Jets mey get squeezed - By the Pacman Jones ruling

EM31

<I posted this on another, lightly trafficked board but I am interested as to what people here think. I am sure Max won't mind JN being "sloppy seconds" in this instance>

As the rest of the league absorbs the Pacman Jones ruling. High moral character guys, with extra consideration given to players with smarts, those players will become the new darlings of this draft and probably for a few years to come as the league adopts a risk-averse strategy.

Obviously with more buyers moving into a market that we are already active in, you can expect that the cost to do business will go up for us. There will be some knee jerk reaction to overpay in terms of draft position for some of these guys.

Fortune will favor the better prepared teams, as ever, and those who have been thorough in doing their own research and due dilligence. In this respect I still expect the Jets to continue to perform better than the rest of the league in general but perhaps not in the way that might seem obvious at first glance.

I expect the "value" in this draft may actually come on players who might have gotten a bad rap unfairly. The Less well prepared teams may overlook these players in a headlong rush to regain (or preserve) their virginity while the Jets, and other teams who have done the legwork, might not.

Here's hoping.

<I posted this on another, lightly trafficked board but I am interested as to what people here think. I am sure Max won't mind JN being "sloppy seconds" in this instance>

EM when you post in multiple places you are esentially sleeping with us and all of our partners. I just wanted to say that. Personally it is cool with us, lol.

As far as the high character guys go -- what you say is true to an extent. BUT at the end of the day people aren't going to let someone slip too far because of character issues. Except in extreme cases.

I do think that 1st round talent will continue to override all else. What will happen is that these contracts might be worded differently going forward. And the league handing out suspensions\fines will help police things as well.

The league will hit the offenders where it hurts -- in the wallet.

EM when you post in multiple places you are esentially sleeping with us and all of our partners. I just wanted to say that. Personally it is cool with us, lol.

As far as the high character guys go -- what you say is true to an extent. BUT at the end of the day people aren't going to let someone slip too far because of character issues. Except in extreme cases.

I do think that 1st round talent will continue to override all else. What will happen is that these contracts might be worded differently going forward. And the league handing out suspensions\fines will help police things as well.

The league will hit the offenders where it hurts -- in the wallet.

As to your first, Henry will be happy to hear that Max.

We are probably more or less in agreement. Premier talent may slip but it will not slip too far. I was referring to the first day talent outside say the top half of the first round. If any of these guys has a question or two about them, it might be easier for GM's following the herd to simply take a pass. Remember at that point it is very hard for an outsider to say who was rated highly on your board and who was not.

Now if you are a GM and you draft a guy with a question mark who turns out to be a black hat then that might reflect poorly on you as a GM. It might even become a straw on the way to a final straw. It is very difficult for the opposite charge to be laid at your door for the guy who you passed on in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Once again, hoping our'n are smarter than their'n

As to your first, Henry will be happy to hear that Max.

We are probably more or less in agreement. Premier talent may slip but it will not slip too far. I was referring to the first day talent outside say the top half of the first round. If any of these guys has a question or two about them, it might be easier for GM's following the herd to simply take a pass. Remember at that point it is very hard for an outsider to say who was rated highly on your board and who was not.

Now if you are a GM and you draft a guy with a question mark who turns out to be a black hat then that might reflect poorly on you as a GM. It might even become a straw on the way to a final straw. It is very difficult for the opposite charge to be laid at your door for the guy who you passed on in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Once again, hoping our'n are smarter than their'n

When you say this, i immediatly think of Randy Moss. Everyone passed on him, then the vikings seemingly hit gold for the first few years. by the time his tenure was coming to a close that whole team was in shambles (i'm not blaming moss for the entire team's undoing). If the jets had a chance at a guy like this, it looks awsome for the first year, maybe even the first five, but at some point it could catch up to you.

I would just rather take a high character guy through and through, and build the team that way. on that note, what ever tangini do, i will have quite a bit of faith in their decision.

When you say this, i immediatly think of Randy Moss. Everyone passed on him, then the vikings seemingly hit gold for the first few years. by the time his tenure was coming to a close that whole team was in shambles (i'm not blaming moss for the entire team's undoing). If the jets had a chance at a guy like this, it looks awsome for the first year, maybe even the first five, but at some point it could catch up to you.

I would just rather take a high character guy through and through, and build the team that way. on that note, what ever tangini do, i will have quite a bit of faith in their decision.

are you a high character guy? :)

You are taking a guy who was taken what, #18 overall and who was, for the first seven years of his career, as dominant at his position as any player in the history of the game and then you are saying that he was not worth that #18 pick?

Are you seriously saying that?

Wow.

You are taking a guy who was taken what, #18 overall and who was, for the first seven years of his career, as dominant at his position as any player in the history of the game and then you are saying that he was not worth that #18 pick?

Are you seriously saying that?

Wow.

seeing as the trade they made when they unloaded him has crippled their franchise, and they look like hell right now.

yeah maybe it wasn't the best thing for them...long term

I actually think that because of this new ruling those who may be borderlilne issues will get their act together, these penalties are incredibly stiff...so i may be more inclined to take someone who people stray away from because of character issues (only the minor ones lol) with the reward of getting a great talent...the league has now put the players in check

I'm glad this has happened. I'm tired of dirt bag players getting chosen high and making money that they haven't even earned. I think that minor character issues will have great talent slip a few spots, minor character issues will have mediocre talent slip a few rounds, and those with more then one arrest for serious drug and violence incidents might not get drafted at all.

i hope you've been vaccinated for any std's or at least wear a forum condom.

and dude... that picture for your avatar... i hope its not your sister.

good topic, but when you think about it how many players will this really effect. overall not that many players with questionable character slip into the draft. and of those that might i think that's where you might find the real "value" now, since they may slip in the draft because of character issues but still offer real talent.

i also think character will never override a team's primary considerations to find players to fit their schemes, philosophy, needs, etc.

:penguin:

Archived