Good read on Phillip Hughes with comment on Ohlendorf

AFJF

March 7, 2007 -- WINTER HAVEN - The shoulder tap is coming. It may be June or September or a year from now. But if there was ever a lock bet in sports, Philip Hughes being told he is going to the big leagues is it.

"I told him at some point somebody will tap you on the shoulder and say, 'It's your turn,'" Joe Torre said yesterday at Chain Of Lakes Park.

Torre has also told Hughes not to expect that tap this spring. Before the 20-year-old future of the organization threw a pitch in a bullpen session, Torre instructed Hughes he was going to start the season in Triple-A.

Since the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Hughes hasn't pitched above Double-A, where he dominated the Eastern League last summer, the plan is for him to start at Scranton-Wilkes Barre (Triple-A). How long he remains in the International League depends on what he does and what the Yankees need.

"We have to make sure we don't get ahead of ourselves," Torre said. "He has the whole package. The only thing he has to do better is make sure he polishes everything up."

With Hughes as the centerpiece, the Yankees' young pitching has never looked better. GM Brian Cashman received six minor-league arms for Gary Sheffield and Randy Johnson. The best of that bunch is 24-year-old Ross Ohlendorf, who Cashman said is dead even with Hughes.

Yesterday, in a 6-5 loss to the Indians, the Yankees' future was on display. Staff ace Chien-Ming Wang, 26, started and went three innings; allowing two runs and five hits. Hughes followed with two scoreless innings that included a pickoff of David Dellucci. He also induced Mike Rouse to hit into a double play. Ohlendorf was next and all three runs he gave up in two frames were unearned. He did surrender four hits

"He has one game at Triple-A and he has to go to Scranton," Cashman said of Ohlendorf, who was the pitcher the Yankees targeted early in their discussions with Arizona in the Johnson deal. "I wouldn't say one is ahead of the other. One ceiling is higher than the other."

That's Hughes, because he is 20 and possesses electric stuff.

"Right now they have no [major league] plans for me," Hughes said. "They have a five-man rotation. I have known that from the beginning."

Considered by some the most important name in the entire organization, there is a big plan for Hughes. His minor-league innings were kept to a minimum to keep the valuable arm away from harm.

"The goal is to get [to the majors] as soon as I can," Hughes said. "But you have to look at the big picture."

Still, Hughes is locked onto the big-league dream coming true. Asked if it was hard to hear that, at 20, he has a lot of time to reach the majors, Hughes was straightforward.

"A little bit," Hughes answered. "I would be lying if I said no."

Hit around in his first outing, Hughes was a lot calmer yesterday. And his fastball had more life on it.

"I wasn't rushing out and I was happy with the way I came back with my fastball," Hughes said.

So what about that minor league manager sneaking up from behind with the golden tap, the one that sends him to The Bronx to pitch next to Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, Wang and possibly Roger Clemens?

"I hope it's sooner than later," Hughes said. "[Torre] told me it could be at the beginning of the year, later in the year or next year."

Today, it's the Lock of the Year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will get his chance soon enough. If teh Yankees need help in April or May, it won't be him though. It will be a Kartsens/Rasner/White type.

I am hoping Hughes does not come up until Sept, at the earliest. That would mean the rotation is going well.:P

Imagine a pitching rotation of Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Clemens, and Hughes. :ahhh:

I am hoping to see one in 2 years of Wang - Hughes - Clippard - Sanchez - Olendorf - Chamberlain - Betencis - Kennedy - Norton - Kontos - Reyes - Garcia - Marquez - Wright. Ovbviously not all of them, but some combination of the above.

:P

In that case, thanks for your insight

So let me get this straight. You have to see a pitcher live to have an opinion about them? There is a reason that Ohlendorf is not on ANY of the top 100 prospects lists while hughes is top 5 in all of them and Sanchez is on all of them and Clippard is on most of them too. Saying he's "even" with the best pitching prospect in baseball is just a foolish statement. Their stats clearly show how foolish that is. Clippard's and Sanchez's too.

Chamberlain and Batances are ahead of Ohlendorf on most lists too and they have barely pitched any innings in pro ball lol.

So let me get this straight. You have to see a pitcher live to have an opinion about them? There is a reason that Ohlendorf is not on ANY of the top 100 prospects lists while hughes is top 5 in all of them and Sanchez is on all of them and Clippard is on most of them too. Saying he's "even" with the best pitching prospect in baseball is just a foolish statement. Their stats clearly show how foolish that is. Clippard's and Sanchez's too.

Chamberlain and Batances are ahead of Ohlendorf on most lists too and they have barely pitched any innings in pro ball lol.

No..it just means that despite what you may think..you are still not smarter than Brian Cashman, or Joe Torre, or Eric Mangini, or Mike Tennenbaum. That's all. Oh, and why not just put your little "lol" in your sig so you don't have to put it at the end of every single statement you make.

No..it just means that despite what you may think..you are still not smarter than Brian Cashman, or Joe Torre, or Eric Mangini, or Mike Tennenbaum. That's all. Oh, and why not just put your little "lol" in your sig so you don't have to put it at the end of every single statement you make.
Nice Job you repetitive idiot. Thats your moronic argument EVERY TIME "You're not the GM so because you're not the GM you have no right to have an opinion because you're not the GM. And did i mention you're not the GM." I didn't know that GM's of pro sports teams never make any bad moves, never say stupid things and are infallible. Thanks for teaching me.

Sure. You are now the most annoying poster here.

Lets get out of the "i'm gonna smash mike cause thats what everyone does" stupidity. Tell me honestly where i'm out of line in this thread. Someone posted an article which had a statement in it that Hughes and Ohlendorf are even. I then posted that there are NO credible sources that have Ohlendorf ranked near to hughes let alone other yankee prospects and another poster responds to that by calling me an idiot and that because i'm not the yankee GM i have no idea what i'm talking about. And I'M the annoying one?

Lets get out of the "i'm gonna smash mike cause thats what everyone does" stupidity. Tell me honestly where i'm out of line in this thread. Someone posted an article which had a statement in it that Hughes and Ohlendorf are even. I then posted that there are NO credible sources that have Ohlendorf ranked near to hughes let alone other yankee prospects and another poster responds to that by calling me an idiot and that because i'm not the yankee GM i have no idea what i'm talking about. And I'M the annoying one?

I actually agree with you about Ohlendorf.

The way you post, as if everyone is stupid, and you are the only one who knows anything, is annoying.

I actually agree with you about Ohlendorf.

The way you post, as if everyone is stupid, and you are the only one who knows anything, is annoying.

I never claimed to by the only one who knows anything. There are just things that i know about and if i see somone posting something stupid about something that i know i'm not afraid to point that out,

I never claimed to by the only one who knows anything. There are just things that i know about and if i see somone posting something stupid about something that i know i'm not afraid to point that out,

Just an innocent comment here, Mike. That is what gets you in trouble. Just because you feel you know something and have an opinion, does not make everyone else wrong and in your words "stupid".

Just an innocent comment here, Mike. That is what gets you in trouble. Just because you feel you know something and have an opinion, does not make everyone else wrong and in your words "stupid".
I didn't say anyone was stupid. But some ideas sure are...

I didn't say anyone was stupid. But some ideas sure are...

kiddo, it's all you do...you post your opinions and you rip anybody who dares to disagree with you. Sorry squirt, but you are not the smartest poster on this board, and in all honesty you don't make the top 3,000

kiddo, it's all you do...you post your opinions and you rip anybody who dares to disagree with you. Sorry squirt, but you are not the smartest poster on this board, and in all honesty you don't make the top 3,000

I wouldn't go as far as calling madmike stupid but what you said about him before that was correct.

Even when I agree and compliment him on a post he is still condescending and beyond that pissed off.

you're calling me "kiddo" and "squirt" but i'm the one who talks down to people LOL.

You've proven yourself to be one of the dumbest posters here because all you do is use the same BS argument in every thread. All you do is ignore FACTS and hide behind the GM's. It's actually quite funny.

you're calling me "kiddo" and "squirt" but i'm the one who talks down to people LOL.

You've proven yourself to be one of the dumbest posters here because all you do is use the same BS argument in every thread. All you do is ignore FACTS and hide behind the GM's. It's actually quite funny.

yes...quite funny bud..you forgot to add the "lol" to your sig...c'mon madmike, you're so much smarter than that...arent you? Of course I'm stupid for taking the word of a paid GM like Brian Cashman over yours. You are SO MUCH smarter than him. And agreeing with 99% of other baseball people who are actually able to see the logic in dealing a worthless POS like Randy Johson while you cry and beg the Yankees to hold on to a washed up 40 year old with a 5+ ERA...and not to mention keeping Ron "my lifetime ERA is approaching 6.00" VIllone over a guy like Mike Gonzalez. Yeah, you're so much smarter than everybody else. Hell, why not bring Steve Jeltz out of retirement and have him replace Derek Jeter.

yes...quite funny bud..you forgot to add the "lol" to your sig...c'mon madmike, you're so much smarter than that...arent you? Of course I'm stupid for taking the word of a paid GM like Brian Cashman over yours. You are SO MUCH smarter than him. And agreeing with 99% of other baseball people who are actually able to see the logic in dealing a worthless POS like Randy Johson while you cry and beg the Yankees to hold on to a washed up 40 year old with a 5+ ERA...and not to mention keeping Ron "my lifetime ERA is approaching 6.00" VIllone over a guy like Mike Gonzalez. Yeah, you're so much smarter than everybody else. Hell, why not bring Steve Jeltz out of retirement and have him replace Derek Jeter.

Nice. Now instead of using that insane "never question the GM" argument once a thread you now use it every post. 100% of baseball people think that Hughes and Ohlendorf ARE NOT even and that Ohlendorf isn't even in the top 4 yankee pitching prospects but i guess you'll only go with the "baseball people" when they agree with you huh? The randy johnson deal will prove to be a mistake. I doubt you'll give me any credit but i'll be proven right.

Brian Cashman also said that he was happy with having Bubba Crosby be the yankees starting CF last year so only someone who has no common sense like you would take everything he says literally.

100% of baseball people think that Hughes and Ohlendorf ARE NOT even and that Ohlendorf isn't even in the top 4 yankee pitching prospects but i guess you'll only go with the "baseball people" when they agree with you huh?

Something's wrong here. Isn't Cashman a baseball person? Didn't HE say Ohlendorf and Hughes are even?

Something's wrong here. Isn't Cashman a baseball person? Didn't HE say Ohlendorf and Hughes are even?

He made the statement. I wasn't counting him. But if you want to count him fine. 99.999999999% of baseball people then. (i don't even think cashman believes that.)

Archived