked out a win vs the equally bad Redskins. According to SOS, we played the 8-8 Titans.

Overall SOS is a lot of garbage. It's ok to use for tie-breakers in determining a draft slot, as it's an impartial determining factor & probably slightly better than flipping a coin. But in terms of how hard is an average opponent? It's meaningless. Your opponent in a given week is your opponent in a given week; no more and no less. Your stronger opponents in other weeks don't make the weaker ones any better teams when you face them.

I agree that the strength of schedule numbers can get skewed by playing a couple of monster teams, taking your loss and moving on to play easier teams. I still think it counts for something though, because taking a beating and being outclassed can really damage a team. One of the things that impressed me most was the Jets bouncing back from the apocolypse-better known as the Jags game.

Archived