Troy Brown resigns with Patriots for 1 more year

Veteran wide receiver Troy Brown, whose sacrifice in serving double duty on defense for the New England Patriots in 2004 epitomized the selflessness of the Super Bowl champions, is returning to the team for a 13th season.

Troy Brown

Wide Receiver

New England Patriots

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

17 184 1 10.8 22 61

Brown has reached agreement, ESPN.com has learned, on a one-year contract. Financial details were not immediately available but the contract, which will be officially signed next week, is believed to be worth more than the league minimum.

The 12-year veteran, who for years has been one of the premier slot receivers in the NFL, was avidly pursued by the New Orleans Saints in recent days.

Brown, 33, was released by the Pats earlier in the offseason for salary cap considerations and the move brought sharp criticism even from some of New England's staunchest fans. At the time, Brown was due a $2.5 million option bonus in early March and a base salary of $2.5 million. New England saved a considerable amount by releasing Brown and then signing him more than two months later, after he rebuffed overtures from several teams that sought to sign him as a free agent.

While there was little doubt that Brown wanted to return to the only franchise for which he has ever played, the intentions of the Patriots toward him were uncertain for a while. New England added a trio of younger wide receivers as free agents -- former Chicago first-round pick David Terrell, Tim Dwight and Jake Schifino -- and some observers felt those acquisitions might preclude Brown's return.

In the last few days, though, the Patriots ramped up negotiations. And, at a speech earlier this week, coach Bill Belichick specifically cited Brown as a player who personifies the kind of leadership that has driven the Pats to three Super Bowl titles in four years.

"I haven't been around a better leader in 30 years in the NFL than Troy Brown," the Pats' coach told his audience. "And he would never stand up in front of a room and [deliver] a speech. It's just not what he does. But he always comes in prepared and ready to help the team. Whatever I ask him to do, he does. Play defensive back. Return punts. Whatever. He'll do it for the good of the team, and that's a great leader."

A wide receiver and punt returner his entire career, Brown was pressed into duty in the New England secondary in 2004 because of injuries, playing principally as a nickel cornerback. He responded with 17 tackles, three interceptions and five passes defensed. By moving part-time to defense, Brown sacrificed the opportunity to reach some of the bonuses he might have earned playing exclusively as a wide receiver.

Originally an eighth-round choice in the 1993 draft, Brown has appeared in 162 games and has started in 57 of them. He has 475 receptions for 5,516 yards and 25 touchdowns. The former Marshall star has returned 237 punts for a 10.6-yard average and three scores and 87 kickoffs for an average of 21.4 yards. He also has 27 rushes for 160 yards.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Veteran wide receiver Troy Brown, whose sacrifice in serving double duty on defense for the New England Patriots in 2004 epitomized the selflessness of the Super Bowl champions, is returning to the team for a 13th season.

Troy Brown

Wide Receiver

New England Patriots

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC

17 184 1 10.8 22 61

Brown has reached agreement, ESPN.com has learned, on a one-year contract. Financial details were not immediately available but the contract, which will be officially signed next week, is believed to be worth more than the league minimum.

The 12-year veteran, who for years has been one of the premier slot receivers in the NFL, was avidly pursued by the New Orleans Saints in recent days.

Brown, 33, was released by the Pats earlier in the offseason for salary cap considerations and the move brought sharp criticism even from some of New England's staunchest fans. At the time, Brown was due a $2.5 million option bonus in early March and a base salary of $2.5 million. New England saved a considerable amount by releasing Brown and then signing him more than two months later, after he rebuffed overtures from several teams that sought to sign him as a free agent.

While there was little doubt that Brown wanted to return to the only franchise for which he has ever played, the intentions of the Patriots toward him were uncertain for a while. New England added a trio of younger wide receivers as free agents -- former Chicago first-round pick David Terrell, Tim Dwight and Jake Schifino -- and some observers felt those acquisitions might preclude Brown's return.

In the last few days, though, the Patriots ramped up negotiations. And, at a speech earlier this week, coach Bill Belichick specifically cited Brown as a player who personifies the kind of leadership that has driven the Pats to three Super Bowl titles in four years.

"I haven't been around a better leader in 30 years in the NFL than Troy Brown," the Pats' coach told his audience. "And he would never stand up in front of a room and [deliver] a speech. It's just not what he does. But he always comes in prepared and ready to help the team. Whatever I ask him to do, he does. Play defensive back. Return punts. Whatever. He'll do it for the good of the team, and that's a great leader."

A wide receiver and punt returner his entire career, Brown was pressed into duty in the New England secondary in 2004 because of injuries, playing principally as a nickel cornerback. He responded with 17 tackles, three interceptions and five passes defensed. By moving part-time to defense, Brown sacrificed the opportunity to reach some of the bonuses he might have earned playing exclusively as a wide receiver.

Originally an eighth-round choice in the 1993 draft, Brown has appeared in 162 games and has started in 57 of them. He has 475 receptions for 5,516 yards and 25 touchdowns. The former Marshall star has returned 237 punts for a 10.6-yard average and three scores and 87 kickoffs for an average of 21.4 yards. He also has 27 rushes for 160 yards.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

For those who want to minimize the move, keep in mind that the Saints wanted Brown as a #3 WR and offered him more guaranteed money than the Pats.

That said, Brown is at this point a utilityman. He's a #3 or #4 guy who can probably be an OK top 2 if need be, since you know what you're getting. He will be a 3rd down slot receiver, PR man in "hands" situations (when you're not too worried about getting big return yardage but want to make SURE the ball is fielded properly), DB depth, and clubhouse guy.

This is probably his swan song season.

Glad to have him aboard though, a Patriot to the end I hope.

Our positional battles in camp are going to be brutal.

Deion Branch

David Givens

Bethel Johnson

David Terrell

PK Sam

Troy Brown

Tim Dwight

will be competing for a probably 5 WR spots. That's pretty good... and there's similar competition at LB and DB.

For those who want to minimize the move, keep in mind that the Saints wanted Brown as a #3 WR and offered him more guaranteed money than the Pats.

That said, Brown is at this point a utilityman. He's a #3 or #4 guy who can probably be an OK top 2 if need be, since you know what you're getting. He will be a 3rd down slot receiver, PR man in "hands" situations (when you're not too worried about getting big return yardage but want to make SURE the ball is fielded properly), DB depth, and clubhouse guy.

Deion Branch

David Givens

Bethel Johnson

David Terrell

PK Sam

Troy Brown

Tim Dwight

will be competing for a probably 5 WR spots. That's pretty good... and there's similar competition at LB and DB.

The Pats do the right thing as far as loyalty to Brown-dedicated player and willing to do what is good for the team over his personal goals.

Makes Garb real happy also

Going to be probably come down to injury situation if any on who actually makes the team with their receivers and defensive backs

The Pats do the right thing as far as loyalty to Brown-dedicated player and willing to do what is good for the team over his personal goals.

Makes Garb real happy also

Going to be probably come down to injury situation if any on who actually makes the team with their receivers and defensive backs

BINGO!!!!

I knew the Pats F.O. would come to their senses. What better example for the other receivers than Troy Brown? None. Zippo. There isn't any. The Pats have won their SB Championships on the TEAM theme - scrapping individual accolades for the betterment of the TEAM. Who epitomizes that more than Troy Brown? No one. Zippy Dwight and his injury prone legs can kiss my arse - Troy Brown will make the team and retire a Patriot after this season. It is what is meant to be. It will be.

I'm very happy today.

BINGO!!!!

I knew the Pats F.O. would come to their senses. What better example for the other receivers than Troy Brown? None. Zippo. There isn't any. The Pats have won their SB Championships on the TEAM theme - scrapping individual accolades for the betterment of the TEAM. Who epitomizes that more than Troy Brown? No one. Zippy Dwight and his injury prone legs can kiss my arse - Troy Brown will make the team and retire a Patriot after this season. It is what is meant to be. It will be.

I'm very happy today.

BINGO!!!!

I'm very happy today.

Congrats Garb!

I'm happy for you and the Pats did the right thing. :wink:

BINGO!!!!

I'm very happy today.

Congrats Garb!

I'm happy for you and the Pats did the right thing. :wink:

Deion Branch

David Givens

Bethel Johnson

David Terrell

PK Sam

Troy Brown

Tim Dwight

Interesting view RS.

IMHO Branch, Givens and Terrell are locks for the roster.

I think the players on the bubble are Dwight, Brown, Bethel and PK.

With Dwight's experience as both a punt and KO returner, I think he gets a roster spot as does Bethel. That leaves Brown, unless an injury sidelines one of the above, getting a mysterious PUP injury so he can be brought on in midseason in case of emergency.

Unless PK takes his head out of his a$$, which he had trouble doing last year and has an amazing camp, he is PS again or cut.

Deion Branch

David Givens

Bethel Johnson

David Terrell

PK Sam

Troy Brown

Tim Dwight

Interesting view RS.

IMHO Branch, Givens and Terrell are locks for the roster.

With Dwight's experience as both a punt and KO returner, I think he gets a roster spot as does Bethel. That leaves Brown, unless an injury sidelines one of the above, getting a mysterious PUP injury so he can be brought on in midseason in case of emergency.

Unless PK takes his head out of his a$$, which he had trouble doing last year and has an amazing camp, he is PS again or cut.

With Dwight's experience as both a punt and KO returner, I think he gets a roster spot as does Bethel.

Bethel Johnson = Dedric Ward

No way, (in my opinion) he takes a spot from Troy Brown.

With Dwight's experience as both a punt and KO returner, I think he gets a roster spot as does Bethel.

Bethel is a lock this season. He's still young and has shown enough just as a kick returner to warrant a roster spot. Troy is going to have to take someone else's spot to make this team.

Bethel is a lock this season. He's still young and has shown enough just as a kick returner to warrant a roster spot. Troy is going to have to take someone else's spot to make this team.

I'm not so sure Bethel is a lock. Troy Brown though (imo) will have a spot on the 2005 roster.

Bethel Johnson, in my opinion, will be lucky to last in this league as long as Dedric Ward has, and I doubt he will... nor will he put up even close to the modest numbers D. Ward has.

I'm just not a big Bethel Johnson fan I guess.

I'm not so sure Bethel is a lock. Troy Brown though (imo) will have a spot on the 2005 roster.

Bethel Johnson, in my opinion, will be lucky to last in this league as long as Dedric Ward has, and I doubt he will... nor will he put up even close to the modest numbers D. Ward has.

I'm just not a big Bethel Johnson fan I guess.

Archived