Quote Man Strikes Again...

Lil Bit Special

Herm being Herm....

I know many of you are tired of Herm bashing, but its just so much fun...

http://www.examiner.net/stories/032107/spo_032107037.shtml

Edwards excited about building winner

Chiefs coach says Chiefs will take best player available in NFL draft

By Bill Althaus

The Examiner

It might be the offseason, but Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards has been one of the busiest men in the metro area.

The Chiefs have aggressively used the free agent market to upgrade a team that went 9-7 last year and went one-and-out in the postseason.

And the animated Edwards was eager to talk about all the free-agent moves, the upcoming draft and who his starting quarterback might be in the season opener.

"We have brought in some guys who are going to make us a better football team," Edwards said Tuesday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. "The first free agent we signed was (perennial all-pro tight end) Tony Gonzalez, who was already with the team, but was a free agent.

"I think a lot of people might forget that we had to agree to terms with Tony and he's going to be a big part of the team (in 2007)."

The team also re-signed defensive linemen Ron Edwards and Jimmy Wilkerson and signed defensive tackle Alfonso Boone, left tackle Damion McIntosh, linebacker Napoleon Harris, long-snapper Jean-Philippe Darche and brought back former fan favorite Donnie Edwards, who has been playing linebacker at San Diego.

"We want to get younger, because I inherited a veteran team," Herm Edwards said. "But you need the mentors. You need the guys like Donnie Edwards, so D.J. (former No. 1 draft pick Derrick Johnson) can look across that room and see him and think, 'What has he done to play so long and be so productive?' Then, they can get together and talk about things. Every team needs those kind of players and we got a good one in Donnie Edwards."

Edwards said every member of his coaching staff is out of town, seeking that diamond in the rough who can be a successful fifth- or sixth-round pick in next month's draft.

"We start our draft meetings April 2," Edwards said, "and we've upgraded enough through free agency that we can go into the draft with that 23rd pick and take the best possible player.

"We don't need to think, 'Well, we need that player.' We can go after the guy who will help the team, whether he be an offensive lineman, a secondary player or a wide receiver - whatever - he'll be the best player on the board."

While the draft awaits the second-year coach and his staff, he's taken some time to take a hard look at his first season in Kansas City.

"We played six games last year that were won or lost by three or less points, so we could have been a lot better than 9-7," Edwards said. "We started 0-2, lost our quarterback and left tackle and rebounded and had a 7-4 record going into Cleveland (where they lost 31-28 in overtime).

"There, we hit a speed bump, a patch of ice, we wrecked our car but got over it and found a way to make the playoffs.

"But once we got in the playoffs, we didn't handle it very well (losing 23-8 at Indianapolis and not collecting a first down in the first half) and that still sticks in my craw."

The Chiefs were 6-2 at Arrowhead, 3-5 on the road and averaged eight more points per game (24 to 16) at home than on the road. "The road was our Achilles' heel," Edwards said. "And we have to find a way to remedy that." He said the best way to achieve that is by creating a competitive atmosphere within the team.

"We're going to have a lot of jobs up for grabs this year," Edwards said. "There are going to be a lot of job openings. The more competition within a team, the better that team is going to be." And one of the most visible job openings is at quarterback, where it appears former backup Damon Huard has the best shot at gaining a starting job.

When Trent Green was knocked unconscious in the first game and suffered a concussion, Huard came on and looked like a seasoned veteran rather than a journeyman backup. The team signed Huard to a three-year contract and Green is seeking employment with another NFL team. "Trent is still in Kansas City," Edwards said when asked about the former Pro Bowl player, who remains under contract with the Chiefs and would have to be traded. "The ball is in their court. I have no timetable on the quarterback position right now. We need to have a starter in place by, say, the second exhibition game.

"Will it be Trent? Huard came in with a magic wand and got it done next year and I want to give Brodie Croyle a chance. He didn't get a chance last year and we need to see what he can do. "I know Trent is out talking with other teams, and that's fine. All I can be concerned with are the players we have here. I can't coach who's not here."

The fiery coach is also looking for some team leaders to emerge.

"We need some leaders to step up," Edwards said. "It's like going into a room, and rolling a ball out there. Some guys kick it back to you and some guys pick it up and run with it. Those are the guys I'm looking for."

Edwards said he does not know the plans of perennial All-Pro guard Will Shields, who will likely retire and said he wants to see little-used wide receivers Chris Hannon and Jeff Webb get the opportunity to show what they're made of.

"They didn't get the chance last year, and that's my fault as much as anyone's," Edwards said. "They will get the chance this year."

Herm is just full of stupid quotes in this article... guess he was saving them up.

We have brought in some guys who are going to make us a better football team," Edwards said Tuesday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. "The first free agent we signed was (perennial all-pro tight end) Tony Gonzalez, who was already with the team, but was a free agent.

"I think a lot of people might forget that we had to agree to terms with Tony and he's going to be a big part of the team (in 2007)."

So their big free agent signing was keeping one of their own??? Wow. This might be the first time I ever heard someone trying to use that...

BTW, here are the Chiefs free agent signings this off season

Alfonso Boone

Jean-Philippe Darche

Donnie Edwards

Ron Edwards

Napoleon Harris

Jon McGraw

Damion McIntosh

Benny Sapp

Lawrence Tynes

Jimmy Wilkerson

"There, we hit a speed bump, a patch of ice, we wrecked our car but got over it and found a way to make the playoffs.

Too bad you were wearing your seatbelt unlike the Gov. of NJ.....

"We're going to have a lot of jobs up for grabs this year," Edwards said. "There are going to be a lot of job openings. The more competition within a team, the better that team is going to be."

:bwahaharoll::good_one::lololol::happy0071:

All I can be concerned with are the players we have here. I can't coach who's not here."

Problem is you cant coach the players who are there either....

"It's like going into a room, and rolling a ball out there. Some guys kick it back to you and some guys pick it up and run with it. Those are the guys I'm looking for."

Uhh.. wha??? When has anyone ever gone into a room and rolled a ball to see what kind of leader you are... That would make interviewing a hell of a lot more fun.... might lead to a kickball game... Plus, the guys who run with it might be criminals thinking they are stealing something while the guys who kicked it back we just returning it to you...

Sorry to bore you all, but I just couldnt pass this up....

lil Bit, I think you missed the best one.

Supposedly he was high on this one guy at the combine but the guy did poorly on the

wonderlic tests. Now he know that Carl Peterson only wants to draft smart players, he

goes to the officials and begs them to give the guy a make up test.

They agree, and when it was over he rush up to ask them how the guy did.

They said its hopeless, Look, he wrote 7 times 5 equals 33.

So Herm says, Give him a break, he only missed by one!

"We played six games last year that were won or lost by three or less points, so we could have been a lot better than 9-7," Edwards said.

Being satisfied with close losses was one of the most annoying traits Herm had..a loss is a loss you moron!

"We played six games last year that were won or lost by three or less points, so we could have been a lot better than 9-7," Edwards said.

He should have his own See and Say

This is my favorite:

How does winning a game by three or less points mean you could have had a better record?

Funny thing is he said wins and losses... so yes they could have been better than 9-7 but it also means they were close to being 3-13... :lol:

Archived