History of the 25th overall pick ( 1997-2006 )

Ghost

1997>>Jon Harris DE

1998>>Donovin Darius S

1999>>Antuan Edwards S

2000>>Chris Hovan DT

2001>>Freddie Mitchell WR

2002>>Charles Grant DT

2003>>William Joseph DT

2004>>Ahmad Carroll CB

2005>>Jason Campbell QB

2006>>Santonio Holmes WR

2007>> ???

The only players that impress me is Darius, and Grant.

1997>>Jon Harris DE

1998>>Donovin Darius S

1999>>Antuan Edwards S

2000>>Chris Hovan DT

2001>>Freddie Mitchell WR

2002>>Charles Grant DT

2003>>William Joseph DT

2004>>Ahmad Carroll CB

2005>>Jason Campbell QB

2006>>Santonio Holmes WR

2007>> ???

The only players that impress me is Darius, and Grant. It doesn't have a good past at all.

But look how many of them were offensive lineman. Look like those who want to draft a defensive player with that pick need a change of heart. Thanks for posting bro.

Campbell and Holmes still get an incomplete grade but have shown promise in limited time.

Either way those picks have nothing to do with us. This is a different draft with different players. Just because others haven't had success at the 25th pick doesn't neccissarily mean we won't.

You don't draft based on past drafts. Take this year for example, if Calvin Johnson is there for the Lions and he is considered the best player in the draft, should they pass on him just because they haven't had much success in drafting WRs in the past? I say no even though they took WRs in the past 3 1st rounds.

Campbell and Holmes still get an incomplete grade but have shown promise in limited time.

Either way those picks have nothing to do with us. This is a different draft with different players. Just because others haven't had success at the 25th pick doesn't neccissarily mean we won't.

You don't draft based on past drafts. Take this year for example, if Calvin Johnson is there for the Lions and he is considered the best player in the draft, should they pass on him just because they haven't had much success in drafting WRs in the past? I say no even though they took WRs in the past 3 1st rounds.

Matt Millen would be proud to call you a Lion fan. If they don't trade their pick, they are flat out dumb.

Its pretty well documented nearly 40% of the picks in the 20's don't pan out (not necessarily busts). Regardless of what pick we take its going to be a gamble. IMO, taking a guard that has attitude, and great skill will minimize the risk.

Matt Millen would be proud to call you a Lion fan. If they don't trade their pick, they are flat out dumb.

Its pretty well documented nearly 40% of the picks in the 20's don't pan out (not necessarily busts). Regardless of what pick we take its going to be a gamble. IMO, taking a guard that has attitude, and great skill will minimize the risk.

Depending on who else was available, I'd have no problem with Blalock at 25. He could potentially make our line dominant.

As far as the Lions yea they should definitely trade their pick but if they can't get a good deal and got stuck at #2 than they should pick CJ regardless of their history. They're not set at WR and he's pretty much the concensus best player in the draft and argueably the best prospect at his position ever, so how would it be dumb to take him?

I think Lions fans will all have a coronary if that happens.

They might end up being happy with it after the dust settled but I know it would be pretty funny if that happened :lol:. Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams would be a pretty scary combination though.

So would Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, and Roy Williams. Oh wait, that didn't work out...

mike williams and Calvin johnson look and play very similar styles. i'm not ready to call calvin a bust by any stretch of the imagination, but that would very difficult to draft Mike Williams the Second within a few drafts of each other.

So would Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, and Roy Williams. Oh wait, that didn't work out...

mike williams and Calvin johnson look and play very similar styles. i'm not ready to call calvin a bust by any stretch of the imagination, but that would very difficult to draft Mike Williams the Second within a few drafts of each other.

Mike Williams and Jonson are big physical receivers, the similarities stop there. Johnson has the speed to get deep, better hands, better work ethic, no character questions, runs better routes, is a better blocker, etc.

He'll be #1 on a lot of peoples boards so its in their best interest to trade the pick but if he tops their board and they can't trade out than they should take him without hesitation. You always go BPA in the top 5 unless its something where there's absolutely no need like if the Colts had a chance to pick Quinn or Russell or something like that.

Mike Williams and Jonson are big physical receivers, the similarities stop there. Johnson has the speed to get deep, better hands, better work ethic, no character questions, runs better routes, is a better blocker, etc.

He'll be #1 on a lot of peoples boards so its in their best interest to trade the pick but if he tops their board and they can't trade out than they should take him without hesitation. You always go BPA in the top 5 unless its something where there's absolutely no need like if the Colts had a chance to pick Quinn or Russell or something like that.

So if williams and johnson were in the same draft you're telling me williams would be drafted where? since williams can't run routes, has character questions, bad hands, and no work ethic, he really shouldn't have been drafted at all. So why was he drafted? did certain things come up AFTER the draft? that clearly could not happen to johnson. Johnson is from a football powerhouse in Georgia Tech, there would be no possible way he is a bust, he's probably the next jerry rice...

I remember some other players being #1 on people's boards that didn't work out, i'm sure you don't need a list passed leaf, enis, or salam, but they do exist.

So if williams and johnson were in the same draft you're telling me williams would be drafted where? since williams can't run routes, has character questions, bad hands, and no work ethic, he really shouldn't have been drafted at all. So why was he drafted? did certain things come up AFTER the draft? that clearly could not happen to johnson. Johnson is from a football powerhouse in Georgia Tech, there would be no possible way he is a bust, he's probably the next jerry rice...

I remember some other players being #1 on people's boards that didn't work out, i'm sure you don't need a list passed leaf, enis, or salam, but they do exist.

I did not say anywhere that Williams had bad hands, can't run routes, etc. I said Johnson has BETTER hands and runs BETTER routes, is a BETTER prospect, etc. Williams questionable work ethic was evident before the draft since I remember people thinking he was out of shape. Also, some were nervous that he'd get out of shape after he had to sit out a year because they questioned his work ethic. Anyway, I'm not gonna debate Mike Williams as a prospect, since he was a pretty good one, but it doesn't make sense to compare him to Johnson because they are on different levels as prospects. Johnson is one of the best prospects at his position in the last decade and is the best prospect I've seen (even though I've only really focused on the draft for about 4 years lol).

If they were in the same draft CJ would go ahead of him and it wouldn't be a discussion. He's better than him in pretty much every category so I don't really understand you're point there.

As far as him busting sure he can just like anyone in the draft but he has one of the highest floors of anyone in the draft. So again what's your point?

Other #1 picks busting has nothing to do with this draft. If they think he's the best player in the draft then, again, why shouldn't they take him? You're saying they shouldn't take him because he could bust? Then they shouldn't even draft anybody and trade all their picks.

i'm saying you put too much faith in a guy that got shut down by the top rated corner in college football. That same corner will have a lot of growing pains in the nfl. What happens when he goes aggainst an above average corner like dyson, or even a bad NFL corner?

My only point is there is way too much faith put into this guy, he's still a prospect, he will be top 5, but to think the Jets would trade for him (not that you implied this, others have though) is just ridiculous.

More or less, i'm a beleiver in multiple picks, not the top 5 or 10 picks. Teams like the Pats always have multiple picks and don't have to mortgage the future hoping that a Mike Williams isn't a turd.

i'm saying you put too much faith in a guy that got shut down by the top rated corner in college football. That same corner will have a lot of growing pains in the nfl. What happens when he goes aggainst an above average corner like dyson, or even a bad NFL corner?

My only point is there is way too much faith put into this guy, he's still a prospect, he will be top 5, but to think the Jets would trade for him (not that you implied this, others have though) is just ridiculous.

More or less, i'm a beleiver in multiple picks, not the top 5 or 10 picks. Teams like the Pats always have multiple picks and don't have to mortgage the future hoping that a Mike Williams isn't a turd.

I agree it would be stupid to trade up for him. It's never smart to mortgage a whole draft for one player, no matter how good, unless you have almost no needs. And even then its dangerous.

Off the top of my head I don't know what game you're referring to. I don't think he played against the top rated CB in college. Which corner are you talking about cause I don't think he played against Hall, Houston, Revis or any other 1st round corner?

As far as him getting shut down I'm watched him a lot and the only times I saw him struggle were a direct result of his starting QB who was so bad its rediculous. It never ceased to amaze me how he could have the best WR in the nation and find ways to negate that advantage. When he's suspended and his backup comes in, CJ proceeds to have one of the best games of his career, that gives you an idea of his QB situation. I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting to the NFL.

I agree it would be stupid to trade up for him. It's never smart to mortgage a whole draft for one player, no matter how good, unless you have almost no needs. And even then its dangerous.

Off the top of my head I don't know what game you're referring to. I don't think he played against the top rated CB in college. Which corner are you talking about cause I don't think he played against Hall, Houston, Revis or any other 1st round corner?

As far as him getting shut down I'm watched him a lot and the only times I saw him struggle were a direct result of his starting QB who was so bad its rediculous. It never ceased to amaze me how he could have the best WR in the nation and find ways to negate that advantage. When he's suspended and his backup comes in, CJ proceeds to have one of the best games of his career, that gives you an idea of his QB situation. I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting to the NFL.

I thought he played against Houston, I don't watch a ton of College football, only big ten really. If his QB is as bad as you say then maybe he will do well in the NFL, I mean williams was not lacking talent in college (USC or was he Texas? Roy was Texas idk...?).

When it comes down to it, i'm just skeptical of the big time receivers. Especially when there are guys like Cotchery to be had in later rounds.

I thought he played against Houston, I don't watch a ton of College football, only big ten really. If his QB is as bad as you say then maybe he will do well in the NFL, I mean williams was not lacking talent in college (USC or was he Texas? Roy was Texas idk...?).

When it comes down to it, i'm just skeptical of the big time receivers. Especially when there are guys like Cotchery to be had in later rounds.

He never went up against Houston. I believe Houston contained Jarrett, Bowe, and Mecheam. I think he got dominated by Rice. Mike Williams went to USC and Roy went to Texas. You might be thinking of Jarrett because he's the big name that was contained by Houston.

I like him a lot because I just can't find any real weaknesses to his game. He's a freak athlete, he's a great character guy, has good work ethic, and he had good production in spite of how bad his QB, Reggie Ball was.

But look how many of them were offensive lineman. Look like those who want to draft a defensive player with that pick need a change of heart. Thanks for posting bro.

That means nothing.

Should the 6th round be nothing but teams selecting QBs, since that's where the Pats took Tom Brady?

It's bad logic.

That means nothing.

Should the 6th round be nothing but teams selecting QBs, since that's where the Pats took Tom Brady?

It's bad logic.

Speaking of bad logic and sixth round picks - the Bears just traded theirs to the 5-11 Skins to get reserve SS Archuleta and his massive contract.

:)

Archived